Local Co-op in the future?

Vithrilis

Terrarian
I was just curious with the addition of controller support coming to PC if there might be a chance that local co-op could be added to PC. What does everyone think? Constructive comments only please.

Sounds stupid to be honest. PC had never had local co-op, for any games and just because they didn't have controllers doesn't mean they didn't want it. A PC isn't meant for local co-op and it requires certain computing powers.

Actually, there are a lot of PC games out there with local co-op. All you need to do is plug in multiple controllers, some even allow you to use 1 controller and a keyboard/mouse setup, Rocket League being one of the biggest games for this. They even have split screen local co-op. Just because it's a feature you wouldn't use doesn't make it "stupid". With more and more people connecting their PC's to their TV's, local co-op on PC will become more and more popular. With more people "cutting the cord" from cable companies, the use of PC's in the living room is only on the rise.

With more and more people connecting their PC's to their TV's, local co-op on PC will become more and more popular. With more people "cutting the cord" from cable companies, the use of PC's in the living room is only on the rise.

And you based this on what source? Because you like it? Liking something doesn't make it true.

I understand the appeal for some, but I prefer to have my own gaming rig to play. Local co-op has not had any appeal to me in many years because I have to have people in the room. Enter the interwebs. Now I have a MUCH larger player pool from which to choose.

My sources? Google "cutting the cord on the rise" and you get bunch of articles about the subject, some dating back to 2014. Also do a search on Steam with the tag "Local Co-op" and see how many games come up that do have this feature. Not to mention, but the console version already has this feature and I would guess that the PC version not having controller support was the major reason for it not having it.

Sitting next to a friend or family member and playing the same game with them is a completely different experience than playing over the internet. Local co-op isn't about having the biggest pool to play in. It's about the social experience you can't get over the internet.

Now, you're entitled to your opinion, but simply stating you don't like it and that my opinion is wrong is hardly constructive

When people play PC they entend to play alone, but online with others. It's one of the advantages of a PC. If you want local co-op get a console, it's what they are made for.

Did you think up "get a console" all by yourself? And online play being an advantage of a PC?! Because consoles can't play online?! No, the advantages of a PC is that they are capable of doing so much more than consoles. And no, consoles weren't made, expressly for the purpose of co-op. To say that is just ludicrous

Did you think up "get a console" all by yourself? And online play being an advantage of a PC?! Because consoles can't play online?! No, the advantages of a PC is that they are capable of doing so much more than consoles. And no, consoles weren't made, expressly for the purpose of co-op. To say that is just ludicrous
Consoles are more prone to local co-op, so of course it wasn't the primary focus, but it's a huge part in why consoles have multiple ports for controllers is so you can play with friends. PCs don't. Obviously using two mice and two keyboards on one PC is silly as it won't work too well. That's why PC wasn't meant to feature it. And I'm sure most PC games that do feature local co-op and use a mouse and keyboard only use the keyboard as you can have one player use awsd while the other can use the arrow keys.

So back to the main topic; I stay firm in saying Terraria on PC shouldn't get local co-op. Reply if you want, but I'm leaving this discussion as I can tell it will get heated.

Sounds stupid to be honest. PC had never had local co-op, for any games and just because they didn't have controllers doesn't mean they didn't want it. A PC isn't meant for local co-op and it requires certain computing powers.

You know what really sounds stupid? The person that calls ideas stupid before demonstrating complete ignorance of the subject.

1. Many PC games have had local co-op and many are still being released that do. (Even early Risk for Windows had hotseat co-op.)
  2. "doesn't mean they didn't want it" means you're saying they might have wanted it... So you know.
  3. A PC is no less "meant" for co-op than a console. A PC can do lots of things... There have even been games designed around each players using keys from a single keyboard. You can also plug in multiple controllers that can all function just fine.
  4. Co-op does not require "certain computing powers". You, again, have no idea what you're talking about (to the point that it's laughable that you're trying to pass that crap off as knowledge). It is absurdly easy to create local co-op compared to lan/internet for a game (both of which a PC is perfectly well designed to do). Sometimes developers can even toss local co-op in after a lot of development has already been done if their code isn't horribly designed (and other factors are compatible).
Suggestion: If you're completely oblivious to a subject, it's often best to just not add your opinion backed up by bull:red:. People will often call you out on it (if not just laugh at you).

For the OP: While I'm not sure how things are set up in Terraria, there would definitely be issues to resolve before local co-op would work. In all likelihood, there would be a pile of issues to deal with and I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be.

I'll refer you to my most recent post. And I'm not at all ignorant to the fact that PC games have local co-op. But unless you want each person using some keys on a keyboard you are basically going to just use controllers to use full functionality for all players, which is why consoles are a thing.

So back to the main topic; I stay firm in saying Terraria on PC shouldn't get local co-op. Reply if you want, but I'm leaving this discussion as I can tell it will get heated.

@Garish Gnome My thoughts were that with the addition of full controller support, that a lot of these issues would be solved. I know implementing split screen for local co-op could be difficult, but I wouldn't think that it's too hard for the dev team. I think at this point in the game's life, that all that's really left to add is quality of life features, maybe some other content additions here and there, but I don't think we'll see anything on the scale of 1.3

Ohh.. playing 4 player splitscreen games all on same keyboard... (Triplane, Wings, Minebombers, etc) Those were the times. Kids these days wouldn't know about it because most games don't try it. Too bad the hardware was never made to support that many simultaneous presses perfectly even today.

Hotseat gaming is almost specifically for cases where people share computer with family or invite friends over. Others, mainly older people aren't really a part of discussion. Although it would make it better if you could both hotseat AND play with others through Internet.

You can easily just get the game on another computer, host a server (its so damned easy now), and then play. All this really does is reduce the sales of the game, which I doubt the developers would want.

I would like to chime in. I've played Terraria for years on the PS. My children and I love playing it together. I ended up getting on the PC because I wanted to see/play with the new content. Those of you with the PC version are very lucky. Once the Devs finish an update they can push it out. Have any of you on the PC version have a clue how hard and time consuming it is for the devs to release an update to the PS? Do you have a clue how far behind the console versions are compared to the PC version? I for one, would absolutely love to have local co-op on the PC version! Mainly so 1) I get to play the game with all the recent updates/additions. 2) So my kids and I can play with all the new content together, as soon as the new content comes out. For those of you who do not want split-screen, if they add it, it will not affect you because you don't need to let anyone play on your PC. The biggest reason for all of us wanting local co-op on the PC version is so we can enjoy all the new content while playing with others in the same room. Stop using your default argument of buy a console. How about you revert your PC version back several versions until the new console version comes out! And only update it to match what the console players get. Let's see how happy you would be with not having access to the new content!
That being said, I am grateful the devs do what they can to keep updating the console version and sorry they have so many hoops to jump through to get it released!
I really hope the devs would consider adding a local co-op. Even if you did a 'new' release like Don't Starve Together. I am sure there are several of us out there that would buy a new Terraria PC version that had local co-op. I have no qualms about having 4 versions of Terraria. The PS4, mobile, PC are the 3 I currently have.

I hope those of you on the PC side now understand even more, why we want a PC local co-op. We want to play the new content as soon as it comes out, and be able to play it with family and friends. Since the PC version now has controller support, it wouldn't be much more of a stretch. If anything, add local co-op to your plans for the PC version of Otherworld!

Back
Top Bottom