Looking for Laptop to Play Terraria

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendOfAbe

Terrarian
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody knows of or uses an affordable laptop to play Terraria on. I've bought 8 copies of Terraria (steam sales are the bomb) and it's kinda a shame that I have no solid computer to play even one on. I don't want some gaming laptop or anything, just something capable of playing Terraria with little or no lag. Any suggestions?

P.S. Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. Mods feel free to move it or even lock it if this sort of thing isn't allowed.

I use my Really Old HP 2000 Notebook PC, and if you set stuff up right on it, Terraria runs fine, can't really Run anything else though

4GB RAM and an i3 should do just fine. I got that for £340 three years ago...
Ok, thats a good basis to start on. I looked at some HPs but theey had mostly AMD quad cores so I'll have to look at other brands or see which is better.
[DOUBLEPOST=1428247746][/DOUBLEPOST]
I use my Really Old HP 2000 Notebook PC, and if you set stuff up right on it, Terraria runs fine, can't really Run anything else though
My older sibling has an old laptop that may run Terraria with some tweaking, but if I buy a laptop myself I would like to do some school work or one or two other games as well as Terraria.

As far as I know, AMD are just 'budget processors' that aren't as suitable for gaming as Intel Processors. This really only matters when you have a good amount of money to spend, though. With a low budget, I'd investigate the specifics of the laptops you have your eye on, because there could be a good deal out there. Happened with my old laptop; it was the only one that had an i3 processor within my budget with no real other downsides in comparison to other laptops I was looking at. Except for hard drive space which...uh...I still have trouble trying to use 100GB of data, let alone a terrabite.

My laptop, although not a gaming laptop does play quite a few games; at least the ones I play.

"ne56r48u" would be the gateway model.

It is basically intel B960 dual core with intel HD intergrated graphics. 4gb ram & 320gb hdd; runs windows 8. I haven't had much trouble, unless the game doesn't support intergrated graphics, which I find is not often. It may not be flawless, but runs well enough most games. Terraria is smooth enough, as well similar ones.

It I guess is equivalent to between an i3 & i5. Somewhere in there. Usually at some low settings for the most intensive games will be fine, but does run quite a chunk of them.

Have decent experience with this one for the last few/couple years I have had this. Believe I got it 3-4 years ago. However integrated graphics is not always best, as it really depends on how the companies set it up. It is always better to have a dedicated graphics card over integrated. Something to keep in mind while looking around. I just know my model runs decently with the many types of games that I play, among other things...

Note: when I got it, it was around $350.

If I can remember correctly, integrated graphics basically means the CPU (processor) handles the graphics. Which, in most games, adds a heck of a lot of work for it to do at once.

But it doesn't matter in Terraria or other pixel-esque games because there isn't much decent graphics in the first place.

I might be setting my sights a little too high at the moment. I've been browsing laptops around the 400-600 dollar range but if you guys found yours for cheaper I can probably check for something a bit cheaper. There are two around 500 dollars (about the same as £340 if google is anything reliable) are 8gb RAM and I TB hard drive which doesn't seem that bad and may let me do other things to. I won't ever be playing any real demanding games but I'll probably run a bunch of small ones and some schoolwork stuff. I found another one around 400 dollars with 4gb RAM and 500gb hard drive which seems more reasonable I suppose. All are i3 processors too.

I wouldn't try using my price as a reliable guideline, because laptops and computers in the UK are generally more expensive than in America.

8GB RAM is all you need for most games, even the most intense ones (note that I'm not saying it is all you need for intense games, far from it). Instances when you need more is when you're multi-tasking. This includes stuff like recording software while playing a game. RAM is pretty cheap though, but you shouldn't need any more than 4GB for anything similar to Terraria or worse.

Got to love the world of PC gaming though. Some say it is expensive, but you can get a budget laptop that is cheaper than an Xbox One/Ps4 and play great games like Terraria, Don't Starve, Binding of Issac and so on (which are really cheap games to start with and are often on offer) without issues. And also bear in mind that laptops are utility systems, so they extend in use more than the console entertainment systems.

If I can remember correctly, integrated graphics basically means the CPU (processor) handles the graphics. Which, in most games, adds a heck of a lot of work for it to do at once.

But it doesn't matter in Terraria or other pixel-esque games because there isn't much decent graphics in the first place.
Not quite... It is still a GPU. It just shares the same memory as the CPU, since they are literally integrated on the motherboard itself. Any slow downs would be caused due to skewing the memory per say... Anyway, You might be a bit off on that Terraria or similar games don't take much to memory. Granted the graphics are not as sharp as quite a few rendered games, but it is mainly more like under the hood; since it has to keep track of the blocks broken, and ones in place.

It might not look like much to some, but there is a lot more going on than one would think. It is not as high demanding as the 3D ones in the same genre, but still has a pull somewhat. However they did a pretty decent job in optimizing things... Well that is how I see it anyway.

OP:
Sounds like a decent range of specs to look at considering what you have in mind to use the system for. One reason I ended up with my laptop, as I don't really intend playing very many things on it; although ended up having a lot of games regardless. Space may add up after a while, but does take a while to fill it. Like the other person mentions, 8 gb ram is more than enough for most things. 4gb fits well assuming it is an operating system that doesn't hog it.

Hard drive space as I have seen it, I have an external tb drive, and recently got to 40% of it being used. Granted that is 4-5 years of having it. I mainly use it for backups and archive of various things. So I can only imagine that in a laptop. It would probably last quite a few years...

Well Good luck in finding one that suits what you need. :)

i managed someow to launch and use Terraria on a mediocre Toshiba netbook that used a lame single-core intel Atom 1.5GHz, had 1 Gb of ram, and used HD graphics... running windows 7. its ridiculous really; the operative system alone pretty much consumed half of the PC's processing power. and it STILL worked!

... if you can whitstand 20 minutes of waiting for a new SMALL map to be created, 3 minutes for it to load, playing on a screen with about as much resolution as a Gameboy Advance, lagging terribly with more than 4 light sources on-screen, and being unable to play on large maps at all.

truth is, terraria is so insanely light for today's standarts (the game occupies what, 400 MB?) that it pretty much comes as a guaranteed bet for any computer you use.
personaly, since my high school course is about animation and i will need a good rig for processing, i invested on a very, VERY solid asus N551j that has a ludicrously overpowered processor (i7 quad core 3.5GHz with 8 threads? YES PLEASE!), a hefty load with 12 GBs of ram and some freaking 4GB dedicated to graphics with the small but very efficient Geforce GTX850M. with this rig, i can play terraria on insane settings (pffft.... i can play Far Cry 4 maxed, Skyrim maxed with 4K textures from mods, i even dabble in Crysis 3 on mid settings with around 30-40 FPS... this computer is simply overpowered), with everything maxed on, and a resolution so massive i cannot even figure out what colour are the eyes of my character anymore. that is, if you are willing to spend 1300€ on a laptop that tends to enjoy overheating... seriously, dont use this laptop without a cooler pad.

but for a "playable" experience with affordable costs, 500€ should do just fine. make sure you have an intel i3 at the very least (a mid-high i5 is just enough for max settings already), ANYTHING that is not the integrated HD graphics (no matter... i dont care if you pick Nvidia or Radeon, anything will be preferable) and has the highest DirectX compatibility (9 is pretty comon and lets you play 90% of the games out there by the way) and at least 500Mb-1GB dedicated graphcs. i recall seeing some Geforce 500-600 class for about 80€ that has these specifications, shouldnt be too hard to find. it is enough to play a lot of games on its own, too. all the way up to left 4 dead 2... after that, it starts to be too obsolete. for ram, 2GB are more than enough, but if you plan on using large maps, high resolutions, or like to build very complex stuff with dozens of different tiles in use, maybe 4GB is a safer bet.

in Terraria's case, you should focus more on a processor than on graphics. terraria has lightweight graphics. but the true wheight of the game comes from the Scripts that run in the background - the game engine handling massive spawns, deciding random drops and loot, keeping track of everything you store, saving the location of every single block in the game, controlling the growth rate of plants... in many aspects, you can consider it a trimmed down version of Minecraft in what respects Spec demands. not a lot going on in the graphics department, but should you be careless you lag your system with too many scripts at once. this happens a lot if you run the game on a Pc that nears it's limit of power, and activate a long and complex set of Redstone. its not that the Graphics are failing - the processor + ram are, instead. in terraria, this is very visible when you summon multiple bosses in a room full of automated traps - tons of different AI scripts, timers, levers, teleports, moving player hitboxes like crazy... it really chews up your GHz.

the screen you pick should be proportional to the graphics power. too much screen resolution for a weaker graphic card means that you cant play fullscreen without performance loss, which kills the experience.

last bo no least, youj should pick an efficient Operative system. DO NOT USE VISTA. that mumbliong abomination is the worst optimized thing i have ever seen. windows 7 is the way to go. if you feel unsafe, Windows XP is ridiculously light and fully compatible with terraria, and WILL improve your performance, but mind the security risk, lack of support and new drives, and low compatibility to most things in the internet today.

if you are bold, and ESPECIALLY if you use gameiki mod, i would suggest you something that probably NO ONE ever suggested...

a wacom graphics tablet.

i am not joking! it actually works with the game... i once even killed the Wall of fless with Orichalcum-tier armor and weps without breaking a sweat.
but the wacom is inferior to the mouse for killing things, obviously.

however, if you use Gameiki extendively, and use a lot of the Creator mode with long reach enabled, you will be SHOCKED at how handy this digital pen can be - you literaly end up building things in terraria as if you were spriting on MS Paint! it is like painting, really, and allowed me already to create very interesting things.

it just so happens that this is a very unique way of playing... i do that sometimes. this comes more as a personal suggestion for fun than for actually playing the game. oh, and wacom tablets cost above 100€, so unless you plan on learning photoshop, dont even consider the investment.

Last edited:

I'm aware that Terraria can be quite demanding in terms of memory, but if we're talking about a tight budget here, then there's no need to have more than 4GB. You'd just have to be aware of what you do and minimalise the amount of processes going on.

Dell.com has some cheap laptops that might run Terraria well. You don't need a dedicated Graphics card to run Terraria, so don't let anyone tell you that, you just need a slightly new processor that is i3 or better. None of those pentium cores or AMD processors.

If I were you, I'd get a desktop as you can get a better desktop for half the price of a laptop if you buy the right one.

Thanks everyone for the help in finding a computer! I've been looking around and have found a lot of good laptops that fit all my specs around the price of 400 (sales vary so I'll save now and pick later), now all there I have to do is save up that much money. Really thanks for the help! This thread is plentiful with information so I can always refer back if I need a refresher on things too.

If the OP is aiming to do schoolwork or anything similar as well, I think a laptop would be a better buy.
He said schoolwork, but never said he needed to do it at school... If the OP was specific, like what his budget is or what he will do with said device, then we could be more specific on what he could get.

He said schoolwork, but never said he needed to do it at school... If the OP was specific, like what his budget is or what he will do with said device, then we could be more specific on what he could get.
Oh well I'll definitely be moving around with it, to friends houses or family visits (pretty frequent) and such. We have a desktop at home already but I can't download anything, especially games, for fear of a virus I guess (Parents decision). As for my budget, I'll have to save up on my own. It took me about a year to save up for a Wii U and accessories which cost about the same as this laptop will (400) but this time shouldn't take me as long as I hope to be more reserved. I do favor desktops though, if I had enough space and was at home more I would probably get one.

Last edited:
i managed someow to launch and use Terraria on a mediocre Toshiba netbook that used a lame single-core intel Atom 1.5GHz, had 1 Gb of ram, and used HD graphics... running windows 7. its ridiculous really; the operative system alone pretty much consumed half of the PC's processing power. and it STILL worked!

... if you can whitstand 20 minutes of waiting for a new SMALL map to be created, 3 minutes for it to load, playing on a screen with about as much resolution as a Gameboy Advance, lagging terribly with more than 4 light sources on-screen, and being unable to play on large maps at all.

truth is, terraria is so insanely light for today's standarts (the game occupies what, 400 MB?) that it pretty much comes as a guaranteed bet for any computer you use.
personaly, since my high school course is about animation and i will need a good rig for processing, i invested on a very, VERY solid asus N551j that has a ludicrously overpowered processor (i7 quad core 3.5GHz with 8 threads? YES PLEASE!), a hefty load with 12 GBs of ram and some freaking 4GB dedicated to graphics with the small but very efficient Geforce GTX850M. with this rig, i can play terraria on insane settings (pffft.... i can play Far Cry 4 maxed, Skyrim maxed with 4K textures from mods, i even dabble in Crysis 3 on mid settings with around 30-40 FPS... this computer is simply overpowered), with everything maxed on, and a resolution so massive i cannot even figure out what colour are the eyes of my character anymore. that is, if you are willing to spend 1300€ on a laptop that tends to enjoy overheating... seriously, dont use this laptop without a cooler pad.

but for a "playable" experience with affordable costs, 500€ should do just fine. make sure you have an intel i3 at the very least (a mid-high i5 is just enough for max settings already), ANYTHING that is not the integrated HD graphics (no matter... i dont care if you pick Nvidia or Radeon, anything will be preferable) and has the highest DirectX compatibility (9 is pretty comon and lets you play 90% of the games out there by the way) and at least 500Mb-1GB dedicated graphcs. i recall seeing some Geforce 500-600 class for about 80€ that has these specifications, shouldnt be too hard to find. it is enough to play a lot of games on its own, too. all the way up to left 4 dead 2... after that, it starts to be too obsolete. for ram, 2GB are more than enough, but if you plan on using large maps, high resolutions, or like to build very complex stuff with dozens of different tiles in use, maybe 4GB is a safer bet.

in Terraria's case, you should focus more on a processor than on graphics. terraria has lightweight graphics. but the true wheight of the game comes from the Scripts that run in the background - the game engine handling massive spawns, deciding random drops and loot, keeping track of everything you store, saving the location of every single block in the game, controlling the growth rate of plants... in many aspects, you can consider it a trimmed down version of Minecraft in what respects Spec demands. not a lot going on in the graphics department, but should you be careless you lag your system with too many scripts at once. this happens a lot if you run the game on a Pc that nears it's limit of power, and activate a long and complex set of Redstone. its not that the Graphics are failing - the processor + ram are, instead. in terraria, this is very visible when you summon multiple bosses in a room full of automated traps - tons of different AI scripts, timers, levers, teleports, moving player hitboxes like crazy... it really chews up your GHz.

the screen you pick should be proportional to the graphics power. too much screen resolution for a weaker graphic card means that you cant play fullscreen without performance loss, which kills the experience.

last bo no least, youj should pick an efficient Operative system. DO NOT USE VISTA. that mumbliong abomination is the worst optimized thing i have ever seen. windows 7 is the way to go. if you feel unsafe, Windows XP is ridiculously light and fully compatible with terraria, and WILL improve your performance, but mind the security risk, lack of support and new drives, and low compatibility to most things in the internet today.

if you are bold, and ESPECIALLY if you use gameiki mod, i would suggest you something that probably NO ONE ever suggested...

a wacom graphics tablet.

i am not joking! it actually works with the game... i once even killed the Wall of fless with Orichalcum-tier armor and weps without breaking a sweat.
but the wacom is inferior to the mouse for killing things, obviously.

however, if you use Gameiki extendively, and use a lot of the Creator mode with long reach enabled, you will be SHOCKED at how handy this digital pen can be - you literaly end up building things in terraria as if you were spriting on MS Paint! it is like painting, really, and allowed me already to create very interesting things.

it just so happens that this is a very unique way of playing... i do that sometimes. this comes more as a personal suggestion for fun than for actually playing the game. oh, and wacom tablets cost above 100€, so unless you plan on learning photoshop, dont even consider the investment.
Only comment i have is : Holy moly you got terraria working on a goddamn DOS CPU?!

i am that much of a ninja, yes.
my character was not.

it lagged terribly. but it worked! i couldnt go past BoC, all the eyes killed the lag.

you'd actually be surprised with how low-end of a computer can support terraria. i currently play on an acer aspire-one netbook (second-hand from a friend). it is old as hell, but has an early dual-core processor and handles terraria fairly well as long as i dont try to build anything extensively elaborate or play on anything bigger than a medium world (small works best). the only real downside is the really small screen (this causes legitimate issues at time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom