Mobile Mage or Ranger?

Suggest:

• Total voters

Feesh

Official Terrarian
I've given up on being a Warrior since the new update, the firing speed of spells and guns got fixed which was amazing and so did some of the swords with their swinging speed, but enemies feel like they do so much damage now. I've used Dragon Armour since 1.2.1, but it still doesn't protect me as much and I end up dying only a bit slower than if I had a ranged or caster set. I'd like to know which of the other two you guys prefer with loadouts if possible (accessories, armor, accessory prefixes, inventory/hotbar loadouts and prefixes etc) but I just need a choice to be honest, melee doesn't feel like it used to.

Last edited:
Well I will speak about mage as I have recently started giving it a go and love it. I also came from melee before. I am using the Specter set with hood for the healing bonus. Weapons I tend to carry with me are Nimbus rod, Bat Scepter, Razorpine, Typhoon, Blizzard staff, Heat ray, Golden shower (cause giving them a golden shower is LOL) and the bubble gun. I swap in other stuff for fun as well. All my weapons tend to be mystic/mythical whatever that is and my accessories are warding. Accessories I am currently using are Fishron wings, Sorcerers Emblem, Ankh shield, Magic cuffs and Avenger emblem. During boss fights or moon events I switch up a bit to have a mana flower with me.

Not in your OP but I have also been playing as a Summoner and loving that as well. Nothing like 7+ sharknados killing everything while you putz around.

I recently started being a ranger, and i was so surprised at how bloody op it is. If you get the chain gun and crystal or chlorophyte bullets, you will absoluteley rip bosses to shreds. I managed to kill fishron with it. Also the snowman cannon is just ridiculous. Slap unreal on it and buy a coupla stacks o' rocket 3s, you will be a friggin god. Accessories im using: Ankh sheild, ranger emblem, sniper scope, fishron wings and star veil. You could swap the veil out for a celestial stone if you want to sacrifice invincibility time for extra stats. I personally have three of them lucky and two warding. And of course shroomite armour. Oh... I nearly forgot... Tsunami with holy arrows.... Yeah. That will make fishron embarrased.

The ranger class is OP, especially with accessories like the destroyer emblem and the sniper scope. Mage is still amazing because of weapons like the bubble gun, but I feel it is weaker than ranger. Melee is the best class in my opinion, because having the attack beetle armour with a godly flairon immediately makes you a DPS machine, plus all warding accessories makes you a tank. Perfect!

I am dipping into Ranger now or at least giving it a go just so I can compare. So far rocking Full Shroom with just the bullet helm so far. Piranha gun, Mega shark, Chain gun, Tsunami bow, Styger, Tactical shotgun and I think that is it? All accessories are Menacing which include Sniper scope, Ranger emblem, Fishron wings, Ankh shield and Celestial stone for now. Got about 2k in both chloro and crystal bullets to play around with and see how I like.

Chain gun + chloro bullets is so easy to use, and so satisfying when you can rip any boss to shreds, it's just so expensive. Then again I've rarely played Mage, so maybe try out both and see what suits you.

Chain gun + chloro bullets is so easy to use, and so satisfying when you can rip any boss to shreds, it's just so expensive. Then again I've rarely played Mage, so maybe try out both and see what suits you.

I took the ole chain gun with chloro bullets out for a Duke test last night. Holy crap was that easy.

mage for moons. ranger for fun. cant beat that sniper. but for the mage its spectre armor with hood. all menacing accessories which are destroyer emblem avenger emblem sorcerers emblem mana flower and a natures gift.(yes i do not use wings anymore, no need since we now have flying mounts) and i only use four weapons at the moment. typoon razorblade, bubble gun, queen spider staff, and the frost hydra. all reforged to their respective best. i get about to 13 on frost moon with no arena but ice queens just take forever to kill. ill give the chain gun a try soon.
[DOUBLEPOST=1450979680,1450979571][/DOUBLEPOST]oh also a crapton of mana potions. the damage decrease isnt too horrible imo

Mage weapons are space useful. Ranged are cheaper. Though I am a melee fighter, at heart. I normally don't use ranged weapons unless I am going hysterical, like when I was fighting a Queen Bee and it wouldn't despawn after I died. Almost killed my painter. Started using ranged weapons, kept shooting it with fire arrows, before I realized my blowpipe does more damage.

Back
Top Bottom