Blocks & Decoration Magical Stairway

Which way should this be implemented?

• Stairways are universal. Press Up or Down to go that direction.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Stairways are paired sets of one-way items.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Have some of both

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I don't like either.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Frain Breeze

Terrarian
TL;DR: Background-placed doorway that warps you to another one directly above or below it.

This is for all those times you make a tall base you want to look nice, but then get stuck having to get around with ugly platforms on all the walls, or wasting space with big sets of platform stairs, or just saying "screw it" and making the whole thing only accessible with rocket boots and grappling hooks. This is an alternative.

Enter the Magical Stairway. This is a placeable object that can take you up or down to other instances of it. To obtain one, craft fallen stars with any type of door to create a magical stairway that matches that door's furniture type. Alternatively or in addition to this, the traveling merchant could sell a real fancy looking version. Appearance-wise, think of any 2D game that has doorways in the background. The end-of-level stairs from the old Prince of Persia games are a good example:
Prince of Persia stairs.png

The Magical Stairway would be 2x3 tiles when placed, or perhaps larger for more ornate versions. Using one requires another one to be placed in a straight line above or below it, possibly within a certain range limit. There are a couple ways I can think of it working, hence the poll.

A. Stairways are universal.
The stairway sprite doesn't clearly show the stairs. As long as there's another one in that direction, pressing up takes you up, and pressing down takes you down.

B. Stairways are paired sets of one-way items.
There are two stairway items, meant to be used in pairs. One shows stairs going up, and the other shows a handrail going down. Press up to enter the staircase. Or perhaps right-click.

It sounds helpful, it would make building a little easier and more fun. And it would be a great thing for adventure maps!

YES. I want this, SO much. Theoretically Teleporters are like this anyway, but at the same time, wiring them is a pain, and ...ehh, its just me, but I like my fantasy stuff over scifi.

The connected pairs of stairs would work best, methinks.

I would prefer the universal stairways. Up to go up, and down to go down. This is way easier than teleporters, and don't interfere with wiring.

I support this! But I can't help to wonder: if this makes it into the game, wouldn't it need wiring? If the team can pull this off without wires it's 10/10.

I get this is both an aesthetic as well as a functional thing but it seems to me that back wall teleporters is what you're asking for. Posts about 1.3.1 had indications that there could be wireless transmitters and receivers to link things up.

I think it'd be better if these stairs "along of some other potential sprites" were a re-skin for teleporters we have already and for them to gain the function of back wall placement. That's just my opinion though.

I get this is both an aesthetic as well as a functional thing but it seems to me that back wall teleporters is what you're asking for. Posts about 1.3.1 had indications that there could be wireless transmitters and receivers to link things up.

I think it'd be better if these stairs "along of some other potential sprites" were a re-skin for teleporters we have already and for them to gain the function of back wall placement. That's just my opinion though.

That'd work for me too :p Teleporters just really stand out in most builds.

Its functionally similar to a teleporter. but I agree that teleporters are a bit difficult to work with in most houses...

For the universal doorway, it would need a limit for the distance it can travel. Maybe a limit like 30 blocks maximum, or something like that.

YES. I want this, SO much. Theoretically Teleporters are like this anyway, but at the same time, wiring them is a pain, and ...ehh, its just me, but I like my fantasy stuff over scifi.

The connected pairs of stairs would work best, methinks.

Eh, Smart Cursor makes them really easy to wire up. Especially if it's only to the top of your build or something.

As for the idea itself, I don't see why not. Though, you are essentially getting Teleporters really early on. Really, you should have to make them with two Teleporters. Or Hallowed Bars. And the fancy looking one sold by the Traveling Merchant should only be possible to find once a Mech has been killed. It just makes a kind of balancing issue, because it's extremely cheap to make, and can be made really early on.

Eh, Smart Cursor makes them really easy to wire up. Especially if it's only to the top of your build or something.

As for the idea itself, I don't see why not. Though, you are essentially getting Teleporters really early on. Really, you should have to make them with two Teleporters. Or Hallowed Bars. And the fancy looking one sold by the Traveling Merchant should only be possible to find once a Mech has been killed. It just makes a kind of balancing issue, because it's extremely cheap to make, and can be made really early on.
I don't see how it would really be much of a balance issue. There's no horizontal component to it, so all it could possibly save you is a few seconds of falling down a hellevator.

As for wiring, I don't think this item would really need it. Programming-wise, I imagine it would just scan a straight line above or below, probably within a limited number of tiles, it to check for a destination, then take you there if it finds one. If a limited range was necessary, what do you think would be ideal?

I don't see how it would really be much of a balance issue. There's no horizontal component to it, so all it could possibly save you is a few seconds of falling down a hellevator.

As for wiring, I don't think this item would really need it. Programming-wise, I imagine it would just scan a straight line above or below, probably within a limited number of tiles, it to check for a destination, then take you there if it finds one. If a limited range was necessary, what do you think would be ideal?
If it only worked if two stairways were adjacent to each other, and had a fairly limited range, then that would make it so it wasn't as much of an issue I guess.

Back
Top Bottom