Weapons & Equip Make Chum Caster's effect work outside Blood Moons

scientistB

Dungeon Spirit
I like the Chum Caster. But even it is not enough to reel in enough enemies to reasonably obtain the elusive Vampire Frog in the short window of time the Blood Moon allows.
Of course, this is less of a problem if you have plenty of high-powered bait and other fishing gear, but by then, you're probably past the point of getting the Vampire Frog Staff.
You could argue that the Bloody Tear remedies this- and you're right- but if you want the Vampire Frog, you're not going to waste the precious 9 minutes of the rare Blood Moon to farm enemies to probably no avail, when you could probably be fishing instead.

Beginner Summoners still struggle a lot due to RNG; many people suggest things like an earlier armor set or something similar; but all I think it needs is a bit more accessibility to the early weapons. Considering I got my Slime Staff on my Master Mode run earlier than the Vampire Frog, it makes me question why it's even there if it's so time-consuming to obtain.
That aside, my suggestion is to allow the Chum Caster to still fish up Blood Moon enemies outside the Blood Moon itself; maybe with only a third of the normal chance, or maybe only at night. I can imagine this would be a little too strong in Hardmode because Dreadnautilus exists, so I'm thinking that maybe he would be exempt from this effect and can only be summoned on a Blood Moon. The Sanguine Bats are already powerful enough, but the Vampire Frog? Not so much.
This would at least require having struggled through a Blood Moon at least once with enemies that are already absurdly powerful for such an early point in the game. Getting a Chum Caster would make this issue feel a lot more fair.

Thanks for coming to my Frog Talk.

Most of the gear you can fish up at blood moons feel really weak for how rare and difficult is to aquire them, and you probably need to have much stronger gear to be able to defeat the creatures that (may) drop them.

It would be interesting to be able to fish up monsters with a special fishing rod though, outside of blood moons too, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom