Console MAKE TERRARIA CONSOLE UNIQUE FROM PC

Brightside216

Terrarian
Terraria console is forever playing catch-up with the PC version.
Since it's release on the old-Gen consoles (Xbox, PS3 etc.) the content of the game has more often than not, been behind the that of it's PC counterpart. With that trend following up until today where it has been waiting almost a year for 1.4 to drop, an update that even mobile has received.

Terraria Console's foundation and control scheme make it understandably difficult to port efficiently.
To my knowledge Terraria console operates on an entirely different engine compared to the latter mentioned versions, and therefore adding features isn't as simple as drag and drop. What's worse is even though PC also supports controller play, I know even myself as someone who enjoys to play with a controller, Terraria is really ill-suited to playing that way. Especially with certain weapons accuracy against bosses can be impossible.

If Terraria console finally does become 1:1 with the PC version...
At this point, would it really matter? It seems that most people have given up on console due to the lack of content. Despite it being well advertised on the Xbox store I would assume it's been abandoned. If it were to be up-to-date I feel it's always just going to be seen as a gimped PC version. With the added price tag on console, and how easy it is to run on even low-end PCs, it seems hardly worth the effort.

So here is my suggestion:
Give the current company responsible for the console port creative freedom!

This would mean to give the game exclusive content. Keep the familiar Terraria up until the Wall of Flesh for example, but then let it go a whole other direction. Different bosses, different NPCs, different mechanics. Really just make it it's own game. This could be highly beneficial for the following reasons:

・To not only satisfy players who will play on console anyway, but to also attract PC players and gain a bigger playerbase. (See how Terraria 3DS, though not the most accessible is still popular within the community for it's few exclusive bosses and items)

・Update structure can deviate allowing for more frequent updates and the player base won't feel the game is dead. Even if it's lacking in features at first, once the ball is rolling I know people will stick around. (Minecraft Xbox 360 edition is a big example.)

・New and existing content can be changed to accommodate for controller play better, and create for a more enjoyable experience.

・Generally will add more discussion in the community.

I want to answer all possible problems with the idea, but naturally I can't think of every one in the time writing this.

For those who will point out that both the aforementioned 3DS and old-Gen console versions have exclusive content that turned out to be unbalanced and in retrospect very simple variations on already existing content, keep in mind that was made to be more extra content you get on console rather than it being a deviation in scope for the game.

If anyone actually read this far, I appreciate it! I realise nothing ever comes from these kinds of posts, I just wanted to get it out there and hopefully start some discussion. Thanks for reading.

This is very unlikely to happen - when console developers were given creative freedom in the past, they implemented lots of broken, unbalanced and low quality content.
In addition, the new build of console is well underway so changing direction at this point would only delay the update further. The new build is bringing console into a much more similar engine to the PC version, much like the recent mobile update. Finally, this would mean that there would be no chance of crossplay between the different platforms.

No point in cross play if the controllers can't even function properly..
A lot of people, including myself are having this issue, and it's more like this bug was an issue back in 2020 and still.. Never is a focus, or a fix\solution.

This is very unlikely to happen - when console developers were given creative freedom in the past, they implemented lots of broken, unbalanced and low quality content.
In addition, the new build of console is well underway so changing direction at this point would only delay the update further. The new build is bringing console into a much more similar engine to the PC version, much like the recent mobile update. Finally, this would mean that there would be no chance of crossplay between the different platforms.
Fair opinion, my mindset on crossplay would be just that aside from the console version units already sold near nobody is going to choose the console versions to play on as they are the most expensive (Phone and PC are under half the price.), most gimped in terms of controls (They may be adding mouse and keyboard support but to me that's not really a fix.), you have to pay for Xbox Live if you want to play online on Xbox and of course you don't get benefits like Workshop or tModloader.
For a game like Minecraft or Fortnite I can understand why having 1:1 console ports works because the majority of people playing it either aren't interested in PC or don't have one powerful enough to run it within a reasonable quality. This however is not the case for Terraria.
I'm not suggesting it thinking it will make it happen, I'm quite aware of how close they are to updating the game. I just wanted to get my opinion out there as someone who enjoys playing on console in hopes they may find some way of making it successful.

Back
Top Bottom