Items Make the Cell Phone worth upgrading to.

Your thoughts?

• Perfect! Please add now!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Good, would enjoy having this in-game.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Good, but... (please comment)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Torn, I can't decided

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Meh... Interesting read though

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Bad, because... (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care / Indifferent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raynuva

Official Terrarian
I've been giving this some thought recently, and there is practically no incentive to upgrade a PDA to a Cell Phone. Sure, you get a cool sprite, and you save 4 items slots, but it's not an Accessory like most of it's components, so even if you get lucky with Modifiers, you're kinda sorry-outta-luck.

My proposal is to allow the Cellphone to function not only as a Recall Potion when you use it, but also as a Wormhole Potion to other Cell Phone carriers. As it stands right now, there is no item that replicates the effects of the Wormhole Potion, so this would be the first of it's kind. The effects are limited to your Team, the same as the Wormhole Potion, and is only limited to others carrying Cell Phones in their inventory.

This could seem abusive in a PvP server, if said server allows for instant respawns; There would be a cool down of 150 seconds (2 min, 30 sec) on a general basis, and 300 seconds (5 min) when teleporting to teammates engaged in a boss fight or event. This will reduce the speed at which you can rejoin a Boss fight, but it is independent of the Wormhole Potion itself.

If you have any constructive feedback, please do comment! I enjoy having criticisms that point out things that I may be missing, and always am looking for a nice talk about this topic.

EDIT:: Updated numbers based on feedback.

Last edited:
I like the idea that you would actually get a bonus for crafting the item, like how you get extra defence for crafting the ankh shield. This mechanic could prove to be balanced in late game. Personally I think the cooldown should be a lot longer though, maybe 5 minutes. The reason as to why I think this is because of how frequently you could teleport between players that are in different locations. Traveling to a location to do something not only prevents you from forgetting the detailed backgrounds and terrains, but I believe the traveling itself to a location where you have a goal to fulfill is a part of something that is vital in what makes terraria enjoyable for many. If you work hard to get something useful in terraria it is very rewarding, in comparison to just cheating in the best items from start which is only fun for a couple of minutes. You may argue that the time it would take to travel the world in late game takes so little time that it doesn't really matter when it comes to the work required to complete a goal that requires you to travel somewhere before you start grinding enemies, look for rare ore, etc. And you would be right to some degree, the traveling in late game requires little effort. And that is why I think it should stay in the whole process because it only adds to the rewarding feeling when said goal is complete, since the traveling requires little effort why remove it from the whole process?

Yeah, an re-usable Wormhole Potion would be very useful in Multiplayer, however I'm not sure about boss battles and PVP. The cooldown sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if people would still abuse it, but I guess if it would exist, most servers would have these items banned.

But I think it shouldn't be a huge problem, because a Cell Phone takes time to craft and not many people might have it. Still I'd like to have an re-usable Wormhole Potion.

I like the idea that you would actually get a bonus for crafting the item, like how you get extra defence for crafting the ankh shield. This mechanic could prove to be balanced in late game. Personally I think the cooldown should be a lot longer though, maybe 5 minutes. The reason as to why I think this is because of how frequently you could teleport between players that are in different locations. Traveling to a location to do something not only prevents you from forgetting the detailed backgrounds and terrains, but I believe the traveling itself to a location where you have a goal to fulfill is a part of something that is vital in what makes terraria enjoyable for many. If you work hard to get something useful in terraria it is very rewarding, in comparison to just cheating in the best items from start which is only fun for a couple of minutes. You may argue that the time it would take to travel the world in late game takes so little time that it doesn't really matter when it comes to the work required to complete a goal that requires you to travel somewhere before you start grinding enemies, look for rare ore, etc. And you would be right to some degree, the traveling in late game requires little effort. And that is why I think it should stay in the whole process because it only adds to the rewarding feeling when said goal is complete, since the traveling requires little effort why remove it from the whole process?
I tried to keep some of these things in mind when making the cooldown for it. Yes, it could be abusive, even with the cooldowns I proposed, but people typically use Wormholes to return to someone they had been travelling with. Would the requirements of the Target required to have a Cell Phone, and a cooldown of maybe 2 minutes be more balanced?
Yeah, an re-usable Wormhole Potion would be very useful in Multiplayer, however I'm not sure about boss battles and PVP. The cooldown sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if people would still abuse it, but I guess if it would exist, most servers would have these items banned.

But I think it shouldn't be a huge problem, because a Cell Phone takes time to craft and not many people might have it. Still I'd like to have an re-usable Wormhole Potion.
Another limitation is the requirement of You and the person you are teleporting to BOTH need to have a Cell Phone, and be on the same team. This helps mitigate the abusiveness factor of the item.

Probably increase the amount to make it then, because automatically obtaining wormhole effect isn't "fair", While you find a Magic Mirror which makes you not need Recall Potions anymore, but there should be perhaps an item to re-use which can be crafted into a Cell Phone with this wormhole effect would be nice.

I've been giving this some thought recently, and there is practically no incentive to upgrade a PDA to a Cell Phone. Sure, you get a cool sprite, and you save 4 items slots, but it's not an Accessory like most of it's components, so even if you get lucky with Modifiers, you're kinda sorry-outta-luck.

My proposal is to allow the Cellphone to function not only as a Recall Potion when you use it, but also as a Wormhole Potion to other Cell Phone carriers. As it stands right now, there is no item that replicates the effects of the Wormhole Potion, so this would be the first of it's kind. The effects are limited to your Team, the same as the Wormhole Potion, and is only limited to others carrying Cell Phones in their inventory.

This could seem abusive in a PvP server, if said server allows for instant respawns; There would be a cool down of 15 or 20 seconds on a general basis, and 30 seconds when teleporting while a Boss Fight is happening to any of your teammates. This will reduce the speed at which you can rejoin a Boss fight, but it is independent of the Wormhole Potion itself.

If you have any constructive feedback, please do comment! I enjoy having criticisms that point out things that I may be missing, and always am looking for a nice talk about this topic.
I think this is a really cool suggestion. If you are that late-game and did all of that farming, you need something like this. And the both of the people must have the cell phone, so it's not overpowered in any way. 100% support! (Except it needs a longer cooldown time like the other person said.) 99% Support! :D

I think this is a really cool suggestion. If you are that late-game and did all of that farming, you need something like this. And the both of the people must have the cell phone, so it's not overpowered in any way. 100% support! (Except it needs a longer cooldown time like the other person said.) 99% Support! :D
I think an increase in cooldown is warranted after a lot of thinking. Another thing would be the activation delay. If you notice, the Recall Potion is almost instantaneous, the Magic Mirror is about a second delay, and the Cell Phone has about 2 seconds of delay. I think an Activation delay of maybe 2 seconds, in addition to a 150 second CD (2 min, 30 sec) would be reasonable.

I have an idea: Rename the current Magic Mirror to Recall Mirror, add a new Wormhole Mirror which is obtainable in some other way (maybe Recall Mirror and Wormhole Potions?) and works with the cooldown you suggested and only to other players on your team with Wormhole Mirrors, combine them into a new item taking the name of the current Magic Mirror which works like both and combine THAT with the PDA to make the Cell Phone?

It kinda takes away the whole "reason to put together the PDA and Magic Mirror" thing, but it's kinda weird that it would just kinda be like "Oh hey i can do this now"

And maybe make it so people with Phones can teleport to people with Mirrors but not the other way around?

Not bad idea.
...but it need to craft cell phone with ankh shield to get...
...a legendary...
...nokia shield!
Nothing can breake it.
D83CDF1D_2x.png
D83DDC4C_2x.png

I had the same idea when discussing new item/feature ideas with a friend.

The downsides you guys are talking about with the cooldowns and requiring the other person to have a cellphone as well are kind of pointless considering the wormhole potions have no restrictions upon use. Even if the are consumable, you can still just farm a whole bunch of them. Another note, in PVP situations you still would have to open the map and find a team member to teleport to, so I don't think its a big issue as you are making it seem. This is, of course, all my opinion and I could be wrong.

Anyways, I would really love this Cellphone Wormhole Function to be added into Terraria!

Completely agree. Come on, the cell phone takes a whole lot to get, and you would need two to work like this. Besides, the cooldown would probable make it suck so much than I think I would never use it. Wormhole potion aren't that hard to get. Would you rather use a cheap item that allows you to use another again if you need it, or you would waste a lot of time getting two expensive items that ensure you're screwed if you need to teleport again during the next two minutes?

The requirement for having two of them, however, seems fitting because it's a cell phone. Right now it's a completely non-indicative name, but with that change, it would be like making a phone call to a friend.

Back
Top Bottom