Weapons & Equip Make the Rune Wizard set into an armor set [Sprites]

Firearrow15

Skeletron
~*UPDATED*~

So, the Rune Wizard set looks pretty cool. But it's not an armor set like it's Pre-Hardmode brethren. This is my take on how it could be made into one.

The Set
  • Rune Hat
    Rune_Hat.png
7 Defense
+12% Magic Damage
-6% Mana Usage​

• Rune Robe
    Rune_Robe.png
8 Defense
+8% Magic Damage and Critical strike chance
-6% Mana usage
+100 Mana​

• Set Bonus: Leave a trail of damaging runes wherever you walk.
Details: The particles that are trailed behind the player will now last much longer, leaving about a 10 block trail, and will deal damage to enemies that touch them, hitting 6 times per second at 20 damage per hit.

This set is balanced against Frost armor, because they can be acquired at about the same time. Note that this is a two-piece set, meaning that any other leggings can be equipped underneath.​

Crafting
Obviously, having the entire set drop at once from a single Rune Wizard is a bit overpowered. Just find one rune wizard and you get free armor! But no, I decided to make a new material that will drop from Rune Wizards that is used to make the armor, much like the frost core from Ice Golems. This is the Rune.

Rune
Rune.png

Material

Dropped from Rune Wizards at a 100% rate
Tooltip: The symbol seems to evoke great power...

Used to craft:

• Rune Hat
Crafting: Rune x1, Wizard hat x1, Soul of light x5, Soul of night x5, Hallowed bar x10 @ A Mythril Anvil

• Rune Robe
Crafting: Rune x1, Robe x1, Soul of light x5, Soul of night x5 Hallowed bar x20 @ A Mythril Anvil
  • Rune Staff
    Rune Staff.png
Damage: Red bolt: 42 Green Bolt: 27
Use time: 25
Knockback: 2
Velocity: 5
Mana cost: 20
Fires two bolts at once, to look like a single bolt like the Rune Wizard's attack. The red bolt does more damage and can bounce once. The Green bolt does less but can pierce three times.
Crafting: Rune x1, Light shard x1, Dark shard x1, Hallowed Bar x16 @ a Mythril anvil​

Why? Because no magic set is complete without a weapon! And the rune needed another use.
  • Rune Amulet
Rune Amulet.png

Accessory
Mana stars also restore 5 Health
Crafting: Rune x1, Hallowed bars x5 @ a Mythril anvil.

That's it. A new way to get the rune set along with making it into an armor set. With a new weapon and accessory thrown in for fun.
Feedback and balancing advice is appreciated! All sprites belong to me. Thanks for reading!

Update Details
-Changed recipe to be post-mech, an rebalanced accordingly. Now it's a mage counterpart to frost armor.
-Added Rune Amulet.

-Added Sprite for Rune Amulet

-Fixed recipe, added mana cost, and nerfed damage for Rune staff.
-Changed stats for armor. Overall, decreased defense by 6, and Crit chance by 2%, and increased damage by 10% and mana cost by 4%

Last edited:
The rune kinda looks like a tasty frosted cookie! And now I'm hungry...

Nice idea! I certainly like the idea of it becoming an armor set.

Rune wizards are hardmode, not pre hardmode.
Just so you know.
Good idea nontheless

I'll give you my support, as long as you increase the rune wizard spawn rate, otherwise you'll have to hang out underground for a REALLY long time, or get extremely lucky.

I'll give you my support, as long as you increase the rune wizard spawn rate, otherwise you'll have to hang out underground for a REALLY long time, or get extremely lucky.
They aren't THAT uncommon... I've sold off three or four sets in my current playthrough, after keeping one. You only really need two for the armor set.
15 damage in HM would just spam around 5 damage to weaker enemies and 1 to stronger so it would be useless
If you notice, the only progression-related requirement for this set besides HM is a mythril anvil. It's not balanced for HM dungeon, just like mythril's not. This is a pre-mech armor, and the HM dungeon is post-Plantera.
EDIT: I'm sorry, somewhere I thought I read dungeon in your post. The problem is raising the damage very much would make it way OP. The armor isn't a primary weapon, it's supplemental damage like the orichalcum set bonus.

Hmmmm good thing I always have a few spares of rune clothes (my favorite cosmetic set) around
So support I love wearing this and it's great idea and I like the staff it's nice for ideas like this to include something new instead of some changes

So I'm thinking of adding an accessory crafted from runes. If I do, what should the effect be?

Some ideas:
-Gives an effect similar to the set bonus.
-Mana stars restore more mana.
-Damage/critical boost based on amount of mana left.
-Something else

Give me some more ideas?

Maybe make the runes themselfs a stackable accessory to buff the rune armor?, 1 rune = buffed rune armor, 2 = more, 3 = uhh.. more? up til maybe a max of like 5? the end result should be an armor as strong as..... hallowed - chlorophyte
Or if making them stackable is too hard just do like Rune+Rune = ____ Level 1, Rune+____ Level 1 = ____ Level 2, or something

A rune wizard is this thing that spawns in hardmode that will kill you in 3 hits and will instakill you if you touch it because obviously it has super damage and god spikes on its bones

A rune wizard is this thing that spawns in hardmode that will kill you in 3 hits and will instakill you if you touch it because obviously it has super damage and god spikes on its bones
Notice, please notice, how I said I've just never seen one. I know how they function.

I always wondered why Tim dropped usable wizard stuff and Rune Wizards didn't. Definite support.

Support, since i love the rune trail. also, an idea for the accesory; Either that hearts (the ones that drop from any enemy and heal 20 hp) restore mana, or that the mana stars restore HP (but that seems OP).

Support, since i love the rune trail. also, an idea for the accesory; Either that hearts (the ones that drop from any enemy and heal 20 hp) restore mana, or that the mana stars restore HP (but that seems OP).

I think hearts also giving 20 mana would be useful. Then, a tinker with Celestial Magnet for heart attraction as well.

Back
Top Bottom