NPCs & Enemies Managing Town NPCs' outfits

Terrarian
(I think there are suggestions like this already, but couldn't find threads.)

Explained in title. Currently, we can use mannequins as random people. It's kind of okay but I think changing Town NPCs' outfits is way more fun. With that, we can have actual functional Innsmouth town and ninja village and secret service and whatever. Or do Halloween and Xmas parties with your NPCs.

I'm not sure how to bring it. Just use vanities on NPCs like mannequins (which is handy but awkward), or somehow put things in room so they change in off-screen.
[EDIT]
Maybe the smarter way is to add some 'clothing' command for NPCs. Simply opening each NPC's social slot and change it. Or the clothier has the command and he manages the whole members.

Last edited:
How I would do it is by adding a new menu type thing to the clothier npc that allows you to select vanity items for the other NPC'S. Just my opinion here.
How about expanding on this, and where you buy stuff or a separate place for nurse, there will be 3 separated armor like slots, and you can put vanity on that and it will overwrite that body part, just like a player.

Reactions: 58
Changing your NPC's clothes for them sounds weird and uncomfortable. How about if you put a dresser in their room they change their clothing every morning to a random outfit, and if you kill them you can get their outfit like the red hat or something. Of course, not player clothes but more like each NPC has at least 4 different sets of clothing and they change into one every morning if they have a dresser in their room.

How I would do it is by adding a new menu type thing to the clothier npc that allows you to select vanity items for the other NPC'S. Just my opinion here.
How about expanding on this, and where you buy stuff or a separate place for nurse, there will be 3 separated armor like slots, and you can put vanity on that and it will overwrite that body part, just like a player.
Seems practical. Add some clothing command for each NPCs, or for the clothier to manege whole members. It's very reasonable for the clothier to unlock this feature.

I like this. Simply because I will open a server one day and everyone will be wearing each others clothes. "Why is the mechanic talking about corruption"
"The hell? Gun guy is selling bombs now!" "The dryad looks a lot like the guide. It's weird and I don't know if I like this anymore."

Changing your NPC's clothes for them sounds weird and uncomfortable. How about if you put a dresser in their room they change their clothing every morning to a random outfit, and if you kill them you can get their outfit like the red hat or something. Of course, not player clothes but more like each NPC has at least 4 different sets of clothing and they change into one every morning if they have a dresser in their room.
I really want to stick to my Innsmouth... But this is also good for narratives. Maybe this could be the alternative. I don't know which one is harder to code.

I like this. Simply because I will open a server one day and everyone will be wearing each others clothes. "Why is the mechanic talking about corruption"
"The hell? Gun guy is selling bombs now!" "The dryad looks a lot like the guide. It's weird and I don't know if I like this anymore."
Yeah, playing pranks is also an option. Maybe one day log in your server and you find the whole town becoming the-guide-ville.

Last edited:
It's unreal, a bit. In real life you can't tell your people what to wear (Inb4 Kim Jong-un can!) But is giant flying Mecha-Skeleton real? Evil christmas tree destroying the world, along with robots and Ice Queen? Nope!
It's lovely idea, I totaly support it! Just imagine underwater town with NPC's in diving gears and mermaid's clothes!

It's unreal, a bit. In real life you can't tell your people what to wear (Inb4 Kim Jong-un can!) But is giant flying Mecha-Skeleton real? Evil christmas tree destroying the world, along with robots and Ice Queen? Nope!
It's lovely idea, I totaly support it! Just imagine underwater town with NPC's in diving gears and mermaid's clothes!
Well technically... And nothing ever good comes from 'well technically' but I dont care sooo...
Well technically... Although difficult and for the most part completely outside our ability it may be possible to build such 'unreal' things at some point in the future. Death trees would be on the list of easier things to do. Possibly already exist in some form.

And no, I do not say this after having seen the saw blade Christmas tree.

Back
Top Bottom