**REPORTED** Map Reset

ConnieCheewa

Terrarian
I explored EVERY INCH of my map and was about to enter hardnode when boom it all disappeared, my entire map is black.

I’ve tried a few big fixes from the Xbox thread but none worked. Any fixes for the Switch version?

I explored EVERY INCH of my map and was about to enter hardnode when boom it all disappeared, my entire map is black.

I’ve tried a few big fixes from the Xbox thread but none worked. Any fixes for the Switch version?
Hi there @ConnieCheewa that sounds extremely frustrating. Is there any pattern of events that you see that happens before the map resets? The problem with this issue is that no one can reproduce it, so there’s no way to track down a solution. If the development team could get replication steps it could help pinpoint where to look, but as it is right now this issue isn’t happening to them so it makes it difficult.

This has happened to me 4 times now.

I made a large world on 9/4/2022, master mode, with crimson. I took my endgame gear into it, and started using the zenith to clear out the map. After about a week I had explored maybe over 3/4 of the map when it crashed, and when I restarted the game the map was black again. The world itself was still the same as the last save, but the map was black. In addition, it looked like there were new traps. I believe when it crashed I had been using the zenith, exploring the caverns at the time that it crashed.

I again started exploring the map. Again I spent several days clearing out the map, and when I had about 3/4 of the map explored, the same thing happened. The game crashed, and when I opened it up again the map was black again. I thought I saw some new traps again. At the time of the crash I was not using the Zenith, just moving around the caverns.

At this point I didn't want to play anymore. But then version 1.4.4 labor of love released and I thought the issue might be fixed, even though it wasn't in the bug fixes notes. Again, about 3/4 of the map in it happened again. After looking through this map again I found new traps, and new chests as well. There was one spot where a chest had replaced a crimson altar, which was obvious because I had cleared the blocks around the altar.

At this point I'm not trying to clear out the map anymore, though I don't really want to take it to hard mode because it would be hard to manage the spread of crimson. I went into some of the other worlds that I created. When I was looking at a world I created on 1/13/2022, it crashed and when I restarted the game that world's map had reset. That was also a large world, and I hadn't taken it to hard mode yet.

I consider this a game-breaking bug because of how much I need the map to manage the spread of crimson/corruption. I don't think I was doing anything specific when it crashed, it just seems like at some point the explored map file gets too big on the Nintendo Switch. I tried to look for other posts for people that have the same problem, but I only found a little bit for the PC, and they didn't seem to have found a cause either. They had some solutions involving replacing a map file, but I can't do that on Switch.

On a side note, I just want to say I really appreciate you guys paying attention to the Switch. I was really happy when you added features that were on the PC, and I'm really happy how features are mostly released on all platforms at the same time now.

Edit Oct 21, 2022
It happened again yesterday on a world I created on 10/9/2022. A large world again. This time I actually got maybe 90% of the map cleared out before it crashed. I had mostly not been using the Zenith to spread light on the map. Shortly before the crash, I started using the Zenith again to clear out he map. I did it for maybe an hour before it crashed. This was right before the new update to 1.4.4.1.

OP, do you have anything similar? Was it a large world? Were you using a Zenith, or something else to rapidly clear up the map?

Last edited:
This has happened to me 4 times now.

I made a large world on 9/4/2022, master mode, with crimson. I took my endgame gear into it, and started using the zenith to clear out the map. After about a week I had explored maybe over 3/4 of the map when it crashed, and when I restarted the game the map was black again. The world itself was still the same as the last save, but the map was black. In addition, it looked like there were new traps. I believe when it crashed I had been using the zenith, exploring the caverns at the time that it crashed.

I again started exploring the map. Again I spent several days clearing out the map, and when I had about 3/4 of the map explored, the same thing happened. The game crashed, and when I opened it up again the map was black again. I thought I saw some new traps again. At the time of the crash I was not using the Zenith, just moving around the caverns.

At this point I didn't want to play anymore. But then version 1.4.4 labor of love released and I thought the issue might be fixed, even though it wasn't in the bug fixes notes. Again, about 3/4 of the map in it happened again. After looking through this map again I found new traps, and new chests as well. There was one spot where a chest had replaced a crimson altar, which was obvious because I had cleared the blocks around the altar.

At this point I'm not trying to clear out the map anymore, though I don't really want to take it to hard mode because it would be hard to manage the spread of crimson. I went into some of the other worlds that I created. When I was looking at a world I created on 1/13/2022, it crashed and when I restarted the game that world's map had reset. That was also a large world, and I hadn't taken it to hard mode yet.

I consider this a game-breaking bug because of how much I need the map to manage the spread of crimson/corruption. I don't think I was doing anything specific when it crashed, it just seems like at some point the explored map file gets too big on the Nintendo Switch. I tried to look for other posts for people that have the same problem, but I only found a little bit for the PC, and they didn't seem to have found a cause either. They had some solutions involving replacing a map file, but I can't do that on Switch.

On a side note, I just want to say I really appreciate you guys paying attention to the Switch. I was really happy when you added features that were on the PC, and I'm really happy how features are mostly released on all platforms at the same time now.

Edit Oct 21, 2022
It happened again yesterday on a world I created on 10/9/2022. A large world again. This time I actually got maybe 90% of the map cleared out before it crashed. I had mostly not been using the Zenith to spread light on the map. Shortly before the crash, I started using the Zenith again to clear out he map. I did it for maybe an hour before it crashed. This was right before the new update to 1.4.4.1.

OP, do you have anything similar? Was it a large world? Were you using a Zenith, or something else to rapidly clear up the map?
Me a pasado lo mismo ya 5 veces en mi Nintendo Switch el mundo se oscurece por completo y también es un mundo grande con carmesí, y usando la Zenit, espero lo resuelvan pronto, ya que esto desmotiva y el juego realmente me gusta mucho

For those of you experiencing this, would it be possible to provide a rough idea of when this tends to happen? Would you say it’s when the vast majority of your map has been explored, or is it random? Similarly, could you let me know what size of world you’re experiencing this on, as well as how many worlds your player has joined (roughly)?

Back
Top Bottom