Game Mechanics Master Mode Unlocked by Default

If the youtuber in question was either Chippygaming or Khaios, they actually designed the journey’s end trailer, so that means that they have a high likelihood of being correct.

As mentioned above, I cannot remember who uploaded the video. However, I did find the following on Discord:

2DzsHl4.png

I am curious to see how it is unlocked if it's not unlocked by default, perhaps you may need to defeat any boss and receive an item which permanently changes the world to Master.

See above!

I'm not sure if he's being serious, he tends to joke around. And if master mode is literally just 3x health and damage of normal then I would be disappointed but not suprised at the same time.

I believe damage/health modifiers are Normal x 1, Expert x 2, Master x 3. His comment was made just after the initial Master Mode announcement in Discord. Many people were asking many questions so I feel it would be unlikely he was joking in this situation.

Don't get me wrong - I completely empathise with the devs and their current stance on the situation. I just feel that surely there is an alternative that does not completely remove choice from players that enjoy very difficult content.

Last edited:
I know he's probably joking on those first two points, because if he's not, I am never touching this game again.
That or I'm learning C#.
Obviously master mode will have quadruple the health and damage of normal, and no expert-exclusive loot and will only be unlocked after defeating the Moon Lord on expert hardcore no-hit.

• Angry
Reactions: Bry
Personally, I don’t see a problem with having to beat the expert mode Moon Lord to be able to unlock Master mode. My first stab at Hardcore Expert ended up reaching the Moon Lord and dying due to a rushed and incorrect action, when normally, using a non-hardcore character I’d beat him 10/10 while being afk without using slime statues. Not saying you don’t need to put in any effort to finish expert mode, but it should be fairly easy. Also, given the rewards why would you even consider playing on normal. The extra accessory slot, worm scarf, spore sac, mechanical minecart, Shrimpy truffle? More than enough reasons to play on expert, no? If master mode offers even better rewards, it would be a no brainer in my books.

Reactions: Bry
I'm seeing a lot of responses suggesting half measures or compromises and I'd like to throw in my two cents:

This is the last update, so most everything should exist in such a state that if this game were to be dug up 20 years from now, there would be as few hitches as possible.

Therefore, I completely agree with Master Mode being unlocked by default and I think it is misguided to bar it behind an unlock. Imagine if you lost your steam account and then one day you were able to play Terraria again. you want to relive the thrill of master mode that you enjoyed back when you were a teen, except the realization hits that you need to complete the entire game on Expert before you can play your preferred game mode. It's pretty dumb.

And yes, you could just download BW, equip yourself with endgame gear, blitz through to moonlord and unlock it quickly, but:

1.) any time someone suggests "just go to builders workshop to get the items you need" it hurts because it points to a critical failure of a game system. In a perfect world, the game should give you everything you need to play it correctly without feeling the need to cheat, and for someone to bypass the feature in such a trivial way puts into question the decision to make it an unlock in the first place, not to mention PC-console parity. I don't know if there is a world with all the items on console but i would bet there's a server at least.​
2.) It is still inconvenient, as it requires a download and more than a few minutes​
Ever wonder why fighting games don't really have you unlock characters anymore? It was super annoying for tournament organizers to go through and unlock all the characters just so that pros could pick who they want. I think Terraria would be taking a huge step back if master mode was gated behind an expert moonlord defeat. Having a cool reward for beating moon lord on expert (beyond in game items) is a great idea, but making that a whole game mode is not it. Maybe you could unlock songs in the menu under an "extras" tab or something, that kind of stuff is fine.

And yes, onboarding new players is an issue, the option should be there, but with more warning. In addition, I think there should be an option (or maybe the guide could do this) to toggle down (but not up) the difficulty of your world. Master-> Expert-> Normal->Creative? (not sure about that last one). this would allow new players who were overconfident and on the verge of rage quitting still lower the difficulty without losing the progress they made, while preventing difficulty toggling cheese. If that can't be done, then adding the feature in the world selection menu to "copy world to new difficulty" would allow you to keep your old difficulty world and play at a more casual level in the other

Last edited:
Personally, I don’t see a problem with having to beat the expert mode Moon Lord to be able to unlock Master mode. My first stab at Hardcore Expert ended up reaching the Moon Lord and dying due to a rushed and incorrect action, when normally, using a non-hardcore character I’d beat him 10/10 while being afk without using slime statues. Not saying you don’t need to put in any effort to finish expert mode, but it should be fairly easy. Also, given the rewards why would you even consider playing on normal. The extra accessory slot, worm scarf, spore sac, mechanical minecart, Shrimpy truffle? More than enough reasons to play on expert, no? If master mode offers even better rewards, it would be a no brainer in my books.
Plenty of reasons to play normal mode. disregarding casual players is not helpful. Not everyone is an elite gamer, and might struggle in normal mode, but the experience of getting slaughtered in a cruel world shouldn't be denied. Also, you are coming at this from a single player perspective (specifically, your single player perspective), but the reasons for playing on normal become a lot more apparent when you factor in multiplayer. People are going to want different things. not everyone wants the coolest gear, the toughest fights, or the most brutal of status condtitions. some build, or just goof off and hang out with Terraria more as a background activity. That said, Master Mode should still be an option, because maybe mindless repeated murder-by-slimes is just what someone wanted.

If it's like choosing your world evil which requires defeating the wall of flesh, it'll probably just be a setting in the config file which is easy enough to change.

Not wading into the debate itself, as how Master works will be decided by the higher ups... however...

1.) any time someone suggests "just go to builders workshop to get the items you need" it hurts because it points to a critical failure of a game system. In a perfect world, the game should give you everything you need to play it correctly without feeling the need to cheat, and for someone to bypass the feature in such a trivial way puts into question the decision to make it an unlock in the first place, not to mention PC-console parity. I don't know if there is a world with all the items on console but i would bet there's a server at least.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't quite fit. Using an "all items world" such as BW to go give yourself stuff has little to do with the core progression of the game (wherein you absolutely can and do receive/craft gear to generate further progression) and more to do with cheating and/or people being unwilling to play the game to get the things.

It is no different than a cheat code or an old school Game Genie.

Sure, some items are very rare or require some farming to get - that is by design - but those items are not "needed to play the game correctly"... and, of course, the beauty of a game like Terraria is "define correctly", right? I've not seen two people play it precisely the same way yet. ;)

Not wading into the debate itself, as how Master works will be decided by the higher ups... however...

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't quite fit. Using an "all items world" such as BW to go give yourself stuff has little to do with the core progression of the game (wherein you absolutely can and do receive/craft gear to generate further progression) and more to do with cheating and/or people being unwilling to play the game to get the things.

It is no different than a cheat code or an old school Game Genie.

Sure, some items are very rare or require some farming to get - that is by design - but those items are not "needed to play the game correctly"... and, of course, the beauty of a game like Terraria is "define correctly", right? I've not seen two people play it precisely the same way yet. ;)

Thanks for the reply, Loki!

I think I may have not articulated myself well enough in the quoted post.

My comment is just framed within the context of someone wanting to unlock master mode quickly compelled to cheat items for the express purpose of beating moonlord in expert to then play master mode, possibly normally without endgame items.

When i talked about "the game should give you everything you need to play it correctly" I was talking in a more meta sense for game modes, not items. (gives you the option to play master mode in the form of a normal button rather than an unlock). Correctly to me means playing it legit: I don't use items i don't earn myself, but I know people who derive their Terraria enjoyment from just building works of art and they don't really care about the progression.

Looking back on it now, I should have rephrased that to say "the game should give you everything you need to play it your way", which Terraria does do well at already. The issue comes with the unlock (if it exists) as an abnormal hurdle in all this. And yes, I think the comparison to game genie and cheat codes is a valid one, but for someone like me who "wants to play legit" using those at all is a direct contradiction to that playstyle. What could end up happening is someone who wants to jump right into master mode immediately and then has to (or gets to) play the game twice (and Terraria can be a long experience), thus functioning much more like a new game plus, which may be the intention.

and while I love Terraria and would not mind being required to play it twice, it seems an odd choice for a sandbox game to do something like this.

There is some promise in that new world creation spoiler that got shown today...but maybe thats what your screen looks like after beating expert, so who knows.

Thanks again and stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom