Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not, but it's odd and annoying...

I had an arena before, but I got to wave 18 only before 4:30, so I decided to build another, trying to use lava and other stuff, and moved everything here. (the other arena is close to the town, I didn't wanted to tinker with lava there. there was this area here I didn't really used for anything, so I thought to build one here.

However, there is a meteor crash site. I thought it doesn't matters, because once I start frost moon, frost moon enemies would override meteor heads. but no, it was the other way. Meteor heads override frost moon enemies...

Frost moon music plays, and if I get far from the crash site, then frost moon enemies spawn, but near the crash site, meteor heads override everything. is this how it's supposed to be...? I get that they normally override everyday enemies, but why event enemies like frost moon?!

meteor head.png

they love to appear in large hordes too, I had the first meteorite in the crimson/jungle border, and they swarmed in crazy numbers (those biomes raise spawn rates, right?), I wanted to just ignore it, but after some time I just decided to mine up the whole crash site... because there were 4-5 meteor heads on screen all the time, regardless how fast I killed them. then I got two new meteors, this one here, and another hitting the top of a living tree. meteor heads are so annoying...

they also don't drop anything useful, in hardmode, right? I thought the stardust dragon will just keep them at bay, so I can ignore them, and it works, but now it's a meteor moon, not a frost moon...

I think now they're my 3rd most hated enemies, after blocks placing Snow Balla (if he still does that?), and door dismantling, housing ruining Goblin Peon. (although wraits and the like are quite nice too, spawning far enough you can't even see them, and murdering your NPCs before you could even act...)

why so many meteor heads...? and why even in front moon...?

lots of meteor head.png

Sorry for the rant.
Anyway, is this how they supposed to work? or is this a bug that they override front moon enemies?
it's possible this used to be like this in the past, I just never encountered this problem before. never tried frost moon near a meteorite crash site before.

I can't say for sure if it's meant to work this way or not, but it has been like this since at least 1.2.4.1. In the biome priority, Meteor overrides almost everything else. For the purposes of spawning enemies, it's as if you are no longer on the Surface so Pumpkin/Frost Moon enemies won't spawn anymore.

I can't say for sure if it's meant to work this way or not, but it has been like this since at least 1.2.4.1. In the biome priority, Meteor overrides almost everything else. For the purposes of spawning enemies, it's as if you are no longer on the Surface so Pumpkin/Frost Moon enemies won't spawn anymore.
It might be how it used to be, I never tested this before. so, this might be their intended behavior, it just caught me off-guard.

meteor heads are odd enemies... they override pretty much everything.
I decided to mine out this site too, but before that, I placed that 600 meteorite I had from mining the other annoying crash site, to prevent yet another meteorite ruining the landscape. I placed them near the 3rd crash site that hit the top of a living tree, and and because it's a small world, the treetop is already space biome with harpies.

and intriguingly, meteor heads don't spawn in space (even though it doesn't sounds like it would be an unfitting biome for something that came from space to begin with.) harpies spawn instead, and also wyverns and martian probes. and it seems to increase monster spawn rates too? I had like 10-12 wyvern spawn, and about 3 martian probes while I placed thar 600 meteor ore...

on modded, meteor biomes might offer some other interesting things too, but on vanilla, meteor offers relatively little, especially in hardmode...

anyway. it's possible it's working as intended, in that case, sorry for bothering with it.
I never encountered this situation before - part because never tried to clear all 20 waves of frost moon before. you usually get all the loot you need in the later waves, and the achievement at wave 15, so usual minimal arenas work just fine to get the loot and achievement.
the other arena didn't work either, I still couldn't get past wave 18... but that's another thing. - on a note of that, it seems nonsensically difficult to clear the event in time...
It might be just me being too clumsy though, but this just renders completing the bestiary very difficult, if you don't want to "cheat" by changing the time (or wait until december).

and intriguingly, meteor heads don't spawn in space (even though it doesn't sounds like it would be an unfitting biome for something that came from space to begin with.) harpies spawn instead, and also wyverns and martian probes. and it seems to increase monster spawn rates too? I had like 10-12 wyvern spawn, and about 3 martian probes while I placed thar 600 meteor ore...
Now this seems like it could be a bug, where the meteor biome in space somehow boosts the spawn rate of regular enemies.

Now this seems like it could be a bug, where the meteor biome in space somehow boosts the spawn rate of regular enemies.
I don't know if it's a bug, intentional or what. I don't think harpies would swarmed the area more than they always do. but wyverns seemed to appear very frequently, and there vere several probes too.
it can be though these enemies are more common near the edges of the map? because this was very close to the ocean.
But it can be it's due to the meteor. I don't know...

Back
Top Bottom