Metroid-like Hidden Passage (x-post from Reddit)

Larkas

Terrarian
Inspired by this design by u/pm777 posted in r/starbound, I decided to try something similar in Terraria. It works pretty well, I think!

(The tavern is lightly modded from a design I found using CheatSheet that served my designs perfectly. Thank you very much, whoever made it! The squirrel transformation is activated using an item from Thorium, and it makes your height be only one block, much like Samus' morph ball. So many thanks to the Thorium team as well!)

Here is the plain view so you can see the involved blocks:

ZpwjwVFl.png

And here is the full technical view so you can see how things are wired:

fnX098xl.png

A more in-depth explanation:
  • The red wire connects the actuated blocks in the passage to two pressure plates, one under the stairs (painted with shadow paint) and the other inside the secret chamber (this one is clearly visible). So, put simply, when you pass over one of the pressure plates, the passage becomes actuated, allowing you to reach the secret chamber (and go back to the tavern).

• The red wire also connects the (offline) amber gemspark blocks above the hidden passage to both the pressure plates. That way, they will come online and light up the hidden passage when it becomes passable.

• The green wire connects the pressure plate inside the secret chamber to the two obsidian lamps inside there. That means that when you pass over that pressure plate, the lamps are turned on (and off again when you want to go back to the tavern).

• Beneath the stairs are a mix of shadow-painted blocks and walls, so you don't know exactly what is passable and what isn't.
And a few comments, for completeness sake:
  • This setup works just as well without all the shadow paint. With careful lighting, the pressure plate underneath the stairs gets pretty easy to miss. However, it is really useful to have a block on the square directly above the pressure plate, so only a 1-square player can get in there and a full-sized player can't find the passage entirely by accident. Seeing as the only way to perfectly blend walls and blocks is by using shadow paint, that's what I went with.

• This approach have the advantage of subtly hinting at the presence of the passage: the square without a shadow-painted block doesn't form a continuum with the palm wood blocks like all the other squares above it (but see below).

• I suspect that all this shenanigans with the shadow-painted blocks would work better if the stairs were shorter, since the "dropped shadows" from the stairs look more unnatural the higher that stair becomes, as shadows shouldn't be this opaque. This becomes pretty clear when you compare the 1st, 2nd and 4th flights of stairs to the 3rd flight (which is one square larger). Two/three squares high would look the best, I think.

• This would look so much better if you could activate offline gemspark walls instead of having to rely on gemspark walls/other sources of light... Not much we can do about that, unfortunately.

• If you want to be really devious, you can place a shadow-painted diagonal block touching the palm wood blocks and the shadow-painted block above it, place an actuator on it and move the pressure plate one block back to have a seamless wall, like this:
Nuqp8I2.png

Anyways, that's the long and short of it. Hope I could be of help! I haven't seen this implemented in adventure maps, but it opens quite a few possibilities I think!

(Original post here)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom