Milky's Tmodloader Mod Curation Thread

General Milky

Terrarian
Hello, all. Welcome to my little thread. The idea is pretty simple, here I just review and recommend mods to play, and rate them into some categories based on my expert, and personal, opinion. Some guidelines to cover before anyone's feelings get hurt.

1. Mod enjoyment is SUBJECTIVE, but most of my criticism is assuming the fellow player wants modded content that doesn't break the game. Sure, a mod with wapons that do 99999 damage crafted from a dirt block can be fun, but it's not a good mod for the sake of enhancing the Terraria experience.
2. All the mods I talk about in this thread need to be released. I will not talk about WIP mods unless they shine and deserve the spotlight put upon them. Also take note, that I can deem a mod in a 'released state' if it's clearly done but still in the WiP section because it either wants to dodge criticism (using its WIP status as a shield) or the mod maker just never made another thread for it. Bottom line is, don't expect to see many early looks at unfinished mods.
3. Yes, there is such thing as 'too much.' If I don't rate your favorite large scale mod higher than some smaller mods, it's because bigger isn't always better.
4. I'm going to be looking at Tmodloader mods ONLY. Standalones will not be counted for now, nor will wavebanks, custom maps, or the like.

With that out of the way, here are the categories mods will fit into based on my ratings, as well as a quick list of all mods reviewed up to this point;

===

-Godlike; must play-
Bluemagic

-Great; at home in any modlist-

-Good; flawed and not for everyone, but has situational or personal appeal. Use on your own discretion-

-Bad; mods whose problems damage or otherwise lower the overall quality of Terraria as a whole. Avoid unless you're REALLY SURE you want this content.-

===

With that covered, let's start. With the exception of this pilot post, all entries will come when I feel like posting them, in their own post.

First up is BlueMagic, made by BlueMagic, one of the creators of Tmodloader itself. Thread here; http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/bluemagics-mod-endgame-bosses.45905/

This mod is pretty small, pretty humble. It's just the bosses ripped out of the example mod that demos tmodloader's features. Abomination, and Spirit of Purity. All content in the mod revolves around these two bosses, every item is either a reward for beating them, or a component to summon one. This makes it a very, very self contained and compact mod that won't interfere or annoy a player in any way, and let's be honest, Spirit of Purity is a boss that has, to date, not been topped in any mod on the service to date. Many, many mods have tried to extend Terraria by adding bosses post moonlord, absolutely none of them NAIL IT like this mod does. The bosses, for what they lack in spritework, are mechanical genius. Interesting and varied in what they bring to the table, there's no denying the quality brought with these additional endgame challenges, and it's the only TRUE postgame content you will find (as of the creation of this thread) that matches the intensity and presentation of Terraria's very own Moon Lord and Lunar Events. Bluemagic is Godlike, and sets the bar all post ML content creators need to strive to achieve. A Tmodloader instance not running this mod is just not complete. This mod is the REASON to use Moon Lord loot for a real purpose.

Hello, all. Welcome to my little thread. The idea is pretty simple, here I just review and recommend mods to play, and rate them into some categories based on my expert, and personal, opinion. Some guidelines to cover before anyone's feelings get hurt.

1. Mod enjoyment is SUBJECTIVE, but most of my criticism is assuming the fellow player wants modded content that doesn't break the game. Sure, a mod with wapons that do 99999 damage crafted from a dirt block can be fun, but it's not a good mod for the sake of enhancing the Terraria experience.
2. All the mods I talk about in this thread need to be released. I will not talk about WIP mods unless they shine and deserve the spotlight put upon them. Also take note, that I can deem a mod in a 'released state' if it's clearly done but still in the WiP section because it either wants to dodge criticism (using its WIP status as a shield) or the mod maker just never made another thread for it. Bottom line is, don't expect to see many early looks at unfinished mods.
3. Yes, there is such thing as 'too much.' If I don't rate your favorite large scale mod higher than some smaller mods, it's because bigger isn't always better.
4. I'm going to be looking at Tmodloader mods ONLY. Standalones will not be counted for now, nor will wavebanks, custom maps, or the like.

With that out of the way, here are the categories mods will fit into based on my ratings, as well as a quick list of all mods reviewed up to this point;

===

-Godlike; must play-
Bluemagic

-Great; at home in any modlist-

-Good; flawed and not for everyone, but has situational or personal appeal. Use on your own discretion-

-Bad; mods whose problems damage or otherwise lower the overall quality of Terraria as a whole. Avoid unless you're REALLY SURE you want this content.-

===

With that covered, let's start. With the exception of this pilot post, all entries will come when I feel like posting them, in their own post.

First up is BlueMagic, made by BlueMagic, one of the creators of Tmodloader itself. Thread here; http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/bluemagics-mod-endgame-bosses.45905/

This mod is pretty small, pretty humble. It's just the bosses ripped out of the example mod that demos tmodloader's features. Abomination, and Spirit of Purity. All content in the mod revolves around these two bosses, every item is either a reward for beating them, or a component to summon one. This makes it a very, very self contained and compact mod that won't interfere or annoy a player in any way, and let's be honest, Spirit of Purity is a boss that has, to date, not been topped in any mod on the service to date. Many, many mods have tried to extend Terraria by adding bosses post moonlord, absolutely none of them NAIL IT like this mod does. The bosses, for what they lack in spritework, are mechanical genius. Interesting and varied in what they bring to the table, there's no denying the quality brought with these additional endgame challenges, and it's the only TRUE postgame content you will find (as of the creation of this thread) that matches the intensity and presentation of Terraria's very own Moon Lord and Lunar Events. Bluemagic is Godlike, and sets the bar all post ML content creators need to strive to achieve. A Tmodloader instance not running this mod is just not complete. This mod is the REASON to use Moon Lord loot for a real purpose.
I like bluemagic's mod; it's just the spritework that makes me smh

Back
Top Bottom