PC Minimap went dark

fpr1990

Terrarian
Hello everyone!
I hope someone can help me with the annoying issue I'm experiencing right now.
In a world that I spent over 80 hours I suddenly lost my minimap.
I went to documents, and one of it shows extended as .bad
Is there any way I can fix this or restore my minimap for that world?

This happens to me also, it happens when I open the world in Multiplayer or with a new character. I just lived with it, redid the map, stuff and things. I guess you just gotta explore once again.

Is there really no other alternative?
In my player folder, I only have the one .map file and the .bad file. I read in some other threads some people have multiple dotted .map files, although this wasn't my case.

Unfortunately there aren't any ways to quickly explore the map, other than mods.

Not sure why the map would get corrupted. Are you using mods?

I just explore it over time, works fine for me.

I just noticed this is a PC thread, and I'm a console player.... Oops.

Using TEdit shouldn't matter, since it doesn't touch your character.

Oh well, here's hoping it won't happen again. For the future though: Maybe it's a good idea to backup your character (and world) files now and then, just in case.

Hello,

Mini-map data is contained in a .map file located in a sub-directory of your your players folder that uses the same name of your character. This makes mini-map data tied to the character. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done for a corrupted mini-map. If you are Windows 7 (or enabled file history on Windows 10) you can revert the file to a previous version to restore the mini-map. Otherwise you'll need to just explore again.

At least it wasn't your world or player files. I would take this as a sign to start backing up your world and player folders to protect against file corruption. Sorry this happened to you.

Back
Top Bottom