Items Mirror Shield - Projectile Deflection!

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Mirror_Shield.png

Mirror Shield

The Mirror Shield is a new accessory crafted with the obsidian shield, magic mirror, and 30 gold/platinum bars. When equipped, there will be a 1/3 chance to reflect bullets or lasers back at their sender. Also, any medusa will be killed instantly if they are in the player's line of sight.

The mirror shield will also replace the obsidian shield in the ankh shield recipe.

Could potentially have some tinkers. I'm not quite sure what should go with it though.

also thanks to @Sigma90 for the idea lol​

Last edited:
Yay I'm helping! :D
Although I hypothesised a Mirror Shield, credit to @Dragrath for the idea of projectile reflection.

As for the reflection itself, there's two big questions: What's a projectile? What can be reflected? I'd personally keep it simple: If a large Mimic can reflect it while guarding, then the Mirror Shield has a chance to reflect it.
Instead of being dropped by Medusa, I'd rather see a crafting recipe like Cobalt Shield + Magic/Ice Mirror = Mirror Shield. Or to make it an Expert mode item, it could be a combination of Shield of Cthulu + Shiny Stone.

Although I hypothesised a Mirror Shield, credit to @Dragrath for the idea of projectile reflection.

As for the reflection itself, there's two big questions: What's a projectile? What can be reflected? I'd personally keep it simple: If a large Mimic can reflect it while guarding, then the Mirror Shield has a chance to reflect it.
Instead of being dropped by Medusa, I'd rather see a crafting recipe like Cobalt Shield + Magic/Ice Mirror = Mirror Shield. Or to make it an Expert mode item, it could be a combination of Shield of Cthulhu + Shiny Stone.
Hmm I would say it should keep its properties similar to what it was made of so certainly a shield as a component.

And regarding reflection in general all lasers should be able to be reflected as mirrors reflect light(which lasers are)
As this was originally brought up with regards to the stoned debuff and pocket mirror it should be sighted that the first instance was a suggestion of Ankh Shield+Pocket Mirror
Personally My thoughts would be to have it tinker from a Colbat shield, Obsidian Shield Paladin's Shield or Ankh shield (While the shield of Cthulhu looks like a shield it doesn't act as one and the abilities of both items don't really work for making a mirror shield)
My current thoughts on the whole Pocket Mirror and stoned debuff is the debuff needs to be nerfed (in which case Medusa would be altered to be a rare mini boss, with her stats as well as drop rates both adjusted upwards, or outright removed in which case this suggestion could become the sole ability of the pocket mirror.

Ability wise my thoughts on reflection are that it should be more along the lines of an active effect. In this case either like binoculars from the hot bar, or like the Forbidden armor, (as well as the Vortex and Stardust armors) i.e. press down or up to block all incoming projectiles within a particular degree arc.
As an accessory it would have to have far shorter range of angles than the item form(which could be used at all angles but you wouldn't be able to use a weapon at the same time)

Let me know what any of you think in regards to these variations.

Hmm I would say it should keep its properties similar to what it was made of so certainly a shield as a component.

And regarding reflection in general all lasers should be able to be reflected as mirrors reflect light(which lasers are)
As this was originally brought up with regards to the stoned debuff and pocket mirror it should be sighted that the first instance was a suggestion of Ankh Shield+Pocket Mirror
Personally My thoughts would be to have it tinker from a Colbat shield, Obsidian Shield Paladin's Shield or Ankh shield (While the shield of Cthulhu looks like a shield it doesn't act as one and the abilities of both items don't really work for making a mirror shield)
My current thoughts on the whole Pocket Mirror and stoned debuff is the debuff needs to be nerfed (in which case Medusa would be altered to be a rare mini boss, with her stats as well as drop rates both adjusted upwards, or outright removed in which case this suggestion could become the sole ability of the pocket mirror.

Ability wise my thoughts on reflection are that it should be more along the lines of an active effect. In this case either like binoculars from the hot bar, or like the Forbidden armor, (as well as the Vortex and Stardust armors) i.e. press down or up to block all incoming projectiles within a particular degree arc.
As an accessory it would have to have far shorter range of angles than the item form(which could be used at all angles but you wouldn't be able to use a weapon at the same time)

Let me know what any of you think in regards to these variations.

Instead of being dropped by Medusa, I'd rather see a crafting recipe like Cobalt Shield + Magic/Ice Mirror = Mirror Shield. Or to make it an Expert mode item, it could be a combination of Shield of Cthulu + Shiny Stone.
guys i just wanted to try spriting this and upload it as a basic suggestion

I'll add that bullets and lasers can be reflected and change the recipe to obsidian shield + magic mirror + gold/platinum.

guys i just wanted to try spriting this and upload it as a basic suggestion

I'll add that bullets and lasers can be reflected and change the recipe to obsidian shield + magic mirror + gold/platinum.
Um, it seems a little overpowered for a Pre-Hardmode weapon. Maybe replace the Gold/Platinum with Hallowed Bars?

A 1/3 chance is still a pretty high chance - heck, the Black Belt, a Post-Plantera accessory, only has a 1/10 chance of dodging, and it still happens fairly often.

It sure would be satisfying to reflect the martian saucer's death ray... To be honest this almost sounds like a multiplayer orientated accessory, I don't think it would be too hard to have it reflect other player's attacks, this guy does it all the time and the projectiles he reflects to the player are pretty deadly. As for mechanics would it be a thorns effect, in which both the attacker and defender take proportional damage, or more of a reflection effect, in which the defender is unscathed and the attacker receives their own attack? It's also worth noting that Medusa is a hardmode enemy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom