NPCs & Enemies Moon Lord Needs More SIgnificance

11clock

Terrarian
Something I have noticed with Terraria's final boss is that it is just kind of... there. Other than the chance of finding a picture of the Moon Lord, Moon Lord has no significance to the overall game's "plotline" (if you want to call it that). He is just there, at the end, suddenly appears out of nowhere. There is no buildup to Moon Lord. You just keep playing, then boom fight him, win, and... that is it.

I think that there needs to be a real build-up to the Moon Lord fight. Right now his only build-up happens around 10-20 minutes before fighting him. My suggestion is for Moon Lord to feel more significant to the game and his role as final boss, and get rid of the "Moon Lord is there because he just is" reason for him being there.

I recommend including things to world generation that hint at the upcoming Moon Lord fight at the end. The Moon Lord painting is an excellent example of this. What about signs from ancient cultist civilizations? Statues dedicated to the Moon Lord? Old structures? Perhaps also some small dialog changes, too? The Old Man could refer that he was cursed by a celestial demon. The Cultists outside of the dunegon also start to appear after you defeat the Golem. Perhaps there should be a link between the lizard men and the cultists found within the jungle temple.

In short, Moon Lord needs hints of lore before the ultimate confrontation with him. He needs to feel more relevant to the game world. Because right now he is just kind of there.

In my opinion, I don't find the Moon Lord fitting in the Terraria-era at all.
What would fit more would have been an answer to the corruption/crimson spread.

Though, the fact that Moon Lord is otherworldy makes it kinda fitting the fact that he's random. Like the rest of Terraria. so I'm not really sure about this idea itself.

Last edited:
So the clothier should have a exlamationmark over his head to show the player that he has some information to tell? and the it would explain a little about how he ended over there with the skeletons. Maybe he had been cursed to live there for over a 1000 years or so by the lunatics

but yes a build up. Like the guide could maybe tell you something like:
" I have heard some screams from the dungeon. You know, this world isnt safe... " - As soon as the world loads
" You should check with the Clothier he has experienced, things... " - After beating skeletron
-Clothier " Terrible things happen if you try to save this world. I was trapped for a 1000 years and now you saved me. This world is doomed... " After talking to the guide.

At the dessert biome you would be able to find fossils and old drawings in the sandstone of the cuthulu (they should be hard to understand for the new players) (=better mystery/buildup)

yes this would be lovely it gives that feeling that you won for a reason but hey they will probably never add that much of a story in to a game that is played best with 2 other friends

As someone who is a massive sucker for lore in games, I am absolutely okay with this idea. On one condition.

None of this stuff should be stated outright.

In other words, every bit of 'lore' should be either vague or visual; subtle things that show up in the world, ESPECIALLY in the dungeon. For instance, undead 'cultist' enemies that show up rarely in the dungeon (possibly with their own rare drop weapon or accessory, which might have lore attached to it in the form of tooltip (IE 'it has an otherworldly vibe'), appearance, or name. Perhaps special rooms in the dungeon made of Luminite Brick, or with bits of Luminite (which would need upgrading to Luminite Pick mining level) in them.

Of course, there's also stuff like that Mysterious Tablet. No one actually knows what it is, it just mysteriously shows up along with some Cultists after you beat the Golem. Perhaps, instead, this tablet could naturally generate in the dungeon, in an inactive form, as a regular piece of decoration. You can't pick it up without a Picksaw, though.

In general, additional moon motifs showing up in the dungeon would serve as an interesting little hint, and an illustration of one of the towers being present inside in the form of a painting would also provide something interesting.

...but one more thing.

Statues of cultists. In particular, at least one of the Lunatic Cultist showing up in the Dungeon. Prior to beating the Golem, they're all just there. Nothing too suspicious.

...but when you beat the Golem, the bases remain, but the figures on them vanish.

And then, have the tablet on you at night (while aboveground)... and it charges up. Bring it back to the dungeon, and it gets stolen from your inventory by a Cultist, and from that point forward you can encounter them freely.

...I think I got a bit carried away. You get the idea though. Something like that would be nice.

What! Did i just hear more significance? What! The moon lord is like the man up-stairs. Almighty-powerful. Un-beatable.

Nooo, he's looking fine as it is :nursewink:

In short, Moon Lord needs hints of lore before the ultimate confrontation with him. He needs to feel more relevant to the game world. Because right now he is just kind of there.
In fairness, the same can be said about:
  • Wall of Flesh: A single comment from the Guide
  • Destroyer: A single painting; no relevance to Crimson worlds
  • Duke Fishron: I'm not sure how anyone finds him without using the Wiki
Though if the Moon Lord is intended to be the final boss, I agree it needs a bit of buildup. I quite like some of your ideas! They're subtle, but would also be very effective. The Old Man saying how he was cursed by the Moon Lord would also give a bit of a hint that the Moon Lord is evil and must be destroyed by the player, lest he curse the world again (for example).

I agree the Moon Lord should definitely have more hints at, but I think he does fit in pretty well considering the moon is the cause of many of the most dangerous events.
1.Nighttime
2. Solar Eclipse
3.Blood Moon
4.Pumpkin/Frost Moons
It's almost like a recurring antagonist. Maybe along with some statues of cultists and things some NPC's like the clothier and wizard could talk about being afraid of the moon or always feeling watched at night. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, God now I really want everything in this thread in-game.

I don't know if these forums have rules against bumping so I'm going to take a risk and reply anyway.
I think that this idea is amazing, and that this should be part of the game. I wish I had more to say, but alas, I am out of material.

Back
Top Bottom