Weapons & Equip More Pre-Hardmode YoYo's and Buffs

More Pre-Hardmode YoYo's and Armors or keep it the way it is.

• Total voters

Iron_Cutlass

Terrarian
Kind of a neglected class setup in Pre-Hardmode. Maybe add more YoYo's for Pre-Hardmode and Armors, so we can give this class setup the buff it deserves. I don't like using mods to add what should have been added a long time ago (just being honest, not trying to offend people).
~Iron

Also keep in mind that the yo-yo isn't a subclass. It is simply another weapon type Melee players can use against their enemies. It serves its own purposes and has several weaknesses which can be covered by other Melee weapons. No armor specifically caters to yo-yos at any part of the game, so it is safe to say that Re-Logic does not view them as a subclass, but another Melee weapon at Melee's disposal(and a damn good one, I don't see why they need a buff.)

I think there are too many yoyos to be honest, and each can last you awhile as they're stronger than their sword counterparts, and they even have accessories that benefit them only to boot. Even Night's Edge can't compare to the Cascade, which soon the Hel-fire and Amarok are available. The Amazon is easy to craft that can bypass essentially all of pre-hardmode, and once you get the Eye of Cthulhu yoyo, you're basically set for Moon Lord in terms of weaponry.

What would be nice is a general nerf to some yoyos, adjusting their crafting recipes, making them not drop from everything, and most importantly give each a unique ability. Some standard yoyos are fine, like the wooden and rally ones, but it's not until the Terrarian that a yoyo has a unique trait. Swords for the most part are plain, but eventually most begin having beams and projectiles, with some early ones scattered through the game, like the enchanted sword and starfury.

Also keep in mind that the yo-yo isn't a subclass. It is simply another weapon type Melee players can use against their enemies. It serves its own purposes and has several weaknesses which can be covered by other Melee weapons. No armor specifically caters to yo-yos at any part of the game, so it is safe to say that Re-Logic does not view them as a subclass, but another Melee weapon at Melee's disposal(and a damn good one, I don't see why they need a buff.)
However there are a few accessories that benefit yoyos only, like the strings, counterweights, yoyo glove and their upgrade, yoyo bag. These don't benefit any other melee weapons. I guess it's just semantics, but I feel if there's any gear that specifically focuses on a certain weapon type, rather than a class type, it can be counted as subclass. Swords and flails and boomerangs are different melee weapon types, but there's no armor nor accessories that benefit them solely, only general melee upgrades. If you have a good yoyo build and switch to your sword, you're working with 4 or less accessories, whereas with a good sword build is also a good flail and boomerang build, but switching to yoyo and now you aren't reaching your potential.

However there are a few accessories that benefit yoyos only, like the strings, counterweights, yoyo glove and their upgrade, yoyo bag. These don't benefit any other melee weapons. I guess it's just semantics, but I feel if there's any gear that specifically focuses on a certain weapon type, rather than a class type, it can be counted as subclass. Swords and flails and boomerangs are different melee weapon types, but there's no armor nor accessories that benefit them solely, only general melee upgrades. If you have a good yoyo build and switch to your sword, you're working with 4 or less accessories, whereas with a good sword build is also a good flail and boomerang build, but switching to yoyo and now you aren't reaching your potential.

I respect that viewpoint, but the fact that yo-yos receive an exclusive accessory makes it seem as if the other weapons in the class seem underdeveloped. Because one would want to avoid how the classes are divided into one weapon type for general variety, the introduction of this accessory ruined said balance. As such, I would think it would be better to add more accessories to appeal to this mindset, such as something that increases sword size or similar. That way, people who would want to play as a "subclass" would get that option while others who wish to have variety still have accessories like the Mechanical Glove at their disposal. Right now, the "yo-yo" as a subclass right now feels underdeveloped because of its one feasible accessory. This can apply to other subclasses such as archery. One armor(Shroomite archery variant) and one accessory(if I recall correctly, it only has the Magic Quiver) appeals to this class. So why bother if we can't truly stick to one subclass due to a lack of options? As such, I'd only consider them a subclass if said options are improved and expanded upon. That way, it would truly feel as if the game respects the various subclasses people see in the game's variety.

I feel Yo-yo's should stay as is, in Pre-Hardmode they are OP as a subclass of Melee, it offers a Mid-range/Long-range alternative to the more balanced defense:attack ratio that IS Melee!, that's why most end-game melee weapons have either beams, long range, or both, simply swinging a sword at this point isn't safe.
In Pre-Hardmode not every single melee weapon has beams, on the contrary I believe only 3 weapons have beams, Enchanted Sword, Ice Sword, and Starfury if you can even count that. That's why Yo-yo's are great in Pre-Hardmode for fending off enemies, it lets you tackle enemies at a distance while still retaining the Melee archetype you'd like to fit in!

Back
Top Bottom