Portfolio/Multi-Topic Multiplayer modes

chriskey80

Terrarian
With the possibility of upcoming cross platform play I had a few ideas for some multiplayer modes that would really add some spice to the game.

(perhaps boss, invasion spawns, and special events would be prevented in these multiplayer modes while they are active except party mode)

Hide and Seek:

Add a camouflage dye that will make the wearer disappear to other players when they stand still. while wearing this dye, depending on how close a player is to the person wearing camo they will broadcast messages such as 'you hear rustling nearby' if they move within a certain distance, or 'you hear loud banging from somewhere in the distance' if they are mining and so on. If the 'seeker' is within a few blocks of the person wearing camo and they have a light source they find them. of course the use of hint potions that have a 5 minute cooldown will show a general area of the player wearing camo nearest the seeker as a ping on the map the next time it's opened within the cooldown time of the potion.

Colosseum Battles:

Allow players to build a colosseum out of marble or granite... this would make a unique biome if constructed within certain guidelines, and would allow players to battle enemies they have already battled in the game for a small prize. for instance if a player chose to battle zombies, a set amount of zombies would be spawned into the biome and the player would be scored on their time vs how much damage was dealt and received. the biome would negate all buffs from potions and any nearby placed items when activated so that it would be the player and their equipped gear vs the enemy. This could possibly later be improved to allow a pvp version by making the biome's building requirements very strict so that when vs another player all that would need to happen is the two players spawn in a small instance where neither player can leave the biome until someone wins, then the game will put them back in their world afterwards. this would allow for pvp tournaments and special banners and trophies that could be placed. also perhaps players could put up an item as an entry into certain battles and the winner would take the items that were put up. Rewards for player vs enemy mobs could award a certain amount of coins for only the first time that battle is fought. Also there could be wave survival modes. and naturally, you can partake in battles or just watch them as long as you build a colosseum biome in your world. perhaps maybe even allow people who watch to give favor to those they enjoy watching, and have an overall ranking of score and favor in each category. Maybe even award super rare vanity items to those who place in the top ranks

Party Mode:

Allow 3 or 4 players to form a party where they must all have different 'jobs' (ie there can only be one archer/gunner, one mage, one summoner, one warrior ect). when players die in a party they do not respawn until they are revived by another player tombstones mark where a player died most recently so if someone is playing in party mode alone they could go in with another character and revive the character that died, and then the next time they try playing that character they will spawn at the gravestone where they died, add in some revival items to revive party members and make one of the jobs a healer. Make it so a party character has to be started when the world is created, party characters can only be created or used in a world that is spawned as a party world. members of a party are unable to damage other players in their party, however players not in a party together will damage one another. crank up enemy difficulty for each player in the world, also allow players to build storage that they can lock with unique keys so that no other player can access their stashes unless they are given a key to it. also allow hostile players to break into said stashes if they are string enough or have the right gear.

Scavenger Hunt Mode:

allow players in a world to take turns making lists of items that other players must collect. The list of items can only include what is available in that particular world that the player who has made the list has actually held in their inventory (basically it would make collecting titanium in a pre hard mode world impossible.) this would be like hide and seek or capture the gem in that it has no benefit outside of being just another multiplayer mode

tag/ hot potato mode:

this would require something to trigger an in game timer that would run for however long the players who are playing wanted, whoever is 'it' when the timer runs down loses. there are as many rounds as there are players minus 1, the person who is 'it' at the beginning of each round is randomly selected. you pass the 'I'm it' buff or make an inventory item called hot potato that can only be removed from the inventory by damaging another player (which either one would increases movement speed by a large amount which is determined by map size) to another player by hitting them with an attack. players can be killed and respawn at a random point in the map. player icons are displayed on the map. players who are out can play around in the world while the remaining rounds are going on, they can't damage other players though. last person to survive all rounds wins.

Capture the fort mode:

each team would have to build a throne in their fort, each throne would become destroyable by damage from the opposing team. the object is to fortify your own throne while simultaneously attempting to destroy the opposing team's throne. the strategy here is do we protect our own throne or do we just hide it? Do we go all out offensively or do we attack strategically? in this mode players forts would have certain defensive properties based on what materials they were made from for instance a wall of stone would be easy to blow away with a bomb, however lead brick walls would be able to withstand more blasts before breaking away. all blocks placed by members of a team are automatically painted the color of that team. even a very simple version where there is no difference in how easily blocks are removed, it would still be fun. in this mode players wouldn't die from pvp damage, however knock back and other things that would affect their attack rate would still apply also hitting explosives using fuses with water attacks would disarm them as well as fireballs or ice or water attacks being negated by fire fortifications or counters. the only way to beat the other team is to get to their throne and destroy it

I'd like to add that ive been a huge fan of Terraria for a long time... I was one of those folks who bought the game as an in app purchase to the Terraria Demo app in the google play store years ago, lol, since then I've purchased it on steam and recently my brother has started playing it with his young daughter on ps4. I've also been attempting to get my best friends to play with their kids as well, more so now that cross play may be coming. Not that the game needs any improvement, but i thought these multiplayer modes would really kick off your cross play update with a BANG!

I have a bazillion other ideas for multiplayer modes, these were just the best/ most basic of them.

Back
Top Bottom