PC Multitude of issues with Multiplayer Hardcore.

EnderRanger

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 11
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Because these bugs are somewhat related, I thought it would be appropriate to put them in a single thread and avoid spamming posts. But if I am supposed to break this into individual reports, let me know and I can do so.

When a hardcore player dies, they are transformed into a ghost after a timer.
  1. For some reason, these ghosts can automatically open doors by passing through them with the smart doors feature. They are dead & can pass through walls, so there is not a need to open doors. This issue does not appear to be present with smart doors disabled in settings. It can be fun to troll surviving players by letting zombies into the house, but I think it's pretty clear that this should not be in the game.
  2. Ghosts are factored into multiplayer boss health scaling in expert+ difficulty. This means a ghost cannot spectate the remaining players without posing a detriment to them — instead it's best for them to leave the world and not watch the boss fight, which is disappointing.
  3. Ghosts can influence mob spawns/block mobs from spawning (ie enemies will not spawn on a ghost's screen). Besides the fact that this can be annoying to surviving players who are trying to farm mobs (if the ghost is wandering around where the player wants mobs to spawn), this opens the door to some exploits. For example, because ghosts are invincible, fully mobile, and do not seem to spawn mobs of their own, a ghost could potentially travel ahead of a living player in the dungeon to disallow any dungeon guardians from spawning. I think ghosts should not have any influence on mob spawns (or anything else in the world, really).
    1. As a side note, I noticed when testing this that ghosts can still see information from accessories they had equipped like the depth meter after dying. I'm unclear on whether this is intentional. I suppose this could be exploited with metal detector to find chests/life crystals, but because ghosts can already do that with illuminated areas like mushroom biomes I figure it's not a big deal — just thought I'd mention it.
    2. Side note #2, ghosts cannot toggle the minimap/map overlay after dying, which can be annoying if they had the map overlay on before death. I think it would be better to either fully allow switching map modes after death, or automatically toggle off the minimap/overlay.
    3. One last thing about the map — it would be nice if the X that marks player deaths did not disappear upon the dead player leaving the world, but rather when the host leaves/restarts the world/server. This would give surviving players a better opportunity to reclaim their loot even if the dead person does not want to stick around.
  4. Surviving players sometimes cannot pick up items if a ghost is standing in front of them. I suspect items try to be picked up by ghosts even though they are unable to, which prevents other players from picking them up. I've found this to be a bit inconsistent with different sizes of items, but it's still quite frustrating at times.
  5. Hardcore players do not drop all their items on death (specifically ones in personal storage like the piggy bank). While it makes sense for mediumcore players to get to keep these items because they can respawn, a hardcore player should drop *everything* so surviving players can fully utilize their loot. The ghost won't be needing it.

6. While a ghost is in the world, surviving players will be unable to progress time by sleeping despite the fact that ghosts cannot sleep and should not count for the check of whether all players are sleeping.
7. (Less important) Weird visuals with liquids — ghosts appear in front of blocks but behind liquids (unless it's not a full block of liquid, in which case it appears in front). I would expect the ghost to either stand in front of everything, or behind everything, rather than in some awkward middle layer. Pictures attached.
1697728834416.png
1697728842354.png

Most of these issues were discovered in multiplayer and are most pertinent to multiplayer games, but I imagine some of these behaviors are present in singleplayer as well. I play on Windows, but play with mobile and Linux players online that experience the same issues.
Most people probably don't play hardcore very much, let alone in multiplayer, but my friends and I would very much appreciate it if you could fix these issues.

Back
Top Bottom