Biomes & Nature My personal biome ideas for Terraria.

SoulDestroyxr

Duke Fishron
Terraria has many different biomes within each world. Each biome comes with it's own unique enemies, blocks, mechanics and so on. One of the most important biomes in a given world, the evil biome, either generates as the corruption or crimson. Only one of these biomes may reside in a generated world. This alternative biome function made the game more exciting and playable, making every play-through different depending on the biome generated. I believe that this alternative mechanic could be expanded on and could allow different alternatives to more than just one type of biome. In this thread, I will be discussing my personal ideas, listening in on other opinions and creating a general consensus on each given idea.

When a player entered hardmode, two different biomes would generate as two diagonal stripes across the world, expanding on the game even more. One of the two biomes, the hallow biome, would be the opposite of the world's evil biome. The hallow biome has it's own share of gameplay functions, mechanics, blocks and items, giving players the motivation to explore and harvest materials while being at risk from the given hazards. I feel as if this could be expanded on, giving a player the possibility of having a different biome generate in their world instead. This new biome would correspond with the good nature of the hallow but would have it's own unique style, making the gameplay more exciting and unique. My personal idea would be called the Twilight, a biome representing the other side of good intentions.

-The Twilight Biome-
The biome goes as follows:

- The nature of this biome would be "the protection and preservation of the world in it's own image", spreading to envelope the world in twilight and rid it of all evil and it's chances of spreading. This goes with the concept of the hallow spreading in order to rid the world of evil as well as having it's own intentions, spreading to make the world in it's own image.

- The main style of the biome would have colours ranging from a darker yellow, to a bit of black and dark grey.

- The background would have a colour scheme similar to when the world is almost night but with a bit of darker colours like black, dark yellow, dark grey, etc. The details of the background could have yellow particles rising up with trees that have branches stretching upwards. The sky could have clouds that would block up portions of the sky, only letting small amounts of sunlight through, creating a dark yellow/orange glow across the entire land of twilight.

- The trees would have branches stretching upwards with tips as sharp as spears. The wood would have a dark grey, brown colour scheme. The leaves would be less present and would be a dark tone of yellow and grey mixed in.

The enemies within the twilight will have similar behaviour to their hallow counterparts, differing by appearance, strength and slight differences in AI.

Wandering Soul:
The Wandering Soul enemy would be the alternative to the pixie, being able to hover above blocks. They represent a soul losing themselves within the depths of the twilight (either being killed or lost within the twilight), detaching from their physical form and taking on the appearance of a pulsating yellow orb. This yellow orb would wander in search of other souls to take over and consume, satiating it's thirst.

Twilight Guardian:
The Twilight Guardian enemy would be the alternative to the unicorn. It's purpose would be to protect the biome from anything that would threaten the spread of it. Standing up on two legs, clad in black armour that gives off an unusual, yellow glow, the Twilight Guardian wanders around, looking for any threat to slice down with metal claws built in on the gauntlets. If any threat approaches, it goes from standing on two legs to standing on all fours, chasing the threat like an animal and slashing with it's claws when it gets too close.

Shadow Bat:
The Shadow Bat enemy would be the alternative to the illuminant bat, sharing the characteristics almost entirely with the differences being the colour scheme ranging from a mixture of dark yellow to grey, the strength (it would be more powerful) and the AI being a bit less predictable while flying.

Shadow Slime:
The Shadow Slime enemy would be the alternative to the illuminant slime, sharing the characteristics to a degree. Their colour scheme would be a mixture of dark grey to black. They would have a higher jump velocity, reaction time, higher statistics and have a debuff that would slow the player down and darken their vision (similar to the black slime).

Primordial Soul:
The Primordial Soul enemy would be the alternative to the chaos elemental. They represent a soul within the twilight that has aged and gained the ability to think freely while still holding the urge to consume other souls. This enemy's appearance is similar to a chaos elemental except with a transparent, black appearance and glowing, yellow eyes. The Primordial Soul would wander the caves of the twilight in search of other souls. As soon as it spots a living being (the player), it gains tremendous speeds and teleportation abilities similar to a chaos elemental but will always teleport near it's prey, dealing large amounts of damage and inflicting a debuff that obscures vision.

Wandering Scythe:
The Wandering Scythe enemy would be the alternative to the enchanted sword, sharing all characteristics except appearance, being a scythe surrounded by a yellow aura.

Twilight Mimic:
The Twilight Mimic enemy would be the alternative to the hallowed mimic, sharing all characteristics except appearance, being a black and yellow chest.

Dusk Mummy:
The Dusk Mummy enemy would be the alternative to the light mummy, sharing all characteristics except appearance, being wrapped with dark grey cloth that has an unusual yellow tinge to it.

(Rainbow slimes will still spawn during the rain)

The Grass:
The grass would have a dark grey and yellow tinge style.

Dark Wood:
Duskwood would be the alternative to Pearlwood, having a dark grey, brown colour.

Twilistone Block:
Twilistone would be the alternative to Pearlstone, having a dark grey and yellow colour scheme.

Twilisand Block
Twilisand would be the alternative to Pearlsand, having a black and dark yellow appearance. The hardened and sandstone versions of this block would have darker colour schemes.

Yellow Ice Block:
Yellow Ice would be the alternative to pink ice, having a darker yellow appearance.

This is my only idea so far but I would like to hear all your opinions about it down below.

Last edited:
The title might be misleading, I assumed to read more ideas than one... also, this is just yet another hallow alt, which isn't a bad thing, but the title might could reflect that.

Anyway, this isn't the first idea I seen of a hallow alt that is not all that shiny and happy, but I kinda fail to envision this biome. Also, what I kinda envision, it's something dark... how would it pair up with the corruption for example? The corruption itself is pretty dark too, if it gets a counterpart that is also dark... I dunno... has its own unique twist, but it feels kinda unusual to have darkness try to counter darkness...
But maybe it would work, I just don't really know how to envision this biome.

The title might be misleading, I assumed to read more ideas than one... also, this is just yet another hallow alt, which isn't a bad thing, but the title might could reflect that.

Anyway, this isn't the first idea I seen of a hallow alt that is not all that shiny and happy, but I kinda fail to envision this biome. Also, what I kinda envision, it's something dark... how would it pair up with the corruption for example? The corruption itself is pretty dark too, if it gets a counterpart that is also dark... I dunno... has its own unique twist, but it feels kinda unusual to have darkness try to counter darkness...
But maybe it would work, I just don't really know how to envision this biome.
The twilight wouldn't necessarily be evil, it would be more of a force of nature, having a will of it's own, that would come up to face the corruption/crimson when the wall of flesh is defeated.

Hmm... that's interesting. I guess I just would be curious to see something like a concept art sort of thing or color palette or don't know.

Back
Top Bottom