PC My world files have corrupted and I need help

Jnearle

Terrarian
It's very discouraging when such a great game like Terraria which I have spent a total of 400 hours playing gets corrupted for the 4th time. I have never beat the game due to my world file constantly being corrupted. Recently, I and a couple of friends made a world in hopes of beating the game and beating the moon lord in master mode. We only had the lunatic cultist and moon lord to beat when boom, can't load the game anymore. Since it seems like I am the only one this type of :red: happens too, there's not much support for it. If anyone knows how to fix this and save my world I would really appreciate that genuinely, thank you. (if you have any questions to try and help me pls ask)

here are some things if this helps you out:
Files.png

theses are all my world files. the world that is corrupted is El_Salvador. originally I had a weird .CAR file with a bunch of numbers and letters name but changed to El Salvador which produced the El_Salvador.wld.bad. I (I can easily go back to how my files originally looked when corrupted if need be)

Map.png

so by changing the .CAR file name to El Salvador I can load the backup file and it shows all the progress and builds in my world but none of it is actually there

I spent a lot of time and effort in this world so any help would very much be appreciated, thank you.

Try loading all files from your world in Tedit and try and make it the most up to date as possible, pasting elements from each one over the most stable copy of the world and changing the variables when it comes to which bosses were defeated and npcs spawned. This has happened to me three times as well and is typically due to bugs in multiplayer or cloud storage. I have thankfully only had to repair my master mode drunk world once since I fixed it and I have also taken a backup for every day I have played on the world just in case, you can also routinely clear out backup files if you need to reserve storage space. I am actually at a similar part in the game having killed Golem about 5 times yesterday, though most of my friends were lazy when it comes to builds and I can see how much more frustrating and painful it is for you than for me to lose a world file. Anyway, contact me if you need any more help.

Take care.(We should also probably create a bug report for 1.4.2 on Steam as I am not seeing any similar issues show up at the moment.)

Try loading all files from your world in Tedit and try and make it the most up to date as possible, pasting elements from each one over the most stable copy of the world and changing the variables when it comes to which bosses were defeated and npcs spawned. This has happened to me three times as well and is typically due to bugs in multiplayer or cloud storage. I have thankfully only had to repair my master mode drunk world once since I fixed it and I have also taken a backup for every day I have played on the world just in case, you can also routinely clear out backup files if you need to reserve storage space. I am actually at a similar part in the game having killed Golem about 5 times yesterday, though most of my friends were lazy when it comes to builds and I can see how much more frustrating and painful it is for you than for me to lose a world file. Anyway, contact me if you need any more help.

Take care.(We should also probably create a bug report for 1.4.2 on Steam as I am not seeing any similar issues show up at the moment.)
Thank you so much for your response. I've read a bit about TEdit and says that there's a lot of fake ones. would you mind sending me a link to where to download the real one? And ya my friends are lazy when it comes to the building so I actually built everything in the world lol. As well, how do you back up your world every day?

Thank you so much for your response. I've read a bit about TEdit and says that there's a lot of fake ones. would you mind sending me a link to where to download the real one? And ya my friends are lazy when it comes to the building so I actually built everything in the world lol. As well, how do you back up your world every day?
I believe the link is here TEdit Downloads - BinaryConstruct though I know for sure that the official link is located in these forums. (I remember BinaryConstruct.com being the link on the og forum post.) Go to C:/users/[your user]/documents/My Games/Terraria and copy the world file into a separate folder.(verify as I'm going from memory.) you can also find cloud worlds backed up for download at the steam website and a quick google search will help you know where to find the files. I stopped saving to the cloud due to its unreliability and how its a pain in the arse to recover from there, though it is possible as I've done it before. Half of the problems and hassle can be avoided in the future if you save worlds/characters locally and make routine backups.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Edit: Oh yeah, recovering your world is likely going to be a lot of copying and pasting and saving on to what will become your master copy starting with a stable backup of the world and adding recoverable data to it to use for the rest of your playthrough. Chest data is never guaranteed to be complete, so go by memory, and be conservative with what you cheat back into chests, as you are hosting a multiplayer server. It's better to go foraging again than to have all chest loot deleted before your eyes.

Last edited:
I believe the link is here TEdit Downloads - BinaryConstruct though I know for sure that the official link is located in these forums. (I remember BinaryConstruct.com being the link on the og forum post.) Go to C:/users/[your user]/documents/My Games/Terraria and copy the world file into a separate folder.(verify as I'm going from memory.) you can also find cloud worlds backed up for download at the steam website and a quick google search will help you know where to find the files. I stopped saving to the cloud due to its unreliability and how its a pain in the arse to recover from there, though it is possible as I've done it before. Half of the problems and hassle can be avoided in the future if you save worlds/characters locally and make routine backups.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Edit: Oh yeah, recovering your world is likely going to be a lot of copying and pasting and saving on to what will become your master copy starting with a stable backup of the world and adding recoverable data to it to use for the rest of your playthrough. Chest data is never guaranteed to be complete, so go by memory, and be conservative with what you cheat back into chests, as you are hosting a multiplayer server. It's better to go foraging again than to have all chest loot deleted before your eyes.
Thanks a lot for your help man. I couldn't get my world back but because of TEdit, I'm remaking it so I and my friends can play where we left off. I would have probably given up if you hadn't have told me about TEdit, Thanks man.

Thanks a lot for your help man. I couldn't get my world back but because of TEdit, I'm remaking it so I and my friends can play where we left off. I would have probably given up if you hadn't have told me about TEdit, Thanks man.
You're welcome as always and yeah, I had to do the exact same thing, but right before the Wall of Flesh, so it likely is less painful than what you have to do right now. I'm going to be doing a master for the worthy world soon, and am a bit more open to randoms now since I'm not the host. If you're interested we could maybe give you a slot, idk. I'm on steam as MarcatoFox if you need it, otherwise, good luck and I hope you can properly repair your world.

You're welcome as always and yeah, I had to do the exact same thing, but right before the Wall of Flesh, so it likely is less painful than what you have to do right now. I'm going to be doing a master for the worthy world soon, and am a bit more open to randoms now since I'm not the host. If you're interested we could maybe give you a slot, idk. I'm on steam as MarcatoFox if you need it, otherwise, good luck and I hope you can properly repair your world.
That sounds like fun. Ya if you could save me a slot that would be great. I'm gonna be a bit busy tho since I have to recreate the world and then finish the game with my friends but after that, I would love to play. my steam friend code is 403315250

That sounds like fun. Ya if you could save me a slot that would be great. I'm gonna be a bit busy tho since I have to recreate the world and then finish the game with my friends but after that, I would love to play. my steam friend code is 403315250
Aight sure, I also use discord for quickly connecting, but that's optional. We typically dump all our old gear in the new players chest anyway, so people don't fall too far behind.

Back
Top Bottom