PC Need help fixing an issue with read-only terreria files

Bolt Ashera

Official Terrarian
Hello, I am running into that common issue with Terraria crashing while trying to save a new character, world, etc. yet when I try to fix it, nothing works. I have my firewalls allowing the game through, and have looked through the folder settings where the worlds and characters are saved. The entire folder is set to read only, and I cannot set it to read and write permissions, no matter how many times I go into the settings to do just that. it never saves the new setting, despite me telling it to save it repeatedly. Someone with more knowledge about computers, please help! I have run through everything I know on how to fix this kind of problem.

Welcome to the forums Bolt Ashera!
From your post, I am assuming you are somewhat familiar with checking Windows NTFS permissions. If not, please let us know.
  1. Log in as an administrator
  2. Right-click the Terraria folder > Properties > Security tab > Edit
  3. Under "Group or user names", select your log in user
  4. Tick the box "Full control" under Allow. If necessary, make sure all Allow boxes below that are also ticked.
  5. If any other users are listed (e.g. SYSTEM or Administrators), make sure they do not have any Deny boxes ticked.
  6. Click OK. If you are prompted for UAC authorisation, confirm it
  7. Click OK again
It is also worth checking if you're getting any errors or crashes in Terraria. If you aren't, you may not need to do anything.

Thanks for the welcome. I've gone through to look at the permissions and all allow boxes are checked under all users in that area, and I still get the same error and the game shuts down. Any other suggestions on how to fix this? I am going to attempt to set the entire steam folder to read/write, in an effort to get the Terraria folder to gain those permissions. That seems to be the problem, the save folder is read only, and will not go over to read/write.

It's unusual for folder/file permissions to appear to change by themselves like that. Can you please check the Known Issues post, specifically the section on "Crashing when reaching the main menu, making worlds/players, saving worlds/players, texture packs, etc"? It has some advice on what you can try. (Ignore if you've already read it.)

If you're using any antivirus programs, or file sync programs (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive), try disabling them temporarily to see if that helps.

I read through that thread before posting. I don't think I'm using any file sync programs though, and when I set the entire folder the Terreria folder is in to read/write, it didn't stay that way. My antivirus is set up to allow Terreria through, so I am quite confident that isn't the issue

Not sure what else to try then sorry. :(
Hopefully someone else will be able to assist you and provide some advice.

Here's hoping. Or a future update of the game fixes whatever the problem is. Should I take a screenshot of the error message and post it? That might help understand what, exactly, is going wrong.

Back
Top Bottom