PS4 'Network Error' issue still present

Rhys Bailey

Terrarian
This issue was listed a 'fixed' in version 1.12 but i still have it occuring. When i host a game on a pre patch or post patch save (world or character) and my freind tries to join me it lags my game hard for 5 seconds and then tells me he has left, on his end he gets a 'network error' message with no code. I dont encounter the issue when joining his hosted world. I have tried reinstalling the game and save data from the cloud and we have tried all of the playstation methods of joining, all have the same result. My internet is very good (70 up, 20 down) and it never blinks out on aby device. I also have never encoutered 'network error' on any of my other games when hosting or joining. Is it an issue i can fix?
- edit - my freinds game always expieriences the 'network error' after the loading bar gets stuck on 'resetting objects' 100% for about 10 seconds

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. From your description, I drew the conclusion that your console probably is behind a router that's performing NAT (Network Address Translation) and that "port forwarding" isn't working as it should. But NAT type 2 (Moderate) means that "port forwarding" is ok, and everything should work.

Could you log into your router and make sure that the option UPnP is enabled?

Do you have more than one PS3/PS4 on the same network?

Hmm, interesting. From your description, I drew the conclusion that your console probably is behind a router that's performing NAT (Network Address Translation) and that "port forwarding" isn't working as it should. But NAT type 2 (Moderate) means that "port forwarding" is ok, and everything should work.

Could you log into your router and make sure that the option UPnP is enabled?

Do you have more than one PS3/PS4 on the same network?
UPnP is enabled. I do have two ps4s on the same network.

Okay, when I tried to help another guy that was having this problem I learned that you can't have two PS4 on the same network and have full internet connectivity. The two PS4's tries to connect through the same ports, resulting in neither console can connect properly so that hosting a game works.

You can read more about this problem here:
https://community.playstation.com/c...ort.topic.html/multiple_playstation-bM2X.html
I think that could be the issue. The two ps4s are very rarely on at the same time but the house has 5 phones always connected plus the smart tv and desktop pc. I'll try with my freind when no-ones in the house and get back to you. Thanks for the help.
[doublepost=1538072387,1538072224][/doublepost]Its still a problem i reckon needs fixing if possible though. If it is my internet that gets bottlenecked, then terraria must use much more bandwidth than other games - its the only game i own that has this issue and i own a lot of games.

Do try when the other PS4 is turned off, hosting a game like Terraria should work fine then. You don't need to worry about the phones, tv or pc.

The problem isn't bandwidth, but rather how each device address each other. All devices (phones,tv,pc,consoles) on your network looks like a single device when viewed from the Internet. They all share the same address. There is however a way to distinguish each device so that for example your friends console can talk to your console and not your pc. That is by using port numbers. There are over 65000 different port numbers that can be used.

The problem is that PS4 is very particular about which port numbers are used. Everything works fine as long as there's only one PS4, but if there are two or more PS4s they will all try to communicate using the same ports. The obvious solution to this problem is that each PS4 uses different ports, but for some reason Sony hasn't programmed the consoles to do that.

Do try when the other PS4 is turned off, hosting a game like Terraria should work fine then. You don't need to worry about the phones, tv or pc.

The problem isn't bandwidth, but rather how each device address each other. All devices (phones,tv,pc,consoles) on your network looks like a single device when viewed from the Internet. They all share the same address. There is however a way to distinguish each device so that for example your friends console can talk to your console and not your pc. That is by using port numbers. There are over 65000 different port numbers that can be used.

The problem is that PS4 is very particular about which port numbers are used. Everything works fine as long as there's only one PS4, but if there are two or more PS4s they will all try to communicate using the same ports. The obvious solution to this problem is that each PS4 uses different ports, but for some reason Sony hasn't programmed the consoles to do that.
I just tried while there were no devices in the house turned on (turned the other ps4 off at the wall for good measure) and it still has network error through all 3 joining methods. I dont think that multiple ps4s is the issue.

I just tried while there were no devices in the house turned on (turned the other ps4 off at the wall for good measure) and it still has network error through all 3 joining methods. I dont think that multiple ps4s is the issue.
Did you restart your PS4?

Hmm, I'm out of ideas. Unless someone has programmed "port forwarding" rules manually in the router that intereferes, or there's an issue with that particular world that you are trying to host, I don't know what else you could try. You have done everything humanly possible to fix this problem.

I find it very strange that you can connect to your friend without any problems, but not the other way around.

Thanks for the help - i guess he'll just have to host the world and i'll only play when hes on. I'll wait a couple of updates and then try again but i dont think its a game issue - i havent seen anyone post about it after the latest patch (plus they said they fixed it) and this is the only game that has an issue on my internet so i'm just out of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom