Mobile NEW CONTROLS PROBLEM!

MeeKertZ

Terrarian
I just downloaded terraria mobile after many years of not playing the game. After downloading the game I was stunned to the many updates I found including the UIs, the menu, the loading screen, character customization, etc. updates that were not found on the previous version. But as I entered a world/started a game, at first I was shocked by the new controls that it might all be very useful controls. Well, all the controls are actually very useful but given that we all have different preferences of playing or we all have different playing styles, for me some of the controls are just a hindrance for me because some of the controls like the autoselect can actually just disturb me... specifically that time when you are fighting a mob but because of the autoselect the game sort of like just forced me to use a pickaxe or an Axe which is very frustrating..... At the very least I hope they will add a feature of which you can remove some controls that you don't want to use because it can just make the screen more chaotic to look given the fact that it is a "mobile" game that means it is expected that the screen that will be used is small. Or even add a feature of which the users can switch the controls to "classic mode" or controls of the past versions of Terraria.

I just downloaded terraria mobile after many years of not playing the game. After downloading the game I was stunned to the many updates I found including the UIs, the menu, the loading screen, character customization, etc. updates that were not found on the previous version. But as I entered a world/started a game, at first I was shocked by the new controls that it might all be very useful controls. Well, all the controls are actually very useful but given that we all have different preferences of playing or we all have different playing styles, for me some of the controls are just a hindrance for me because some of the controls like the autoselect can actually just disturb me... specifically that time when you are fighting a mob but because of the autoselect the game sort of like just forced me to use a pickaxe or an Axe which is very frustrating..... At the very least I hope they will add a feature of which you can remove some controls that you don't want to use because it can just make the screen more chaotic to look given the fact that it is a "mobile" game that means it is expected that the screen that will be used is small. Or even add a feature of which the users can switch the controls to "classic mode" or controls of the past versions of Terraria.
Hi there @MeeKertZ, welcome to the forums. :)

The new controls do take awhile to get used to, I agree. After playing with them for a bit I came to prefer them over the old controls, so give it a bit of time.

Switching to ‘Classic Mode’
I’m not sure why anyone would want to go back to old controls since you can’t quick heal, can’t quick buff (having old controls means having to put all your buffs in your hot bar then drinking them one at a time), you can’t use auto cursor or auto select, can’t quickly use mounts or use the grapple stick.

However, if you’re talking about using the old jump wherein you press up and you jump, then there already is a function for that. In the settings, set it to ‘Legacy Jump’. Or if you mean you want old controls because you want every sword to be autoswing, you can also set that in the settings.

Autoselect
The game should never be forcing you to use a pickaxe when you want to use your sword. If you have your sword selected, then it should use your sword, unless you’re activating the auto use. It can take a bit to get used to.

Customizing UI
There are already plans in an upcoming update to be able to customize the UI more. :) You can read more about mobile development in the ‘State of the Game’ posts (along with other platform developments).

Latest: Terraria State of the Game: December 2019

All State of the Game threads: Search results for query: Terraria state of the game

Hi there @MeeKertZ, welcome to the forums. :)

The new controls do take awhile to get used to, I agree. After playing with them for a bit I came to prefer them over the old controls, so give it a bit of time.

Switching to ‘Classic Mode’
I’m not sure why anyone would want to go back to old controls since you can’t quick heal, can’t quick buff (having old controls means having to put all your buffs in your hot bar then drinking them one at a time), you can’t use auto cursor or auto select, can’t quickly use mounts or use the grapple stick.

However, if you’re talking about using the old jump wherein you press up and you jump, then there already is a function for that. In the settings, set it to ‘Legacy Jump’. Or if you mean you want old controls because you want every sword to be autoswing, you can also set that in the settings.

Autoselect
The game should never be forcing you to use a pickaxe when you want to use your sword. If you have your sword selected, then it should use your sword, unless you’re activating the auto use. It can take a bit to get used to.

Customizing UI
There are already plans in an upcoming update to be able to customize the UI more. :) You can read more about mobile development in the ‘State of the Game’ posts (along with other platform developments).

Latest: Terraria State of the Game: December 2019

All State of the Game threads: Search results for query: Terraria state of the game
Hey.
I do think the controls could be handy! But I use a very small screen so the extra buttons are just obnoxious. I understand what they're meant to do and how they're supposed to help but they simply don't because I can't see anything and it makes the game even harder to maneuver than the game already was. The Mana potion button for instance is completely useless to me because I have auto-mana-potion enabled and I'd never ever have to use a Mana potion apart from when I don't have any Mana left, in which case it'd use one automatically anyways. This button is more of a hindrance than a use for me because of that and takes up that much more screen that is now unusable. Why is there a button that changes between "use & aim" and "aim?" Why are there two buttons to use 1 item? Why is there a zoom in and zoom out button when you can just drag your screen? A lot of these things could be moved to the menu instead of the in-game screen. It just seems like useless clutter that doesn't need to be there and, if at all, is barely ever used. And should atleast be able to be disabled.

Back
Top Bottom