Biomes & Nature New Event - The Blizzard! (hear me out plz)

Aldenkynan

Skeletron Prime
I know what you were thinking as soon as you saw this thread.
Is this guy stupid or what? We already have blizzards.”
No, I’m not stupid. Yes, I know what I’m doing.
I don’t think it’s safe to call a useless side effect to rain that’s capable of spawning ONE MOB an event.
I hope you can see what I’m getting to here.

The blizzard needs more stuff..

Yes, I’m serious. The tundra and desert biome are supposed to be related (as you can tell), but the blizzard can’t even compete with the sandstorm
“But the tundra has a dungeon chest and everything!” you might be thinking right now.
Yes, the tundra has a lot of content that the desert doesn’t have, and maybe sometime I’ll make a thread to balance the two biomes.

Before I begin, let me point out that I plan on making sprites later (though I will accept sprites made by others).
Allow me to also point out that I will not be including anything about the Ice Golem in this thread, for I don’t find the need to change it in any way.

Now, let’s begin.

The blizzard is an event that is separate from rain. It has the same chance of occuring per tick as a sandstorm, and can last for the same amount of time.
When entering a tundra during the Blizzard, the player will receive the Snow Pile debuff, which reduces the player’s movement speed while on ground by 40% and halves jump height.
The background will also be covered with snow particles flying across the screen (similar to the sandstorm).
All mobs spawned by the blizzard drop ice, and the blizzard doesn’t prevent normal enemy spawns.

Cryo
55/110 Max HP
25/50 Damage (Melee)
20/40 Damage (Projectile)
15 Defense

30%/40% Knockback Resistance
The Cryo is a ghost (like the player ghost upon Hardcore death, but without the tail with the bottom kind of dripping; has a baby blue tint) that tries to stay about 15 blocks away from the player. In it’s main attack, it dashes above the player (in a manner similar to that of the Goblin Summoner) and fires magic ice projectiles that inflict Chilled and, in Expert Mode, have a small chance to inflict Frozen. Sometimes, a Cryo will stand still and raise its hands into the sky as ice particles surround it. If the Cryo is not attacked within two seconds, another Cryo (in Expert Mode, two Cryos) will spawn. This ability can overwhelm even late Pre-Hardmode made players if not dealt with quickly.

Icicle Weaver
65/130 Max HP
22/44 Damage
13 Defense

55%/62% Knockback Resistance
The Icicle Weaver is a spider made of ice. It follows the Unicorn AI in the way in it accelerates at the player, but it can also climb along walls the way a spider does. When it’s walking, it will turn whatever it is walking upon into thin ice, and it will turn the walls it’s climbing along into Thin Ice Walls (new wall, cannot be obtained). When in air, it will continously drop thin ice projectiles (like those of the Antlion) that don’t deal damage but create thin ice. They have a 0.1% (1:1000) chance to drop the Thin Ice Wand, which converts uses ice as ammo and places thin ice. It can also replace existing ice into thin ice at the cost of no ammo.

Alpha Wolf
350/700 Max HP
65/130 Damage
30 Defense

90%/93% Knockback Resistance
The Alpha Wolf looks like a wolf but has frosty ice fur (this having the color of ice) and having icicles on their back. This enemy only appears in Hardmode. The Alpha Wolf follows the Unicorn AI until it gets in range of the player. It then quickly leaps at the player (like a pounce). The Alpha Wolf can pounce again almost immediately after landing a hit. Combine that with the low knockback of these attacks, and the Alpha Wolf can quickly take down a distracted player in seconds. If the player is at too high of an altitude for it to reach, it will continously pounce in midair and work it’s way up to the player (attacking will only disrupt this for a short moment).

Frost Hydra
450/900 Max HP
60/120 Damage
30 Defense
100% Knockback Resistance

The Frost Hydra is a Hardmode enemy that looks identical to the sentry summoned by the Staff of the Frost Hydra, except it’s a deeper shade of blue and has red eyes. This enemy has two phases. In the first phase, it attacks identical to the Frost Hydra summon, spitting out ice projectiles. These projectiles inflict Chilled (in Expert Mode, they have a chance to inflict Frozen). After taking away 40% of it’s health, it will then assume a wyvern-like form. This uses the Worm AI. It flies around the player through air like a Wyvern, but with near the speed of a Dune Splicer. Instead of ramming directly, it will keep a distance and fire ice projectiles, only ramming when it can’t get a clear shot. This enemy also has Corrupted (shoots Cursed Flames), Crimsoned (shoots Ichor projectiles), and Hallowed (shoots pink projectiles that inflict Confused) forms.

Rotten Viper
520/1040 Max HP
70/140 Damage
35 Defense

Blood Spitter
470/940 Max HP

74/148 Damage
32 Defense

Dream Eater
560/1120 Max HP
65/139 Damage
40 Defense

The sandstorm seems less developed than the blizzard to me. It has more enemies and items, yet something feels empty about it, and I rarely have seen anyone actually use that equipment both because of its difficulty to obtain and lack of utility.

Anyway, separating blizzard from rain is a step in the wrong direction. We should be linking weather events, not making them even more annoying.

I like it but a few things:
1. It would be a total nusiance to have it separate from rain
2. When you say ice, are you referring to a mew thing or ice blocks?
3. Terrain changes unwillingly are horrific, calm your spider down
4. That drop rate on the ice wand is absurdly low

I like it but a few things:
1. It would be a total nusiance to have it separate from rain
2. When you say ice, are you referring to a mew thing or ice blocks?
3. Terrain changes unwillingly are horrific, calm your spider down
4. That drop rate on the ice wand is absurdly low
1. I could have it not separate from rain, but the point is to make it more of its own event. Sandstorms are separate from rain, and there's not that much complaining about that.
2. I'm referring to ice blocks.
3. I'll see if I can do so.
4. That is completely intentional. It's just supposed to be a fun rare item (not that it has too much of a use).

1. I could have it not separate from rain, but the point is to make it more of its own event. Sandstorms are separate from rain, and there's not that much complaining about that.
4. That is completely intentional. It's just supposed to be a fun rare item (not that it has too much of a use).
I see people constantly complaining about weather separation, it's horribly inconvenient.

I'm not taking ROD chances for a slightly functional item, and I don't think many other people would either.

Back
Top Bottom