Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Doesn't need changing

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

MrTheEpicNinja

Terrarian
ANY SPRITES ARE WELCOME, BUT I WILL ADD MY OWN SOON

*also,can the price of illegal gun parts be lowered to 10 gold*

So, I was looking at the Otherworld GDC trailer, and the hoarde mode aspect, with the turrets, and I was thinking, it would be cool if we could have turrets like that in Terraria 1.3. However, I never bother to use turrets because they are expensive and you can't dodge.

TURRET MECHANIC v#1
They work similar to dart traps, set them up to wire and a switch and they will fire. (No timer needed)
However you will have to load the turret.
You can do this via left clicking, then an ammo slot will appear just under the inventory. (Completely seperate to the regular ammo)
Place the required ammo into the slot, then the turret will fire once the switch is flicked. The turret will stop once the ammo has been all used up.
This mechanic will also be used for existing turrets, such as cannons, bunny cannons and snowball launchers.

(I also think that turrets should have unlimited amounts of the basic ammo if connected to an ammo box. )
Flamethrowers - gel
Xbow - wooden arrow
Gun - musket ball
Rocket - rocket I

ALTERNATE TURRET MECHANIC SUGGESTION:
You craft a 'turret base' out of 15 iron bars.
Then you left click on the base and put a ranged weapon into the 'weapon slot' (which will appear under the inventory), then set up the turret as you would in method 1.
(turrets can only use repeaters, pulse bow, tsunami, shotbows and stake launchers as arrow turrets)
Turret damage and crit chance will be the same as if the weapon was in your inventory
If you remove the turret, the weapon will be returned into your inventory, seperate to the turret stand.
You will still be able to angle the turret with a right click.

CRAFTABLE TURRET TYPES FOR V1

1x Turret Base
1x Illegal Gun Parts
10x Soul of Fright
10 x Torches
1x 1 second timer
Uses Gel as ammo (or Fuel cannisters @SzGamer227 )

16 block range
30 damage
20 use time
9 velocity
2 knockback

1x Turret Base
1x Illegal Gun Parts
10 x Demonite Bars
1x 1 second timer
Uses arrows as ammo

100 block range
12 damage
23 use time
15 velocity
3 knockback

(+ arrow stats)

1x Turret Base
1x Illegal Gun Parts
12x Crystal Shard
40x Chains
1x 1 second timer
Uses bullets as ammo
( has a 20 degree bullet spread)

600 block range
21 damage
10 use time
11 velocity
1 knockback.

(+ bullet stats)

Sold by Cyborg for 40 gold
(Uses rockets as ammo)
(Fires in a straight line)

1,000 block range
49 damage
19 use time
18 velocity
5 knockback

(+ rocket stats

1x Flamethower turret
10x Shroomite bars
Affected by armour + accessory stats

40 block range
82 damage
15 use time
6 velocity
2 knockback

1x Crossbow MK1
10 x Shroomite bars
Affected by armour + accessory stats
Fires 2 arrows at once (for 1 ammo)

500 block range
46 damage
10 use time
13 velocity
4 knockback

(+arrow stats)

1x Scattergun
10 x Shroomite bars
(Can be set to auto or manual targeting, manual you have to set, auto will let the turret move its angle to chase enemies)
(Fires in a straight line)

1000 block range
38 damage
7 use time
10 velocity
3 knockback

(+ bullet stats)

1x Missile launcher
10x Shroomite bars
(Can be set to manual or auto targeting, auto targeting will turn the rockets into homing rockets, but ROCKETS II & IV will not destroy blocks on auto target)

1400 block range
61 damage
13 use time
14 velocity
7 knockback

(+ rocket stats)

I hope you like the suggestion :)
Let me know in the poll!
Also if you have any sprites (especially for the stand) they will be greatly appreciated !

Last edited:
By the way, the mind behind Fuel Canisters is @SzGamer227, not me. http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/a-variety-of-flamethrower-ammo-fuel-canisters.627/[/QUOTE]

Oops LOL! I think I saw you use it in one of your suggestions haha! Sorry @Baconfry , sorry @SzGamer227 I'll change that right away!
[DOUBLEPOST=1426313179][/DOUBLEPOST]
Let's see. I'd like to see something analogous to traps, in that no ammo would be required to keep them running. Preferably separate from our ranged weapons. Maybe we'll be able to re-categorize the cannon-type weapons (Snowball Launcher, Bunny Cannon, etc) into this category, updating the mechanics. Who knows?

I think I should clarify it a bit more, the ammo slot is completely seperate to the one you use for regular ranged weapons.
I wanted it to use ammo so that the same mechanic would work with cannons, bunny cannons and snowball launchers. (Which it does)
And the mechanics from those will be transferred so they work like these!

Last edited:
I deff like this idea and its been implemented in otherworld but to do soin 1.3 maybe plausible but very unlikely it might windup coming in a future update but we must spread the word and get support. I would love to see magic based turrets and even melee turrets (boomerang or flail launchers) whichwould be easier done with v2. Ill back this idea entirely but keeping a pessimistic outlook on it being in vanilla terraria...maybe as a mod which i would wholeheartedly download and consume with much enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Nice Idea with the turrets- they provide a way to take on the Frost Moon with more ease, and provide more utility towards gimmicky weapons such as the bunny cannon. Just one idea I had, though- how about making hostile turrets spawn in the dungeon and lihzard temple? This would give more "flavour" to the temple/dungeon. Perhaps link these two towards a necessary requirement to build turrets?

Nice Idea with the turrets- they provide a way to take on the Frost Moon with more ease, and provide more utility towards gimmicky weapons such as the bunny cannon. Just one idea I had, though- how about making hostile turrets spawn in the dungeon and lihzard temple? This would give more "flavour" to the temple/dungeon. Perhaps link these two towards a necessary requirement to build turrets?
hmmm interseting idea! Do you think i should add dart traps to the recipe btw, they are a trap that spawns in the dungeon.
The only problem I could see with a hostile dungeon turret, is would it need ammo to shoot? How would it work, and wouldn't it be SUPER OP against players.
[DOUBLEPOST=1426408010][/DOUBLEPOST]
I deff like this idea and its been implemented in otherworld but to do soin 1.3 maybe plausible but very unlikely it might windup coming in a future update but we must spread the word and get support. I would love to see magic based turrets and even melee turrets (boomerang or flail launchers) whichwould be easier done with v2. Ill back this idea entirely but keeping a pessimistic outlook on it being in vanilla terraria...maybe as a mod which i would wholeheartedly download and consume with much enthusiasm.
how would magic turrets work with mana and stuff, for now, ranged weapons seem to be the only plausable turret idea.

That actually makes alot of sense! However it wouldn't work with all magic weapons
it would with most if you implemented the auto aim with em understandable some would be more difficult and time consuming but I could see most of them being usable but ones such as the rain cloud wouldn't be usable...and of course they would only work for as long as the main pot is good for is greater mana would be the longest

Wait weren't all of these turrets (maybe with an exception or two) showcased in the latest OW trailer.

Still I think we need more turrets but this suggestion could be approached differently.

Wait weren't all of these turrets (maybe with an exception or two) showcased in the latest OW trailer.

Still I think we need more turrets but this suggestion could be approached differently.
I didn't see any flame or arrow turrets. This thread was just my ideas on how to implement turrets.

Back
Top Bottom