Non-Journey Completionist world and character

dinochess14

Terrarian
This is the final version of my completionist world and character, I have been working on this world for the last 5 months, totaling a little over 570 hours. I have collected every obtainable item and placed them in an Item Frame grid, sorted by item ID. I was able to complete this challenge using only one character, without changing the date on my computer, and without any AFK farming, although getting the decorational items from Angler came close to making me break the one character rule. It took around 40 large worlds to get everything, the item that required the most world hopping was actually getting all the Sandstorms in a Bottle to make all the balloon items, although searching worlds for Waldo or Terragrim took much longer than scanning through deserts for pyramids.

The item that took me the longest to get was probably Waldo, I estimate 30 hours of digging through large worlds, I explored my main world in pre-Hardmode, but waited until right before Plantera to search the rest. Jim's set turned out to be very annoying to get, I had really bad RNG with it and ended up opening around 1500 Treasure Bags before I got it, the decorational items from Angler are some more items that may not sound hard but prove to be very annoying. Once you get a lot of quests completed for the Angler the odds of him giving you a decorational item are incredibly small, it took me 700 quests to get all the decorational items, and I consider that to be very lucky. I ended the run with around 1280 quests, and only remember getting 3-4 decorational items between quests 700 and 1280, although I ended up with a full chest of Golden Fishing Rods. As far as banners go Rune Wizard took the longest, with Doctor Bones, Dreadnautilus, and Crimson Axe being among the most memorable grinds. I have no idea why, but Crimson Axe is noticeably rarer than any of the other weapon enemies, Enchanted Sword was by far the most common, with Cursed Hammer being between the sword and the axe. Collecting all the gold critters was one part I was dreading going into the playthrough, and although it did take a while for a few of them, it was not as bad as I expected. I did end up farming Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon to get all the seasonal items, the worst part of that was the Christmas paintings sold by the Traveling Merchant, I had to do quite a few Frost Moons to get them all. The very last item I got was Not a Kid, nor a Squid, the painting sold by Traveling Merchant after beating Moon Lord.

When doing this playthrough I split it up into 4 main sections, pre-Hardmode, pre-Plantera, pre-Cultist, and post Cultist. Pre-Hardmode was by far the longest section of these three, taking right around 300 hours to complete. The only pre-Hardmode items I did not obtain before moving to Hardmode were items that required other worlds, and of course, the legendary item known as the Swordfish Trophy. The most notable items from pre-Hardmode were Doctor Bones Banner and all the gold critters. Gold Seahorse was the most tedious critter to farm for, I have heard some people say Gold Water Strider is worse, but as long as you have the right spawning conditions Water Striders are pretty common. Gold Ladybugs proved to be quite annoying as well, if only because of how RNG-dependent they are. In order to farm Ladybugs you first need a Windy Day that corresponds with a good butterfly day, and then you have to roll a 1/400 for the Gold Ladybug to spawn, which might not seem bad with how many Ladybugs there are on good days, but this can only be rolled for the first Ladybug in each swarm. If the average number of Ladybugs in a swarm is 3, that means you will get around 1200 Ladybugs for each Gold Ladybug you find. Pre-Plantera was pretty tedious as well, it includes a lot of the rare banners. Rune Wizard Banner is the hardest one to get, Dreadnautilus farming is very tedious as well. Other rare banners include Moth, Ice Golem, Sand Elemental, and Crimson Axe, as well as the alternate evil mimic if you do not go to another world to farm for it. Pre-Cultist was not too bad, the only notable banners being the Dungeon enemies and Mothron. The seasonal items did take a good bit of time to get, but they were not as bad as I initially feared they would be. I did end up going into a pre-Hardmode world and farming Pumpkin Moons there for the Bladed Glove and Bloody Machete, since very few enemies can drop them post-Plantera. Once I got past Cultist the challenge was pretty much over, the only item that was heavily dependent on RNG was Not a Kid, nor a Squid.

I have all the items stored in an item frame grid in the desert, if you unzip and use the folder with the map data you will be able to see where everything is without any issue. The picture you see in this post was made by piecing together smaller pictures, as attempting to take a snapshot of all the items at one time causes the game to crash. On the same note, the game has trouble loading in a lot of item frames at one time, so you will need to zoom in to be able to see the items. As mentioned earlier, this playthrough took around 570 hours to complete, and that was without any AFK farms, so the world has been through a lot. Despite it being incredibly tedious at some points I did enjoy my time with this challenge, coming up with new ideas and testing them out was really fun, and I do hope to do another long term collection playthrough at some point, although maybe not quite this extreme. If anyone else is thinking of attempting something like this, I would advise doing as much research as you can beforehand, make sure you farm for all the rarer pre-Hardmode items before going to Hardmode, as some of them get significantly harder, most notably Nymph Banner and gold critters. I am not sure if anyone else has done a completionist playthrough with a non-Journey character since 1.4 came out, so I could be the first, if anyone knows of someone let me know.

Item Frame grid
The final product.png
A few highlights of the base
Capture 2021-06-23 19_13_43.png
Capture 2021-06-23 19_15_05.png
Capture 2021-06-23 19_24_08.png

Attachments

• Feanor.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 304
  • Feanor.plr
    2.6 KB · Views: 213
  • The_End.wld