NPCs & Enemies NPC Buffing Items - Ways to make Townies less fragile

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Just a heads up. This is not a thread about letting NPCs attack enemies. This is exploring different ways of making them harder to kill in general.

Merchant.png
Once you get into Hardmode, they start dying like crazy. 250 health just doesn't cut it. What if we had ways of boosting their health and make them more able to cope with catastrophic events like stray bosses and HM events? My ideas are simple.

Campfire_%28buff%29.png
Camp Fires should boost the health of nearby NPCs by 50, and Heart Lanterns should boost their health by 100. These bonuses wouldn't be able to stack with themselves, so having 2 Camp Fires wouldn't boost their health by 100, but having an NPC near both a Camp Fire and a Heart Lantern would hike up their HP to 400.

Nurse.png
In addition to that, being near Camp Fires, Heart Lanterns, and the Nurse should also increase their HP regeneration rate by 1 HP/second each. If they recover faster in between hits, then they are at less risk of getting slaughtered on the next hit. This also makes defending them more valuable, since they can recover a significant amount of health as long as they aren't taking damage.

Paladin%27s_Shield.png
What about giving the Paladin's Shield added abilities? An NPC near a player equipped with a Paladin's Shield could have their health increased by 100 and also grant them 10 defense. This would make it somewhat useful in single player outside of just defense, and give NPCs a maximum HP of 500, making them less than half as fragile as they normally are.

20140224200753%21Spectre_armor.png
Also, as suggested by Baconfry, what about letting them benefit from the use of the Spectre Hood set? It can heal other players, so why not the NPCs that you are trying to protect? They wouldn't take healing priority, so they would only heal if you weren't at risk of dying, like, let's say, you were above 90% health.

Regeneration.png
Anyways, this is just implementing the idea in existing content. Other options would be to have new peaceable objects, potions, equipment, and even summoning items which have these effects. Maybe even a new NPC which buffs your other townies if you want to take it that far. As for me, I'd be fine with the additions stated above, but I'm brainstorming just in case any of these other ideas are appealing.

Feedback is appreciated as always. If you have ideas or comments, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited:
Honestly, I can see this being very useful in Terraria. And you're right, once that hardmode kicks in, NPCs are bound to die.

i actually like the idea of making the spectre armor able to heal the npcs, it would be nice for someone that doesn't get to play multiplayer often see the set do what it does best :D

all in all, i fully support the ideas that you presented, it would be very nice to not have my NPC's get cast into oblivion whenever a boss decides to "go on tour" of my town and forget about my existence, or things like moon events keeping me too busy to outright defend them from heavy traffic.

This is an awesome thread that deserves more attention. For that reason I necro post and support.

This should have been put in a while back in my opinion.

Having a way to buff up the NPCs a bit so they don't just die on the spot in hardmode would be nice.

One thing, the Spectre Armor. It is really easy to build a home for the Nurse right where you do things like moon events. During the fight you can pay her to keep you alive. The one issue with abusing the Nurse like this is her ability to die easily. If Spectre Armor affects her, you can keep yourself alive by paying her and keep her alive by your armor. Basically, the fight gets easier as you can fully heal whenever needed and the Nurse will get free heals (and you suggested it be x2 as effective on NPCs).

Back
Top Bottom