NPCs & Enemies NPC idea - The Miner

Quba

Terrarian
The Miner's main purpose would be to sell you ores that are unavailable in your world ( technically you can get them as a drop from slimes, from the extractinator and crates but it's random if you even get them and from what I know there is no way to get the hardmode ores ) and some mining related items.

Unlock requirement
He would appear after you get the mining helmet

Shop
  • Pre-hardmode ores ( He would definitely sell you ores that are missing from your world but I'm not sure if he should also sell you ores that you have access to )
  • Hardmode ores after beating Wall of Flesh ( Same situation as above )
  • Maybe Chlorophyte after beating Plantera
  • Maybe Gems
  • Mining potion
  • Spelunker potion and glowstick
  • The rest of the mining armor set
  • Maybe torches and ropes but they are already sold by both the Skeleton and normal Merchant so I'm not sure
  • Minecart and minecart tracks
I know that torches, ropes, minecart and the tracks are easy to get but I decided to add them to make him feel more like a miner

Happiness

He would like living underground and dislike snow. And for his neighbours he would love the Demolitionist, like the Merchent and Tavernkeep and hate the Tax collector

Miscellaneous

Some name suggestions
  • Steve ( An obvious reference to Minecraft )
  • Rusty ( Main character from Steamworld Dig )
  • Carl ( A reference to the creator of Scrooge Mcduck who started gaining his fortune by mining )
He would wear something similar to what miners during the gold rush wore and would fight with a pickaxe

Let me know if you have any suggestions or criticisms.

To go off on a tangent briefly you can get all Hardmode ores from crates with fishing. But yeah, I agree in that the available means of getting ore that do not naturally spawn in the world is one of the most tedious tasks in the game.

To go off on a tangent briefly you can get all Hardmode ores from crates with fishing. But yeah, I agree in that the available means of getting ore that do not naturally spawn in the world is one of the most tedious tasks in the game.
Are you sure ? I checked the wiki and the only ores that are shown are pre-hardmode.

I'll be honest, this isn't really all that needed.
-As mentioned above fishing for crates will result in collecting all ores.
-As for gems you can get those from the Extractinator (not to mention prehardmore ores, and sturdy fossils and amber)
-The rest of the mining armor set should remain exclusive to the undead miner in my opinion
-Mining and Spelunker potions aren't that hard to gather materials for. All you need is bottled water, blinkroot, moonglow, antlion mandible, and gold. Gold is the hardest to obtain here for sure. --The minecart is a waste of time less you want one of those minecarts that use it in its recipe. Its speed is only 10 compared to the 13 you get from the others. And the mechanical cart has a speed of 20.

Sorry but it's a pass from me.

Same with above post, fishing can definitely give you the ores if the crates were fished up in hm iirc, plus I don't see a need for yet another method of obtaining alternate goodies. Slimes, crates and the Extractinator is enough.

Chlorophyte is another story, though. Seeing that its growing mechanism might be unknown to some and really slow, it might work. Mining Armor... not a big fan for a rare drop to just be purchasable. Sorry, but it's a pass from me too.

I'll be honest, this isn't really all that needed.
-As mentioned above fishing for crates will result in collecting all ores.
-As for gems you can get those from the Extractinator (not to mention prehardmore ores, and sturdy fossils and amber)
-The rest of the mining armor set should remain exclusive to the undead miner in my opinion
-Mining and Spelunker potions aren't that hard to gather materials for. All you need is bottled water, blinkroot, moonglow, antlion mandible, and gold. Gold is the hardest to obtain here for sure. --The minecart is a waste of time less you want one of those minecarts that use it in its recipe. Its speed is only 10 compared to the 13 you get from the others. And the mechanical cart has a speed of 20.

Sorry but it's a pass from me.
Same with above post, fishing can definitely give you the ores if the crates were fished up in hm iirc, plus I don't see a need for yet another method of obtaining alternate goodies. Slimes, crates and the Extractinator is enough.

Chlorophyte is another story, though. Seeing that its growing mechanism might be unknown to some and really slow, it might work. Mining Armor... not a big fan for a rare drop to just be purchasable. Sorry, but it's a pass from me too.
I know that it is possible to get ores from crates but it is left to luck if you even get the ores you would want. For example if I want to make a set of titanium armor I would need 59 bars but since titanium didn't appear in my world assuming that I get the best possible results I would need to find 3 Titanium crates with the biggest number of titanium ores and bars and this example assumes that I don't want to use the ores for any other items.
As for the other items in the shop I know that they are mostly usseles but so is some of the stuff other NPC's sell like the copper tools that the Merchant sells, the only reason I put them there is to make him feel more like a miner.

Another interesting town NPC suggestion I seen before too, and certainly a miner would be a nice addition to wander around a mining shaft or mine entrance.

But I think some mod already adds such an NPC? I don't know.

As for functions, some of them are QoL for builders, but otherwise would make things quite easy...?
As far as I know, - modded NPCs I know -
  • Thorium's blacksmith sells pre-hardmode ores in hardmode. this makes it quite balanced I think, because at that point, you wouldn't really need those for much, besides deco. well, also stuff like ironskin potion and spelunker and stuff, but you could usually get these ores easily, it's just tedious to go mining for gold or iron at that point.
  • The scam artist in my mod sells all 6 early hardmode ores in hardmode. allowing for an alternative way of obtaining them without being dependant on RNG with crates nor risking creating several new pockets of spreading biomes by smashing altars. they are very expensive however to balance it out. (though that goes for all of her wares) while a single piece of something like mythril ore costs like 4-5 gold coin or so, getting just enough for an anvill will cost like 4-5 plat in total in the end. buying enough for a full armor would be insanely expensive... (you can farm money, but still) The anvil is actually what I noticed to be very important even if you go for other modded armors than ore ones. Thorium's soul forge works even better than an adamantite/titanium forge, so the only thing you really need either way is an anvill - and it took me like a bajillion crates to get enough for an anvill via fishing XD
  • (I did actually wanted to add clorophyte to her shop too, but I didn't, I think, because of limited space. it sounds like something that totally would fit her though, like "Hey, I just got something very special for you here! Clorophyte ore! If you plant it, it will grow, and you get even more clorophyte! Just think about it! just buy a few and you could get dirty rich in no time!" Shady Magicarp Salesman vibes? XD lol)
  • Jeweller from Alchemist NPCs (and lite) sells gems already too.
  • The other gadgets are mostly sold by other vanilla NPCs too, or very easy to craft.
the mining armor do sounds interesting however. because it can be very difficult to aquire it, since the monster that drop it is rare to begin with, and it drops those only very rarely.

I love town NPCs, but figuring out what sort of town NPCs would have actual important functions - or what functions there are that requires a new town NPC can be quite tricky.
Naturally, mods that offer modded things are a different case, but as long as it's just vanilla stuff to sell, it's indeed very difficult to figure out what are the things that do would be great to have a town NPC for.

Another interesting town NPC suggestion I seen before too, and certainly a miner would be a nice addition to wander around a mining shaft or mine entrance.

But I think some mod already adds such an NPC? I don't know.

As for functions, some of them are QoL for builders, but otherwise would make things quite easy...?
As far as I know, - modded NPCs I know -
  • Thorium's blacksmith sells pre-hardmode ores in hardmode. this makes it quite balanced I think, because at that point, you wouldn't really need those for much, besides deco. well, also stuff like ironskin potion and spelunker and stuff, but you could usually get these ores easily, it's just tedious to go mining for gold or iron at that point.
  • The scam artist in my mod sells all 6 early hardmode ores in hardmode. allowing for an alternative way of obtaining them without being dependant on RNG with crates nor risking creating several new pockets of spreading biomes by smashing altars. they are very expensive however to balance it out. (though that goes for all of her wares) while a single piece of something like mythril ore costs like 4-5 gold coin or so, getting just enough for an anvill will cost like 4-5 plat in total in the end. buying enough for a full armor would be insanely expensive... (you can farm money, but still) The anvil is actually what I noticed to be very important even if you go for other modded armors than ore ones. Thorium's soul forge works even better than an adamantite/titanium forge, so the only thing you really need either way is an anvill - and it took me like a bajillion crates to get enough for an anvill via fishing XD
  • (I did actually wanted to add clorophyte to her shop too, but I didn't, I think, because of limited space. it sounds like something that totally would fit her though, like "Hey, I just got something very special for you here! Clorophyte ore! If you plant it, it will grow, and you get even more clorophyte! Just think about it! just buy a few and you could get dirty rich in no time!" Shady Magicarp Salesman vibes? XD lol)
  • Jeweller from Alchemist NPCs (and lite) sells gems already too.
  • The other gadgets are mostly sold by other vanilla NPCs too, or very easy to craft.
the mining armor do sounds interesting however. because it can be very difficult to aquire it, since the monster that drop it is rare to begin with, and it drops those only very rarely.

I love town NPCs, but figuring out what sort of town NPCs would have actual important functions - or what functions there are that requires a new town NPC can be quite tricky.
Naturally, mods that offer modded things are a different case, but as long as it's just vanilla stuff to sell, it's indeed very difficult to figure out what are the things that do would be great to have a town NPC for.
I tried looking for NPC's that sereved a simmilar role but couldn't find them so thanks for mentioning them but that still leaves the post-hardmode ores

I tried looking for NPC's that sereved a simmilar role but couldn't find them so thanks for mentioning them but that still leaves the post-hardmode ores
I think there is also a mod like helpful NPCs or something. that has a miner. but I don't know that, so I might be wrong.

Which ores you mean by "post-hardmode ores"?

I think there is also a mod like helpful NPCs or something. that has a miner. but I don't know that, so I might be wrong.

Which ores you mean by "post-hardmode ores"?
didnt he meant palladium, cobalt, mythril, orchalicum, titanium, adamanite, clorophyte, luminite?

I'm pretty sure the scam artist sells all the 6 vanilla early hardmode ores.
not clorophyte or luminite though.

Sorry misread the part in your first post I thought that she sold pre-hardmode ores
Ah, okay.
No, she doesn't because those are sold by for example Thorium's blacksmith already. of course, if someone plays modded without Thorium, it could be useful, but I do think there are other NPCs too selling them.

Back
Top Bottom