tModLoader Official tModLoader Help Thread

Hello! I am super new to making mods for Terraria, but I am not super new to coding. However, I have never used C# before and I'm having some trouble.

I am currently trying to create a magic projectile that homes in on other players and heals them.

This is what I have for the projectile code:

using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;

using Terraria;

using Terraria.ID;

using Terraria.ModLoader;

namespace xSHIGUYx.Weapons

{

public class BlessingofLifeP: ModProjectile

{

public override void SetDefaults()

{

projectile.Name = "Bless Bolt";

projectile.width = 16;

projectile.height = 16;

projectile.friendly = true;

projectile.aiStyle = 1;

projectile.extraUpdates = 1;

projectile.timeLeft = 300; //lasts for 300 frames/ticks. Terraria runs at 60FPS, so it lasts 5 seconds.

}

public override void OnHitPlayer(Projectile projectile, Player target, int damage, bool crit)

{

target.statLife += 10;

}

public override void AI()

{

int num1 = Dust.NewDust

(

projectile.position,

projectile.width,

projectile.height,

projectile.velocity.X,

projectile.velocity.Y,

default,

1f

);

Main.dust[num1].noGravity = true;

Main.dust[num1].velocity *= 0.1f;

for (int i = 1; i < 200; i++)

{

Player target = Main.player;

//Get the shoot trajectory from the projectile and target

float shootToX = target.position.X + (float)target.width * 0.5f - projectile.Center.X;

float shootToY = target.position.Y - projectile.Center.Y;

float distance = (float)System.Math.Sqrt((double)(shootToX * shootToX + shootToY * shootToY));

//If the distance between the live targeted npc and the projectile is less than 480 pixels

if (distance < 480f && target.active)

{

//Divide the factor, 3f, which is the desired velocity

distance = 3f / distance;

//Multiply the distance by a multiplier if you wish the projectile to have go faster

shootToX *= distance * 5;

shootToY *= distance * 5;

//Set the velocities to the shoot values

projectile.velocity.X = shootToX;

projectile.velocity.Y = shootToY;

}

}

}

}

}

It currently is set to find a player other than the main player, due to the fact that I set "i" to 1. (If it's 0 it will home in on the casting player) And I'm not sure how to go about adding the heal mechanic. I've tried a plethora of methods, but I am just to unfamiliar with this language to make any real headway. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to the modding community! I am pretty new myself, but I seem to have enough knowledge to help out here in this thread.

There's indeed many ways to make a healing projectile. The reason your code doesn't work right now is because projectile.friendly is set to true, so the projectile will never hit a player. We can't change that, though, or else there will be more problems.

Before I help you, I am a bit confused with your target code. Is "Player target = Main.player;" supposed to be "Player target = Main.player;"?

I have some ideas already of how to solve your problem, but I would like to test them first, so keep a look out and I'll be back in a day or two.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the modding community! I am pretty new myself, but I seem to have enough knowledge to help out here in this thread.

There's indeed many ways to make a healing projectile. The reason your code doesn't work right now is because projectile.friendly is set to true, so the projectile will never hit a player. We can't change that, though, or else there will be more problems.

Before I help you, I am a bit confused with your target code. Is "Player target = Main.player;" supposed to be "Player target = Main.player;"?

I have some ideas already of how to solve your problem, but I would like to test them first, so keep a look out and I'll be back in a day or two.
Sorry about that! It copy and pasted strange, and in my code it is "Player target = Main.player[ i ]"

Sorry about that! It copy and pasted strange, and in my code it is "Player target = Main.player[ i ]"

I DID IT! It was actually really fun working on this. The result was a projectile that latches on to a player and heals them over time. If you want a one-time heal instead, there's instructions in the code. More explanation is also in the code. I did end up using projectile.ai[1] so keep that in mind.
Code:
using Terraria;
using Terraria.ID;

namespace TestMod.Projectiles
{
    public class BlessingofLifeP : ModProjectile

{

{

projectile.width = 16;

projectile.height = 16;

projectile.aiStyle = 1;

projectile.timeLeft = 300; //lasts for 300 frames/ticks. Terraria runs at 60FPS, so it lasts 5 seconds.

}

{

int num1 = Dust.NewDust

(projectile.position,
                projectile.width,projectile.height,
                projectile.velocity.X,
                projectile.velocity.Y,
                default,
                1f);

//since the for loop ticks 200 times, this keeps track if the player has been healed this tick
            bool healed = false;

//projectile.ai[1] is being used to keep track of the time since the player was last healed
            projectile.ai[1]++;

{
                Player target = Main.player[ i ];

float shootToX = target.position.X + (float)target.width * 0.5f - projectile.Center.X;

float distance = (float)System.Math.Sqrt((double)(shootToX * shootToX + shootToY * shootToY));

//how far the projectile can be from the player before triggering the effect
                float margin = 0f;

//this if statement checks a few things
                //1. Is the target active?
                //2. Has the player been healed over the past 100 ticks? This amount controls how frequently the heal-over-time can be triggered. Currently it is set to 100, which means it can heal a max amount of three times (since projectile.timeleft is set to 300).
                //3. Has the player been healed this tick yet?
                //4. Is the projectile within range of healing the player?
                if (target.active && projectile.ai[1] >= 100 && !healed && distance < 50f + margin && projectile.position.X < target.position.X + target.width + margin && projectile.position.X + projectile.width + margin > target.position.X && projectile.position.Y < target.position.Y + target.height + margin && projectile.position.Y + projectile.height + margin > target.position.Y)
                {
                    //healing code here

//here's some example healing code

//heal amount
                    int heal = 10;

//prevent overheal
                    int damage = target.statLifeMax2 - target.statLife;
                    if (heal > damage)
                    {
                        heal = damage;
                    }

target.statLife += heal; //Heals for heal amount of Health

target.HealEffect(heal, true); //Creates heal visual

//kill the projectile here for one-time heal, and delete all referenes to healed and projectile.ai[1] since they would be unnecessary then
                    //projectile.Kill();

//the player has been healed
                    healed = true;
                    //reset timer
                    projectile.ai[1] = 0;
                }

//If the distance between the live targeted npc and the projectile is less than 480 pixels
                {

//Multiply the distance by a multiplier if you wish the projectile to have go faster

}
            }
        }
    }
}

P.S. Sorry that I might have messed up some code formatting, I'm quite a messy coder
P.P.S Figured out that [ i ] without spaces actually represents italic formatting in this forum, very annoying
P.P.P.S I don't actually know if the margin thingy works or not, haven't tested it lol. If it doesn't work, just ignore it, since your homing is fast enough to keep up with normal movement

Edit:
I forgot to put target.active in the if statement(I put it in now).
Also another p.s. because I'm forgetful:
I never tested your code in multiplayer, but the targeting code worked fine in singleplayer, so I assumed that it works perfectly. There might be some server sync issues with changing a player's health, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I DID IT! It was actually really fun working on this. The result was a projectile that latches on to a player and heals them over time. If you want a one-time heal instead, there's instructions in the code. More explanation is also in the code. I did end up using projectile.ai[1] so keep that in mind.
Code:
using Terraria;
using Terraria.ID;

namespace TestMod.Projectiles
{
    public class BlessingofLifeP : ModProjectile

{

{

projectile.width = 16;

projectile.height = 16;

projectile.aiStyle = 1;

}

{

int num1 = Dust.NewDust

(projectile.position,
                projectile.width,projectile.height,
                projectile.velocity.X,
                projectile.velocity.Y,
                default,
                1f);

//since the for loop ticks 200 times, this keeps track if the player has been healed this tick
            bool healed = false;

//projectile.ai[1] is being used to keep track of the time since the player was last healed
            projectile.ai[1]++;

{
                Player target = Main.player[ i ];

//how far the projectile can be from the player before triggering the effect
                float margin = 0f;

//this if statement checks a few things
                //1. Is the target active?
                //2. Has the player been healed over the past 100 ticks? This amount controls how frequently the heal-over-time can be triggered. Currently it is set to 100, which means it can heal a max amount of three times (since projectile.timeleft is set to 300).
                //3. Has the player been healed this tick yet?
                //4. Is the projectile within range of healing the player?
                if (target.active && projectile.ai[1] >= 100 && !healed && distance < 50f + margin && projectile.position.X < target.position.X + target.width + margin && projectile.position.X + projectile.width + margin > target.position.X && projectile.position.Y < target.position.Y + target.height + margin && projectile.position.Y + projectile.height + margin > target.position.Y)
                {
                    //healing code here

//here's some example healing code

//heal amount
                    int heal = 10;

//prevent overheal
                    int damage = target.statLifeMax2 - target.statLife;
                    if (heal > damage)
                    {
                        heal = damage;
                    }

target.statLife += heal; //Heals for heal amount of Health

target.HealEffect(heal, true); //Creates heal visual

//kill the projectile here for one-time heal, and delete all referenes to healed and projectile.ai[1] since they would be unnecessary then
                    //projectile.Kill();

//the player has been healed
                    healed = true;
                    //reset timer
                    projectile.ai[1] = 0;
                }

{

}
            }
        }
    }
}

P.S. Sorry that I might have messed up some code formatting, I'm quite a messy coder
P.P.S Figured out that [ i ] without spaces actually represents italic formatting in this forum, very annoying
P.P.P.S I don't actually know if the margin thingy works or not, haven't tested it lol. If it doesn't work, just ignore it, since your homing is fast enough to keep up with normal movement

Edit:
I forgot to put target.active in the if statement(I put it in now).
Also another p.s. because I'm forgetful:
I never tested your code in multiplayer, but the targeting code worked fine in singleplayer, so I assumed that it works perfectly. There might be some server sync issues with changing a player's health, I'm not sure.

Hey, thank you so much! This works perfectly, and it gives me a little more insight on how to code for health mechanics in terraria! All in all, I'm really grateful you did this! Once again, thank you! However, I tried building on the system to add a randomized projectile generation for the spell, and it didn't seem to work? Any thoughts?
NEVER MIND I'VE GOT IT TO WORK! Yay for independent learning!
Here's the code snippet:
Code:
        {
            item.magic = true;
            item.noMelee = true;
            item.width = 30;
            item.height = 32;
            item.useTime = 17;
            item.useAnimation = 17;
            item.useStyle = ItemUseStyleID.HoldingUp;
            if (Main.rand.Next(5) == 0)
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("VigorBoltAlt");
            }
            else
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("VigorBolt");
            }
            item.shootSpeed = 5f;
            item.value = Item.sellPrice(gold: 3);
            item.rare = ItemRarityID.Green;
            item.UseSound = SoundID.Item28;
            item.autoReuse = true;
            item.useTurn = true;
            item.mana = 35;
        }

Last edited:
Hey, thank you so much! This works perfectly, and it gives me a little more insight on how to code for health mechanics in terraria! All in all, I'm really grateful you did this! Once again, thank you! However, I tried building on the system to add a randomized projectile generation for the spell, and it didn't seem to work? Any thoughts?
NEVER MIND I'VE GOT IT TO WORK! Yay for independent learning!
Here's the code snippet:
Code:
        {
            item.magic = true;
            item.noMelee = true;
            item.width = 30;
            item.height = 32;
            item.useTime = 17;
            item.useAnimation = 17;
            item.useStyle = ItemUseStyleID.HoldingUp;
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("VigorBoltAlt");
            }
            else
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("VigorBolt");
            }
            item.shootSpeed = 5f;
            item.value = Item.sellPrice(gold: 3);
            item.rare = ItemRarityID.Green;
            item.UseSound = SoundID.Item28;
            item.autoReuse = true;
            item.useTurn = true;
            item.mana = 35;
        }
You shouldn't put any randomization in SetDefaults()
Everytime an item is generated, so when it drops, or you load your player, it will be shooting one of those at random. It means you can have found the weapon shooting projectile A, but next time you play it might be shooting projectile B. If you want the projectile it shoots to be random, override the Shoot hook and put your randomization logic in there. Change the type parameter to the random projectile type.

You shouldn't put any randomization in SetDefaults()
Everytime an item is generated, so when it drops, or you load your player, it will be shooting one of those at random. It means you can have found the weapon shooting projectile A, but next time you play it might be shooting projectile B. If you want the projectile it shoots to be random, override the Shoot hook and put your randomization logic in there. Change the type parameter to the random projectile type.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I left in the code from when I couldn't get it to work as an example of my bad code. Guess I should've showed the proper code as well:
Code:
public override bool Shoot(Player player, ref Vector2 position, ref float speedX, ref float speedY, ref int type, ref int damage, ref float knockBack)
        {
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("BlessingofVigorPalt");
            }
            else
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("BlessingofVigorP");
            }
            return true;
        }

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I left in the code from when I couldn't get it to work as an example of my bad code. Guess I should've showed the proper code as well:
Code:
public override bool Shoot(Player player, ref Vector2 position, ref float speedX, ref float speedY, ref int type, ref int damage, ref float knockBack)
        {
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("BlessingofVigorPalt");
            }
            else
            {
                item.shoot = mod.ProjectileType("BlessingofVigorP");
            }
            return true;
        }
You should set the ref type parameter though, not item.shoot.

Hi I've got a Question to the tmodloader.
I'm trying to make a weak version of the Medusa Head dropped from the Eye of Cuthulu. It has a different icon, but if I use it it only shows the original medusahead.
That's my code so far.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using Terraria;
using Terraria.ID;
namespace TestMod.Items
{
public class EyeOfTerror : ModItem
{

{
item.CloneDefaults(ItemID.MedusaHead);
item.damage = 2;
item.mana = 2;
item.knockBack = 5;
item.value = 1000;
item.rare = 2;
item.autoReuse = true;
}

}
}

Last edited:
Hi I've got a Question to the tmodloader.
I'm trying to make a weak version of the Medusa Head dropped from the Eye of Cuthulu. It has a different icon, but if I use it it only shows the original medusahead.
That's my code so far.

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using Terraria;
using Terraria.ID;
namespace TestMod.Items
{
public class EyeOfTerror : ModItem
{

{
item.CloneDefaults(ItemID.MedusaHead);
item.damage = 2;
item.mana = 2;
item.knockBack = 5;
item.value = 1000;
item.rare = 2;
item.autoReuse = true;
}

}
}
That's because you clone the item, and it will 'use' the original projectile. That projectile has the original sprite.

I'm trying to make a projectile with a giant hitbox. But it seems like damage is only aplied when the sprite hits the target. How can I make the projectile hit every enemy within a specific range.

I'm trying to make a projectile with a giant hitbox. But it seems like damage is only aplied when the sprite hits the target. How can I make the projectile hit every enemy within a specific range.

This might not be the best solution, but it's funny. Just make the sprite really big with empty space. :happy:

Hi I'm trying to create a weapon working like the medusahead. But it should fire very fast. I have no idea how to write the code for it.
Could you help with that please?

Hi, I'm new to modding (not codding and C# is a language I am familiar with ) and I am trying to create a ModWorld that generate more Ice biome.

As I don't want my biome to override the existing Ice biome, I run a check cursor that select a forest/sand biome. So everything seems to work fine with it: when debugging with Visual Studio, I have a size within world range (around 500 to 1000 width ), between surface and lava line.

After that I run a TileRunner task for each block within the values I get from my check.

But, when I try to create a new world with my mod I get this error:

StatusText: [14:37:50] [12/INFO] [StatusText]: Settling liquids <== Thats a few GenPass AFTER my biome...
tML: [14:37:59] [12/WARN] [tML]: Silently Caught Exception:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.WorldGen.<>c.<generateWorld>b__260_83(GenerationProgress progress)
at Terraria.GameContent.Generation.PassLegacy.Apply(GenerationProgress progress)
at Terraria.World.Generation.WorldGenerator.GenerateWorld(GenerationProgress progress)
at Terraria.WorldGen.generateWorld(Int32 seed, GenerationProgress customProgressObject)
at Terraria.WorldGen.do_worldGenCallBack(Object threadContext)
at Terraria.WorldGen.worldGenCallBack(Object threadContext)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
C#:
       public class IceBiomeInfo
        {
            public int EndOfBiome { get; set; }
            public int StartOfBiome { get; set; }
            public int SurfaceOfBiome { get; set; }
            public int DepthOfBiome { get; set; }
            public int WidthOfBiome { get => EndOfBiome - StartOfBiome; }
            public int HeightOfBiome { get => DepthOfBiome - SurfaceOfBiome; }

public static List<int> TileTypeContent { get; } = new List<int>
            {
                ModContent.TileType<SmoothIceBlock>(),
                TileID.SnowBlock,
                TileID.IceBlock,
                TileID.Slush,
                TileID.BreakableIce,

};

// Need to find an other way to get those...
            public static int[] TileOverrideAllowed { get; set; } = new int[]
            {
                TileID.Dirt,
                TileID.Stone,
                TileID.FossilOre,
                TileID.WoodBlock,
                TileID.Stalactite,
                TileID.Mud,
                TileID.Diamond,
                TileID.DiamondGemspark,
                TileID.Ruby,
                TileID.RubyGemspark,
                TileID.Sapphire,
                TileID.SapphireGemspark,
                TileID.Topaz,
                TileID.TopazGemspark,
                TileID.BorealWood,
                TileID.Platforms,
                TileID.ClosedDoor,
                TileID.Copper,
                TileID.Tin,
                TileID.Iron,
                TileID.Lead,
                TileID.Silver,
                TileID.Tungsten,
                TileID.Platinum,
                TileID.Gold,

};

public IceBiomeInfo() { }

public IceBiomeInfo(int StartOfBiome, int EndOfBiome, int WidthOfBiome = 0, int SurfaceOfBiome = 0, int DepthOfBiome = 0, int HeightOfBiome = 0)
            {
                this.EndOfBiome = EndOfBiome;
                this.StartOfBiome = StartOfBiome;
                this.SurfaceOfBiome = SurfaceOfBiome;
                this.DepthOfBiome = DepthOfBiome;

}
        }
        // Todo: Add a dungeon check
        private IceBiomeInfo FindNewIceBiomePositions(int minBiomeSize)
        {
            int maxTry = 10;
            int minX = 0;
            int minY = new Vector2(0,(float)Main.worldSurface).ToTileCoordinates().Y;

int tryPass = 0;
            Point Cursor = new Point(minX, minY);

IceBiomeInfo info = new IceBiomeInfo();

// Find a dirt biome or sand biome
            while(info.WidthOfBiome == 0 && tryPass < maxTry)
            {
                tryPass++;
                minX = Main.rand.Next(0, Main.maxTilesX);
                Cursor.X = minX;
                if (Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y] == null ||
                    !IceBiomeInfo.TileTypeContent.Contains(Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y].type) &&
                    (IceBiomeInfo.TileOverrideAllowed.Contains(Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y].type) || !Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y].active()))
                {
                    // Get biome width
                    while (Cursor.X < Main.maxTilesX && IceBiomeInfo.TileOverrideAllowed.Contains(Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y].type))
                    {
                        Cursor.X++;
                    }
                    if(Cursor.X - minX > minBiomeSize)
                    {
                        info.StartOfBiome = minX;
                        info.EndOfBiome = Cursor.X;

int skyAssurance = 50;
                        int currentAssurance = 0;
                        // Get surface line
                        while(IceBiomeInfo.TileOverrideAllowed.Contains(Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y].type) && currentAssurance < skyAssurance)
                        {
                            Cursor.Y--;
                            if(!Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y].active())
                            {
                                while (currentAssurance < skyAssurance && !(Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y] == null || Main.tile[Cursor.X, Cursor.Y].active()))
                                {
                                    Cursor.Y--;
                                    currentAssurance++;
                                }
                            }

}
                        info.SurfaceOfBiome = Cursor.Y;
                        info.DepthOfBiome = WorldGen.lavaLine / 16;
                    }

}

}

return info;
        }

C#:
       public override void ModifyWorldGenTasks(List<GenPass> tasks, ref float totalWeight)
        {
            int iceIndex = tasks.FindIndex(x => x.Name == "Shinies") + 1;
            if (iceIndex != -1)
            {
                tasks.Insert(iceIndex, new PassLegacy("MoreIce", MoreIcePlease));
            }
            else
            {
                Main.NewText("No ice Index Found", 255, 0, 0, true);
            }
        }

private void MoreIcePlease(GenerationProgress progress)
        {

progress.Message = "Give me more Ice!";

IceBiomeInfo iceBiomeInfo = FindNewIceBiomePositions(500);
            for(int i = iceBiomeInfo.StartOfBiome; i < iceBiomeInfo.EndOfBiome; i++)
            {
                for (int j = iceBiomeInfo.SurfaceOfBiome; j < iceBiomeInfo.DepthOfBiome; j++)
                {
                    WorldGen.TileRunner(i, j, 6, Main.rand.Next(1, 3), TileID.IceBlock, true, 0f, 0f, true, true);
                }
            }
        }

Any Idea why I get this error? Thank you ^^

PS: I have a custom tile but I don't use it here, so I don't think it can be the cause, right?

Edit: It seems that 500 is too big for a small world... Despite the fact I check the maxTileX limit, the TileRunner was creating blocks outside of the map...

Last edited:
I played Terraria a lot a few years ago and decided to get back into it. I downloaded it again and made a character and world. I remembered how much I disliked storage management so I installed tmodloader + magic storage. I played for a while and things were good. After a while, the games started to stutter so I saved and quit. I opened Terraria again and after the first loading screen, it went to a black screen with a steam icon in the bottom left but never went to the start menu. I could alt+win but couldn't go to task manager or the desktop. Alt+F4 didn't work and I had to restart my computer to exit Terraria. I tried again and same issue. I uninstall and reinstall both. After this I could get into the start menu but couldn't load my world and I was back to resetting my computer. I the first time it crashed I received an error window with "Cannot access disposed object." After that it was back to black screen and reboot.

I got following Problem I'm writing a script for a weapon. It is supposed to heal you if you swing it. When I use this code I get a lot of green signs. But I don't get any as healing I need it because it should remove the damage of a explosive that is fired by it and damages the player, too.

C#:
public override void MeleeEffects(Player player, Rectangle hitbox) {
            player.HealEffect(5, true);
        }

I got following Problem I'm writing a script for a weapon. It is supposed to heal you if you swing it. When I use this code I get a lot of green signs. But I don't get any as healing I need it because it should remove the damage of a explosive that is fired by it and damages the player, too.

C#:
public override void MeleeEffects(Player player, Rectangle hitbox) {
            player.HealEffect(5, true);
        }

You have a healLife property on the item class, you should try something like
C#:
{
    item.healLife = 5;
}

Back
Top Bottom