Sprites Pillar-Themed Stationary Summons!

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
Hey everyone! PhoenixBlade here. This is my first Suggestion, so let's see how this goes.
Before we get started, I'm not completely familiar with the suggestions forums. If anyone has created something similar to this thread that's more detailed than this one, I'd be happy to take this down and feature that thread. That said, let's get started!

As the title says, this thread will be focusing on Stationary/Sentry (the words will be switched multiple times :p) Summons, specifically ones that are usable just before the Moon Lord. I find Stationary Summons to be quite interesting and quite useful for any class and most situations, be it events or farming. However, aside from the small amount of Sentries there are, one tier seems to be lacking in Sentry Summons- The Cultist/ Lunar Events tier. The most used Stationary summons are found post Moon Lord (Rainbow Crystal Staff, Stardust Guardian), and no Sentry fills in the role Pre-Moonlord.

You may be wondering, what about the Staff of the Frost Hydra? Well, it's certainly an excellent weapon, very useful during events like the Pumpkin/Frost moon. However, it loses its usefulness as time goes on. At the Celestial Events tier and against the Moon Lord, the Hydra's slower beams can't keep up, as enemies can teleport/fly/run really fast. I do not plan on proposing a buff for the Staff, as it fits perfectly in its tier.

Instead, I am proud to introduce to you...:
Pillar Themed Stationary Summons! (Well, you read the title, so there was no hype there)

Anyway, this suggestion starts with the Cultist. For a fair way for every Pillar to have a summoning weapon (rather than use Stardust Fragments in all of them, as I had planned earlier), the Cultist would now drop this:
Tattered Sigil.png

A Tattered Sigil
'Unearthly voices whisper from within...'
Dropped in quantities of 10-20 from the Lunatic Cultist, this Sigil would be key in crafting the Pillar Staves (Staffs? I'm not sure :p). Plus, the Cultist does need some drops, and I feel like this fits in with the Cult theme.
Now, let's get into the actual Summons.

All Summons would be able to float midair, and would last for two minutes before despawning.
Vortex Storm Staff:
vortex col.png
Pillar0.png
Projectile_578.png

The Vortex Storm Staff summons a mini Vortex Pillar in midair. Every 7 seconds, a Portal opens up above the pillar and shoots out lightning (similarly to the Vortexian's attack) at every enemy within a 30 block radius. The lightning does not go through walls.
The stats would look a little something like this:
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigils and 8 Vortex Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator.
123 Ranged Damage
No Knockback (0)
4% Crit Chance
Costs 40 Mana

Solar Flare Staff:
solar st.png
Pillar1.png
Solar_Fragment_(NPC).png

The Solar Flare staff summons a mini Solar Pillar to attack enemies. The Staff can only target enemies in a 45 degree cone below it by shooting out Solar Fragments at enemies below it. The Solar fragments explode on contact with the ground, damaging nearby enemies as well.
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigils and 8 Solar Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator.
128 Melee Damage
Knockback 5
4% Crit Chance
Costs 48 Mana
Inflicts the On Fire! debuff for 2 seconds

Star Cluster Staff:
Star st.png
Pillar2.png
Extra_57.png
Projectile_538.png

The Star Cluster staff summons a floating Stardust Pillar to attack enemies. As seen here, the Pillar has two projectiles. The smaller one is how it attacks enemies in an upwards line (like the Twinkle in the Stardust Pillar event). The others surround the Pillar, dealing 2/3 the contact damage to enemies.
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigils and 8 Stardust Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator.
126 Summon Damage
Knockback 1
4% Crit Chance
Costs 44 Mana

Nebula Remnant Staff:
neb sta.png
Pillar3.png
ball.png
Projectile_573.png

The Nebula Remnant Staff spawns forth a Nebula Pillar to attack enemies. Every 2 Seconds, the Pillar shoots out a ball of homing Nebula energy that inflicts a new debuff- Energy flux. If an enemy were to die with the Energy flux debuff, it shoots out 3 additional Nebula Predictor projectiles that pierce and travel in a straight line.
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigil and 8 Nebula Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator
118 Magic Damage
No Knockback (0)
4% Crit Chance
Costs 46 Mana

Want to see what these would look like if in game? Well, thanks to @Willsm's amazing skill, you can see it here!
Req_1.gif
Req_2.gif
Req_5.gif

Balancing
So, a bunch of new Stationary Summons! Yay! They could, however, break the endgame if all of them, along with other sentries, were used at once. So, I propose one of two balancing ideas:
1. Only one Pillar Summon can be used at once
2. The Spawn Cap for Stationary Summons would now be 4.
Jack Morgan had a great idea as to how the entire system could be balanced:
I have to agree on Mournful relic on this. The endgame balance would be completely tossed by these, and if you added weapons for the other pillars, I feel like everything would just feel overstuffed.

However, the suggestion does seem cool. How about it be changed so that instead of all of them being summon weapons, each Pillar summon instead deals the damage type of its respective pillar, so that all classes can benefit properly from their own little tower buddy, and only one Pillar summon can be used at once? This would keep the endgame balance, and help out all classes instead of just one.
Which is why each pillar now does its class respective damage!

What do you think? As this is my first suggestion, and I'm not the greatest at balancing, I'm open to any suggestion you may have. The sprites here are a mixture of those from Vanilla Terraria and those made by my untalented self.
I hope you enjoyed this suggestion, and have a nice day! :)
6/8/16: -Created
6/9/16:
- Moved to Equipment Sub-Forum
- Edits to Class based damage thanks to @Jack Morgan
- Added Vortex Storm gif (Thanks to @Willsm)
6/14/16:
-Added the Stardust and Nebula Pillar animations

Last edited:
Those sprites are nice. This seems pretty good for your first suggestion, although I'm not exactly one to judge, since all mine are crap :p. The thing is, this would upset the balance greatly. Summoner items are supposed to be limited to the Stardust Pillar only, so these don't make sense. Also, we already got the two lunar summons, which I think makes enough summons. Otherwise, seems pretty good to me, although I haven't looked very in-depth to it.

daaaannnnggggg
i'm at this stage on my world now as it is...
and i love this idea :D
it is balanced, and it fits well.
and nice sprites :p
Glad you like it :D
Those sprites are nice. This seems pretty good for your first suggestion, although I'm not exactly one to judge, since all mine are crap :p. The thing is, this would upset the balance greatly. Summoner items are supposed to be limited to the Stardust Pillar only, so these don't make sense. Also, we already got the two lunar summons, which I think makes enough summons. Otherwise, seems pretty good to me, although I haven't looked very in-depth to it.
Nah, I've read through a few of your suggestions, and they're great!
On the point of balance, I do agree it disturbs the Pillar theme, but I feel like a Cultist approach to summons (the Cultist spawns Phantasm Dragons, and on death summons the pillars) would make some amount of sense.
Also, I don't think the idea is too game breaking. The lunar tier severely lacks Stationary summons, and what better to use than the unmoving pillars themselves :p
That being said, those are just my opinions. Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated!

Glad you like it :D

Nah, I've read through a few of your suggestions, and they're great!
On the point of balance, I do agree it disturbs the Pillar theme, but I feel like a Cultist approach to summons (the Cultist spawns Phantasm Dragons, and on death summons the pillars) would make some amount of sense.
Also, I don't think the idea is too game breaking. The lunar tier severely lacks Stationary summons, and what better to use than the unmoving pillars themselves :p
That being said, those are just my opinions. Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated!
Thanks for thinking that! I guess you do bring up a few valid points. I also forgot to say that if there are 4 summoner weapons added, you'd need four melee, ranger, magic weapons to balance it out. Maybe you should expand your suggestion! :)

A couple of changes made:
- Thread was moved to equipment instead of items
- Added a section where you can see what these pillars would look like if you were in-game (Huge thanks to @Willsm)! Check em out :)

I have to agree on Mournful relic on this. The endgame balance would be completely tossed by these, and if you added weapons for the other pillars, I feel like everything would just feel overstuffed.

However, the suggestion does seem cool. How about it be changed so that instead of all of them being summon weapons, each Pillar summon instead deals the damage type of its respective pillar, so that all classes can benefit properly from their own little tower buddy, and only one Pillar summon can be used at once? This would keep the endgame balance, and help out all classes instead of just one.

On a bit unrelated note, I think the issue of there being no sentries at the Lunar tier could be pretty easily solved by simply swapping the Stardust Dragon out for one of the Moon Lord sentries- So that we could have a Lunar Dragon and say a Stardust Crystal staff or something. Then maybe the Stardust Cell would get a little bit of love, and we could have the ridiculously OP Dragon at a more reasonable tier. And we'd have a Pillar Sentry. Everyone wins.

On a bit unrelated note, I think the issue of there being no sentries at the Lunar tier could be pretty easily solved by simply swapping the Stardust Dragon out for one of the Moon Lord sentries- So that we could have a Lunar Dragon and say a Stardust Crystal staff or something. Then maybe the Stardust Cell would get a little bit of love, and we could have the ridiculously OP Dragon at a more reasonable tier. And we'd have a Pillar Sentry. Everyone wins.
You do make a really good point about the damage of the pillars though, I'll probably change each one to each class, thanks for that!
Also, it is weird that the Stardust gear has 2 non stationary summons, and the Moon Lord has 2 stationary ones. Like you said, it would be better to switch them around, and restrict the OP Stardust Dragon to Post- Moonlord :p

EDIT: Also added a changelog displaying what goes on.

Last edited:
These look promising but an issue I see with their various types of attacks is that some would end up more useful than others. Is that suppose to be intentional even with each one using a different damage type? Hypothetically players using specific type of damage could end-up feeling short-handed if their summon isn't accurate enough or too limited in range for the mobility they normally use/need.

I'd like to see more parody between all four's attacks, they could all be set distances but with slightly altered attack intervals or projectile speeds change, even the degree of homing-in correction could have slower/faster turn angles. It just seems odd if they didn't complement the classes that they belong to.

Hey everyone! PhoenixBlade here. This is my first Suggestion, so let's see how this goes.
Before we get started, I'm not completely familiar with the suggestions forums. If anyone has created something similar to this thread that's more detailed than this one, I'd be happy to take this down and feature that thread. That said, let's get started!

As the title says, this thread will be focusing on Stationary/Sentry (the words will be switched multiple times :p) Summons, specifically ones that are usable just before the Moon Lord. I find Stationary Summons to be quite interesting and quite useful for any class and most situations, be it events or farming. However, aside from the small amount of Sentries there are, one tier seems to be lacking in Sentry Summons- The Cultist/ Lunar Events tier. The most used Stationary summons are found post Moon Lord (Rainbow Crystal Staff, Stardust Guardian), and no Sentry fills in the role Pre-Moonlord.

You may be wondering, what about the Staff of the Frost Hydra? Well, it's certainly an excellent weapon, very useful during events like the Pumpkin/Frost moon. However, it loses its usefulness as time goes on. At the Celestial Events tier and against the Moon Lord, the Hydra's slower beams can't keep up, as enemies can teleport/fly/run really fast. I do not plan on proposing a buff for the Staff, as it fits perfectly in its tier.

Instead, I am proud to introduce to you...:
Pillar Themed Stationary Summons! (Well, you read the title, so there was no hype there)

Anyway, this suggestion starts with the Cultist. For a fair way for every Pillar to have a summoning weapon (rather than use Stardust Fragments in all of them, as I had planned earlier), the Cultist would now drop this:
View attachment 116167
A Tattered Sigil
'Unearthly voices whisper from within...'
Dropped in quantities of 10-20 from the Lunatic Cultist, this Sigil would be key in crafting the Pillar Staves (Staffs? I'm not sure :p). Plus, the Cultist does need some drops, and I feel like this fits in with the Cult theme.
Now, let's get into the actual Summons.

All Summons would be able to float midair, and would last for two minutes before despawning.
Vortex Storm Staff:
View attachment 116239 View attachment 116233 View attachment 116241

The Vortex Storm Staff summons a mini Vortex Pillar in midair. Every 7 seconds, a Portal opens up above the pillar and shoots out lightning (similarly to the Vortexian's attack) at every enemy within a 30 block radius. The lightning does not go through walls.
The stats would look a little something like this:
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigils and 8 Vortex Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator.
123 Ranged Damage
No Knockback (0)
4% Crit Chance
Costs 40 Mana

Solar Flare Staff:
View attachment 116240 View attachment 116234 View attachment 116243
The Solar Flare staff summons a mini Solar Pillar to attack enemies. The Staff can only target enemies in a 45 degree cone below it by shooting out Solar Fragments at enemies below it. The Solar fragments explode on contact with the ground, damaging nearby enemies as well.
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigils and 8 Solar Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator.
128 Melee Damage
Knockback 5
4% Crit Chance
Costs 48 Mana
Inflicts the On Fire! debuff for 2 seconds

Star Cluster Staff:
View attachment 116262View attachment 116235 View attachment 116258View attachment 116263

The Star Cluster staff summons a floating Stardust Pillar to attack enemies. As seen here, the Pillar has two projectiles. The smaller one is how it attacks enemies in an upwards line (like the Twinkle in the Stardust Pillar event). The others surround the Pillar, dealing 2/3 the contact damage to enemies.
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigils and 8 Stardust Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator.
126 Summon Damage
Knockback 1
4% Crit Chance
Costs 44 Mana

Nebula Remnant Staff:
View attachment 116264 View attachment 116236 View attachment 116266 View attachment 116265

The Nebula Remnant Staff spawns forth a Nebula Pillar to attack enemies. Every 2 Seconds, the Pillar shoots out a ball of homing Nebula energy that inflicts a new debuff- Energy flux. If an enemy were to die with the Energy flux debuff, it shoots out 3 additional Nebula Predictor projectiles that pierce and travel in a straight line.
Crafted with 6 Tattered Sigil and 8 Nebula Fragments @ an Ancient Manipulator
118 Magic Damage
No Knockback (0)
4% Crit Chance
Costs 46 Mana

Want to see what these would look like if in game? Well, thanks to @Willsm's amazing skill, you can see it here!
View attachment 116466View attachment 118055 View attachment 118054

Balancing
So, a bunch of new Stationary Summons! Yay! They could, however, break the endgame if all of them, along with other sentries, were used at once. So, I propose one of two balancing ideas:
1. Only one Pillar Summon can be used at once
2. The Spawn Cap for Stationary Summons would now be 4.
Jack Morgan had a great idea as to how the entire system could be balanced:

Which is why each pillar now does its class respective damage!

What do you think? As this is my first suggestion, and I'm not the greatest at balancing, I'm open to any suggestion you may have. The sprites here are a mixture of those from Vanilla Terraria and those made by my untalented self.
I hope you enjoyed this suggestion, and have a nice day! :)
6/8/16: -Created
6/9/16:
- Moved to Equipment Sub-Forum
- Edits to Class based damage thanks to @Jack Morgan
- Added Vortex Storm gif (Thanks to @Willsm)
6/14/16:
-Added the Stardust and Nebula Pillar animations
Hmmm... I like it! I think the sprites are amazing and I like how m=you made each one do their respective damage. Just make them cost less mana and SUPPORT 100%! :D Great job!
[doublepost=1467511475,1467511454][/doublepost]
Hmmm... I like it! I think the sprites are amazing and I like how m=you made each one do their respective damage. Just make them cost less mana and SUPPORT 100%! :D Great job!
you* lol

Back
Top Bottom