Other please add flac music to the steam soundtrack DLC

Laharl_Chan

Terrarian
i was typing this thread to request a high qwuality encode for the soundtrack. but now that ive bought otherworld i see that its untagged wav so i gotta include that too

me i like FLAC audio. its lossless and small. if im familliar to a song i can tell when it has no soul (AKA no real highs or lows, AAKA MP3) because i have some decent headphones (audio technica ATH m50x)

now me i am absolutely loving the music and refuse to listen to MP3 (see above) if i can help it (the only music that i listen to thats mp3 is the normal OCremix releases (not their albums))

ive fallen in love with the terreria otherworld music and wanna throw more money your way but my refusal to listen to MP3 kinda puts a kink in that want.

i do see that the otherworld soundtrack has a high quality release (thanks for that), but for some reason its not FLAC.
FLAC has NO licence fee. and 99% of the players that support lossless music support FLAC.

heres a file size comparison to mu FLAC encode and wav files supplied by steam

1602694439079.png

dopamine is my media player.

my reason for asking
1) its free, as in no license fee for it
2) its smallish (when compared to wav)
3) its got quality.

this may not be 100% accurate and definately not 100% complete but it should be a good enough explanation to get the basics across.
mp3 makes files smaller by removing data (thats why it many times sounds flat)
FLAC on the other hand works kinda like an archive. it contains all the data the source has.
this is why when you burn a CD you should never burn a MP3 (as the CD will be of the mp3s quality)
but if you rip a flac and burn it, its fine cause all the data is there.

heres a example i like to use
when you make a photo copy you somtimes get those black spots on the copy i call those spots noise.
MP3 is kinda the same, rip a CD to mp3, listen to both youll notice the cd sounds amazing but the MP3 sounds like there is something missing.
now flac is like printing the file from a computer. there is no noise cause its not a copy, its an original.

Last edited:
I'm going to apologize in advance for bumping this (to be fair, this is one of like 4 people that negatively reviewed the soundtrack. It might be worth another look, especially since it gave me second thoughts on the DLC in question)... but I agree. Generally, the soundtrack DLC(s) for a game should be as high a quality as possible. you're trying to sell to the audiophiles, right? Not just the people that "think ur musik is gud tak mah $ pls"?

Back
Top Bottom