Would this be a viable tool/utility

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LT Jackson

Terrarian
I have no idea if this has been suggested before so if it has by all means tell me. But something I have noticed since moving from old gen to new gen console is that map exploration is much more difficult without excavating massive linear shafts. Could it be a possibility to have an NPC or item post hardmode that would allow revealing portions of the map?
In the case of an NPC you could have a geologist or something along those lines who reveals either a darkened section of the map randomly or of your choice for a price.
Alternatively you could have a single use item or an item that uses specified ammunition that reveals the area around you within a fixed radius. (Perhaps you could have the geologist sell these items or the tool itself could be dropped by Mr Jones himself.)
The price could potentially be restrictive for early game players, making it possible but not easy to reveal the map earlier on.

I'm honestly not sure what price ranges would suit to be restrictive enough without being prohibitively expensive or if this is even a good idea.

I never really found this to be a problem. Most of the time I can get the resources I need from the areas on the map I already explored before. Revealing those maps for a price would be meaningless because it would only give repeat resources or give only items that I already have access to in the map of which I have already explored.

Besides, you can easily light up the map with the use of items such as the Star Wrath and Lunar Flare.

I never really found this to be a problem. Most of the time I can get the resources I need from the areas on the map I already explored before. Revealing those maps for a price would be meaningless because it would only give repeat resources or give only items that I already have access to in the map of which I have already explored.

Besides, you can easily light up the map with the use of items such as the Star Wrath and Lunar Flare.

For me its more an issue of quarantine for the crimson/corruption and hallow. And while you could light up localised areas with those weapons you still have to mine to get to some of them, and both of those weapons are post moonlord, and for the purposes of quarantine you may want access to a tool that could reveal the map more effectively earlier depending on how you're playing the game.

At least on PC, if you use modded clients to forcefully reveal the whole map, the game will always have a hiccup when loading a world afterwards, so the map most likely gets more CPU-intensive the more you reveal from it.

Back
Top Bottom