Problems loading ***.player file

bluecifer

Terrarian
Hey All,

My son has the latest version of Terraria on iOS8 on his 5th gen iPod. He was playing it quite happily today and exited to come down for supper. When he came back he got the error "The save file ***.player was created with a newer version of Terraria and could not be loaded." Any ideas why this is happening? It's saved locally, so I'm not sure what to do with it. If I delete and reinstall the app will it kill all the saved characters?

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere - I couldn't find any threads referring to this particular error.

Thanks for the help!

I've had the same thing recently but I am on Android using a Tesco Hudl tablet.

The game crashes quite often for me as well and has the occasionally freeze on the menu screen. Sad thing is I lost one of my cloud saves recently and switched back to the local saves hoping that they wouldn't get lost and then this happens.

We've been lucky with crashing from the sounds of it - overall it runs well most of the time. The whole player file getting corrupted for no reason sure is annoying though.

From what I've gathered, something is making the game think that it is trying to load a character from a newer version of Terraria than the version that is on the device. At least it's recognizing it as a player from Terraria and not a mess of corrupted code. It is still recognizing it, but thinks it is from a newer version that you haven't downloaded. Weird.

Hello bluecifer. My son is having the exact same problem (The save file ***.player was created with a newer version of Terraria and could not be loaded). Where you ever able to find a solution?

Hello bluecifer. My son is having the exact same problem (The save file ***.player was created with a newer version of Terraria and could not be loaded). Where you ever able to find a solution?
Hey All,

My son has the latest version of Terraria on iOS8 on his 5th gen iPod. He was playing it quite happily today and exited to come down for supper. When he came back he got the error "The save file ***.player was created with a newer version of Terraria and could not be loaded." Any ideas why this is happening? It's saved locally, so I'm not sure what to do with it. If I delete and reinstall the app will it kill all the saved characters?

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere - I couldn't find any threads referring to this particular error.

Thanks for the help!
I have a potential solution - don't get your hopes up

First off, to answer your question, deleting and reinstalling WILL kill your characters and worlds. However, this potential fix is essentially moving your files to a different location, deleting your app, reinstalling your app, and moving the files back.

1. For starters, download iFunbox on your PC/Mac/Whatever, and go into iFunbox Classic (note, iOS only). Hook up your device to the computer as if you were charging it.
  2. From there, go into the Terraria app (through iFunbox, make sure you iPod is off for this part), extract your world and player files
  3. Save them to your desktop/wherever you want to put these files.
  4. Delete and reinstall Terraria iOS, ensuring that you have your world and player backed up.
  5. Finally, head back into the Terraria app (through iFunbox, iPod off), put your files back.
Best of luck, and should you need further help, contact me/another experienced iOS user/staff

I have a potential solution - don't get your hopes up

First off, to answer your question, deleting and reinstalling WILL kill your characters and worlds. However, this potential fix is essentially moving your files to a different location, deleting your app, reinstalling your app, and moving the files back.

1. For starters, download iFunbox on your PC/Mac/Whatever, and go into iFunbox Classic (note, iOS only). Hook up your device to the computer as if you were charging it.
  2. From there, go into the Terraria app (through iFunbox, make sure you iPod is off for this part), extract your world and player files
  3. Save them to your desktop/wherever you want to put these files.
  4. Delete and reinstall Terraria iOS, ensuring that you have your world and player backed up.
  5. Finally, head back into the Terraria app (through iFunbox, iPod off), put your files back.
Best of luck, and should you need further help, contact me/another experienced iOS user/staff

I'm having the same issue and I'm trying to find the world and player saves can you make a more specific way of how to find them?

Back
Top Bottom