Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I have a set up that has 2 pumps moving lava from a shared pool, then 4 more pumps moving the lava back down. It's a lava trap that I can activate when needed without building up too much lava. The lava slowly disappears over time. It's on the surface.

the 2 pumps moving everything upwards are on a 5 second timer
the 4 pumps moving lava back to the pool are on a 1/2 second timer.

It's hard to know for sure, but it seems to lose about 60-80 blocks of lava per hour

According to the wiki lava will start to evaporate if it falls more than 10 blocks. Is the lava pouring down a long distance in your setup? If so that might be the problem.

According to the wiki lava will start to evaporate if it falls more than 10 blocks. Is the lava pouring down a long distance in your setup? If so that might be the problem.

It happens with every liquid. I was affected doing the same thing with honey.

The wiki does say
After flowing 50 blocks in a direction, lava will begin to evaporate, causing the source to be lost.
but that's only for spreading out over a sufficiently wide surface, and all fluids suffer from this; it will absolutely not evaporate if it drops down. I'm not seeing the 10 block thing you're talking about.

It happens with every liquid. I was affected doing the same thing with honey.
I have a set up that has 2 pumps moving lava from a shared pool, then 4 more pumps moving the lava back down. It's a lava trap that I can activate when needed without building up too much lava. The lava slowly disappears over time. It's on the surface.

the 2 pumps moving everything upwards are on a 5 second timer
the 4 pumps moving lava back to the pool are on a 1/2 second timer.

It's hard to know for sure, but it seems to lose about 60-80 blocks of lava per hour
Could you link some screenshots please?

Could you link some screenshots please?

I stopped using the pumps because of this. It was a simple loop: an output pump over two platforms, input pump was in a 4x3 space surrounded by wood tiles, 10-15 blocks below the output pump. There was nothing in between but a row of platforms so that honey was free to fall down and fill the hole again.

The loop was kept alive by a 1sec timer.

The wiki does say but that's only for spreading out over a sufficiently wide surface, and all fluids suffer from this; it will absolutely not evaporate if it drops down. I'm not seeing the 10 block thing you're talking about.

I was going off of memory there, I looked it up a while ago and might have got the number wrong.

Nothing is falling 10 blocks currently. It does spread over the ground about 10 blocks though

Last edited:
Here are the screenshots of the configuration. (Sorry for the messy wiring, I am no master)

The blue circles are the pumps that clear the lava from the top - The blue squares are the pumps that move the lava from the reservoir up to the death pit.

Attachments

• Bottom Side.PNG
    Bottom Side.PNG
    325.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Top Side.PNG
    Top Side.PNG
    432.8 KB · Views: 81
Yeah, your wiring and setup is a bit confusing..

So you're taking lava from a pit, sending it to a trapped arena/afk thing, and sending it back down again?

I also stopped using pumps ages ago because sometimes they would duplicate liquids (which is patched now) and sometimes they would delete liquids. I feel that the risk isn't worth the reward. Thankfully, we had the Bottomless Water Bucket to help with water, but now we also have the Bottomless Lava Bucket. I recommend going for some lava fishing.

Yeah, your wiring and setup is a bit confusing..

So you're taking lava from a pit, sending it to a trapped arena/afk thing, and sending it back down again?

I also stopped using pumps ages ago because sometimes they would duplicate liquids (which is patched now) and sometimes they would delete liquids. I feel that the risk isn't worth the reward. Thankfully, we had the Bottomless Water Bucket to help with water, but now we also have the Bottomless Lava Bucket. I recommend going for some lava fishing.
Yeah sorry. I have been messing with the configuration a lot and not bothered to tidy up the wiring yet.

Each Red wire is connecting 2 pumps (intake and output) That take the lava up
Each green wire is connecting 2 pumps that take the lava down. I have more down pumps because of how the lava was building up if I just pumped it from 1 side.

I am really wanting to figure out the pump setup because I don't fill like manually filling the lava pit each time I want to use it. I also want it cleared of lava in between because the "death pit" is hidden from the surface until activated and I like that aesthetic. So I hide the lava reservoir and remove the lava between events.

Previously, I had multiple pumps wired on the same line (same red wire connecting 2 intake and 2 output pumps) and that did all sorts of weird stuff. Now I just have 6 pairs of pumps in total and they are all independently wired from each other.

Back
Top Bottom