Pumps Still Dupe Liquids (Water at least)

Kurasu

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I set up a 'spider web farm' which drops water down on in a wave over a spider nest, pours it off into a cistern, and can then be pumped back up to the top to repeat as needed.
Each time I run the cycle, the water will overflow the cistern a fair amount. So somewhere along the line, the water is being duplicated. Otherwise, it should be filling it to the brim and not beyond (maybe a little trickle due to water physics, but not to the degree it is).

Everyone has been reporting that the 'pump method' was fixed, yet I can find no mention of it in the patch notes, and this very definitely is still happening.... so is this the Mandala Effect? Or *was* it supposed to be fixed, and wasn't?

I don't remember this being fixed or if they'll ever fix it, because it's just part of how the water works. Duping happens when using buckets as well and even when using natural flow. Something tells me they would need to overhaul how liquid works in this game in order to fix it.

In the meantime, you can use the infinite drain technique using a filled container and some lava to deal with the overflow. When a filled container is submerged in lava, no obsidian can form there, but any water falling onto it will still disappear. The lava will not be affected.

I don't remember this being fixed or if they'll ever fix it, because it's just part of how the water works. Duping happens when using buckets as well and even when using natural flow. Something tells me they would need to overhaul how liquid works in this game in order to fix it.

In the meantime, you can use the infinite drain technique using a filled container and some lava to deal with the overflow. When a filled container is submerged in lava, no obsidian can form there, but any water falling onto it will still disappear. The lava will not be affected.
What’s the container? I don’t get what your saying, if you were meaning actuate a block and put the lava in then that I get

It's been a while since I last looked into this, but my understanding is there are potentially two ways to easily duplicate water:
1. Connect one inlet pump to two outlet pumps (duplicates liquids) (Was fixed at one stage, but put back in?)
2. Run water over many blocks so it keeps falling (slowly increases total volume)

Based on comments from the developers when water physics were changed, these methods of water duplication are at least kept intentionally. From your post, it seems like #2 may be in effect for you? Do either of those seem to apply to your setup?

I'm also unsure if you're saying that water is overflowing from the pump (for lack of a better phrase). Outlet pumps can't raise the water level higher than the pump itself under normal circumstances.

A screenshot of your setup would also be good to understand how it's working. :)

Can-do! Warning: big picture (because big farm) and fairly dark because it's unfortunately not lit in the center and it's underground; hopefully it comes out clear enough.
The setup is that all the blocks actuate, dropping the water to the 'ground floor' where it runs off into the glass cistern to the right (which doesn't have to be glass, but personal aesthetics liked it being a glass tank). Once all the water has run off, I pump it into the upper tank again.
I'm not positive whether the water is duplicating when it falls, or when it is being pumped back up (or both).

Attachments

• Capture 2020-08-20 21_09_53.png
    Capture 2020-08-20 21_09_53.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 264
Thanks for the description and screenshot!
I'm not an expert on this, but I suspect it's related to the way the liquid hits the ground and flows over the edge. Assuming the stone blocks are not also actuated, the water runs over the edge of them and increases its volume a little each time. (Plus there's the edge point where the inflow pump is.) Eventually, it overflows. It's not my decision, but I don't think it will be fixed as many players use it for liquid duplication.

If you move the outlet pump so it's not higher than the glass walls at the top, the water will not overflow from the top. (Outlet pumps can't raise the water level higher than the pump itself.) Removing the side chamber and putting the inlet pump on level ground might also help.
Aside from that... excluding the Super Absorbent Sponge, there's no way I am aware of to drain water or keep it under control in these sort of systems. Maybe check out the TMEC section of the forums - the masters of wiring are there and they may have guides or advice for liquids.

By the way - there's a single mossy stone block in the bottom left (just above the third torch from the left) where the glass block edging should be. I had to mention it. :D

Thanks for the description and screenshot!
I'm not an expert on this, but I suspect it's related to the way the liquid hits the ground and flows over the edge. Assuming the stone blocks are not also actuated
They are. :) The entire room, essentially, is actuated; all the levels get removed, and it falls in a single line down to the bottom glass layer, which is the unactuated one(s). But it *does* flow over the edge of the glass into the cistern below.

If you move the outlet pump so it's not higher than the glass walls at the top, the water will not overflow from the top. (Outlet pumps can't raise the water level higher than the pump itself.)

Ah! Fortunately on this I may have misspoke: it's only overrunning the *bottom*. When I pump it to the top, it doesn't overflow, and because the water in the bottom cistern is always going to finish at the same level once it's done draining, it's not going to as long as I don't try and pump before the water's done draining out.

By the way - there's a single mossy stone block in the bottom left (just above the third torch from the left) where the glass block edging should be. I had to mention it. :D
Whoops! So there is! Thanks! I'll tidy that up. :D This is what happens when you run too fast while block-placing.

Back
Top Bottom