Question [Question] A simple max hit/second trap setup for home defense and events?

WhiteWind

Terrarian
Greetings!
I literally registered here because I was not able to find a concrete answer on either YouTube or here, on the forum.
I would greatly appreciate help with the specific mechanism that I am looking for. What I am looking for is to have a compact mechanism to activate traps to achieve max hits per second (I believe it is currently 6, if I am not mistaken) on mobs. The said mechanism needs to be able to be turned on/off with one switch.
I am fairly new to terraria's wiring and can roughly get my head around the logic gates but not much more than this. In the past I've been making do with just stacking multiple trap types together with lava and sticking everything on the shortest timer. But this seems far from optimal.
So, my reasoning is I would probably want to take spear traps since they have the highest damage per hit and can activate once every 1.5 seconds. So I will probably need 12 of them on a 2 second timer (or just a 1 second timer, missing every odd tick). And here is my main problem: I wasn't able to find a concrete and clear solution as to how to activate traps one by one in the precise 6 activations per second manner and keeping them on a timer like that and also being able to turn them all off with just one switch. I have found timer cascades but they seem to usually describe extending timer delays whereas I seem to require the opposite: creating a 1/6th of a second timer and activating them consequently with shutoff option.
While we are on the topic of traps: I would appreciate information on: if it is viable to try and stick a flame and/or dart trap in the mix somewhere to add the flame and/or poison damage in the mix. And will lava interfere with max hits/second. Having lava is desirable to me to get rid of copper coins.
I am playing on journey mode (but expert difficulty), so resources are not an issue for me. But I do often create new characters just to play through the game as a different class hence why I need a simple mechanism since I will be replicating it on every new world I start.
And finally, since terraria is at 1.4 and tmod is at 1.3 - I guess I need 2 versions of the abovementioned mechanism that will work in either versions of the game (I believe 1.4 can take advantage of the logic gates to make the mechanism more compact and/or automated, whereas it is a different story in 1.3)
All I've been able to find are videos of either player or mobs dropping down platforms with pressure plates or wiring a trap/portalgun station to fire at a set of teal plates (which both seem to take too much space) It seems to me that the answer is very simple but I was not able to locate it.
Just for reference: here is a picture of what I am trying to work with:
01.jpg
I have removed all other wires, not related to traps for now. There are 14 rows of traps currently because I tried the 'drop down through platforms with plates' mechanism and 14 seems to cover every frame instead of just 12. But, again I was hoping there is a more elegant solution out there? The abundance of conveyor belts seems to also present a wiring problem for me since I will have to wire around them to avoid toggling their direction.
Initially I had this setup to deal with main mobs above and enemies that can phase through blocks would accumulate below. My main base is located about 60 blocks above this arena.
If there are suggestions to change the layout of this event arena - I would love to hear them too.

I do apologize for the wall of text, but I just wanted to provide as much information and details to the issue that I have.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose a bird statue with 14 pressure plates spaced out by one block will have to do. Not quite sure how many hits per second this does but still better than what I had before. Although I had to tone down the number of spear traps because they seem to be hitting the spawn cap.
Wasn't able to find any more compact solution

as of 1.4.0.1, there is 1/2 second timer and 1/4 second timer purchasable from the Mechanic for 2gp each. these will help you get those half-tick activation of your traps, but it will need a cascade of timers activated through the bird statue setup.

Well, how many ticks per second does a bird achieve, while hitting pressure plates one block apart? I assumed it was close to 6...
I did find a timer cascade design with shutoff here: Guide - Timer Cascades with Logic Gate Control
But I couldn't figure out how to hook it up to timers for traps since each timer in that design is already surrounded by wires of all 4 colors. And trap timers would need

Edit: Here is what I have right now:
12.jpg
The timers are 1 second (anything less seemed to present a gap in the spikes' activation cycle) and I had to remove every odd column of spikes, otherwise the dart trap wouldn't even fire to kill the bird

Last edited:
It may not be as compact as you want it to be, but the combination of dummy engine and shift registers would do the job.

Capture 2021-10-07 20_49_24.png
Capture 2021-10-07 20_49_16.png

It might seem intimidating if you are not that familiar with wiring in Terraria, but what this device does is quite simple; it activates spear traps in sequence along with the corresponding 1/2 timer at exact 10 12 tick intervals. And with this setup 10 seems to be the minimum number needed for the max 6 hits/s.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't actually expect any replies to my question anymore. But I do appreciate your effort! Would you be able to elaborate as to why you specifically chose exactly 10 lanes on spear traps? Shouldn't 12 be optimal for the 6 hits per second at 1/2s timers? Or did you leave one frame for player-caused damage? It is all answered above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom