Question about the new Unity pricing policy

topperharlie

Terrarian
If I remember correctly Terraria 2's first steps were being taken on Unity. Not to mention that perhaps mobile and/or consoles are made in Unity.

Given yesterday's nonsensical announcement by Unity:
  • Will this be a problem for Terraria as of today?
    • Thinking that mobile/console have a fixed price, and this clown CEO wants to charge per install, everyone here knows that Terraria keeps being played forever... so it is installed in many different hardware devices / each sale.
  • Please consider doing Terraria2 in another engine.
    • I don't want to feel guilty when I reinstall the game after many years of owning it.
    • I don't want unity gathering my information and sending it over to monetize.
    • Even if they backtrack, I don't want the uncertainty of them changing the conditions retroactively again and making Terraria2 unplayable at some point in the future.

Not sure if any Terraria dev will read this, but it would be nice to know your take on this as a long time fan of the game.

If you ditch Unity and that that means big delays don't worry, you know you have our full support! :)

Nothing has been decided about what engine our second game (T2 or whatever it might be) will utilize - but you can rest assured that the events of the past week have made it almost certainly "not Unity". -_-

While we don't personally feel like we can make a big public statement - as we only barely use Unity, and for only certain platforms - about how it impacts us, etc., rest assured that our entire team is VERY much against this move by Unity and equally HOW they conducted it. It is predatory, punitive, and deceptive. Greedy and wrong in every way imaginable.

Mobile/Console does utilize Unity for some aspects - but the majority of the code foundation is more akin to the PC codebase. The team at DR Studios is exploring contingency plans if this policy persists. If we have to undertake a swapover of those elements to another engine, it will cause costs and delays... and we will just have to ask everyone's forgiveness if/when that happens.

That said, we have never been more glad Terraria PC runs on its own engine. :cool:

Just to clear the air.

Many thanks for the reply Loki! is nice to see Terraria is safe from this :)

and many thanks for the great work on this amazing game <3

Back
Top Bottom