Question [Question] 'Cart-tronics'? 'Cartronics'? Naming Minecart Powered Mechanisms...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroGravitas

The Destroyer
I've not given minecarts anywhere near the love they deserve. I want to explore and expose their capabilities more. I think it would be useful for this domain of devices to have a succinct name, although I'm wary that it might sound a little silly (like 'hoiktronics' does?). So what do people think of:
  • Minecart-tronics
  • Cart-tronics
  • Cartronics (my favourite to write, but sounds too much like Car-tronics?)
  • Minecart-mechanisms
  • ...?
It would definitely encompass the more complex, computing-like, elements that use rails. Like these shown below...
Cartronics - Counter, reset, distributor.png

Wiring: Cartronics - Counter, reset, distributor (wiring).png

...The binary counter is from my recent video, and anything like the alpha numeric display in there I'd include in this classification too (if minecart powered). T-MEC thread on the 14 and 16 segment displays here.

But what about (simpler) more practical applications? Traps and statue farms. Should this kind of creation also be classed as 'cartronics' too? It's pretty precise, since the track lengths, plate spacings and wiring can be tweaked quite carefully for optimal statue output.
YGTlAkz.png

"Minecart Engine" by @Mimp on TO wire creations forum.

I'm planning a full forum guide on this topic and already have a few more rail device designs in mind + a video, of course, and a more complex machine too, probably. So I'll happily take any suggestions/contribution for the guide, etc. Main thing is I didn't want to plaster an unpalatable name into the thread title to start with.

Last edited:
Since hoiktronics refers to the method by which the signaling agent travels, it would be consistent to call minecart-powered devices "railtronics". The analogous term to cartronics would be skeletronics.

Plus, cartronics is awkward. Railtronics rolls off the tongue better ;).
Yeah, this ees good.

I'm leaning towards "tracktronics" right now, as being the most technically correct (and having a "k" in the middle, like "hoiktronics", for better of worst).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom