Question [Question] How do you make a (simple) segmented display?

Crdguy

Terrarian
Was just looking around the site and I keep seeing so many segmented displays.
Surely wires would overlap and make it impossible?
Currently I'm working on a design that uses a torch display... but it is overly complicated and crosswires are everywhere.

Haven't acquired the logic gates yet, but I think you should be able to create 7 segments for each digit, with each segment activated by a logic gate, that in turn are activated when an input is given. For example, inputting 1 will activate the right segments, inputting 0 activates border segments, inputting 7 activates top and right segments.

Haven't acquired the logic gates yet, but I think you should be able to create 7 segments for each digit, with each segment activated by a logic gate, that in turn are activated when an input is given. For example, inputting 1 will activate the right segments, inputting 0 activates border segments, inputting 7 activates top and right segments.
This is quite true, As you'll see from my following images

NOTE: This is just me slapping together something quick and dirty, your wiring can be much prettier and better organized.

The way it works is with XOR gates, and a stack of 11 off Logic Gate Lamps above each one. This allows you to have a row to turn on all, and then a second row with what I like to call "teeth" to turn each specific segment off. Logic Gates from left to right turn of the following segments:

1. Bottom Center
2. Top Right
3. Bottom Right
4. Center Center
5. Bottom Left
6. Top Left
7. Top Right

While this may not be the cleanest order, you can always change which one activates a specific section for your own builds.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

As seen in the section below, the whole row for the "active digit" turns on, and based on the pairing, each even has upwards teeth, while each odd has downward teeth (this can be reversed by starting with 1 on the bottom and 0 on top of the 9). These teeth determine which lights do NOT turn on.

5.png

5-0.png

5-1.png

5-2.png

5-3.png

5-4.png

5-5.png

5-6.png

5-7.png

5-8.png

5-9.png

While there may be more elegant ways to do this, this is the simplest I've discovered.

This is quite true, As you'll see from my following images

NOTE: This is just me slapping together something quick and dirty, your wiring can be much prettier and better organized.

The way it works is with XOR gates, and a stack of 11 off Logic Gate Lamps above each one. This allows you to have a row to turn on all, and then a second row with what I like to call "teeth" to turn each specific segment off. Logic Gates from left to right turn of the following segments:

1. Bottom Center
2. Top Right
3. Bottom Right
4. Center Center
5. Bottom Left
6. Top Left
7. Top Right

While this may not be the cleanest order, you can always change which one activates a specific section for your own builds.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

As seen in the section below, the whole row for the "active digit" turns on, and based on the pairing, each even has upwards teeth, while each odd has downward teeth (this can be reversed by starting with 1 on the bottom and 0 on top of the 9). These teeth determine which lights do NOT turn on.

5.png

5-0.png

5-1.png

5-2.png

5-3.png

5-4.png

5-5.png

5-6.png

5-7.png

5-8.png

5-9.png

While there may be more elegant ways to do this, this is the simplest I've discovered.
Such a simple circuit- never thought it was so easy. Now I just have to find a way to link it up to my systems!
[doublepost=1477586242,1477564834][/doublepost]Well, inspired by your design I made a slightly different display. Works perfectly, I'm just not uploading all of the files of the numbers.

105600_20161027173230_1.png

Here's the wiring:
105600_20161027173224_1.png

Such a simple circuit- never thought it was so easy. Now I just have to find a way to link it up to my systems!
[doublepost=1477586242,1477564834][/doublepost]Well, inspired by your design I made a slightly different display. Works perfectly, I'm just not uploading all of the files of the numbers.

View attachment 145597
Here's the wiring:
View attachment 145598
Like I said, mine was a quick slap together to show you the concept of the XOR logic gate method of controlling the segments. I expected you to improve upon it for your build. Glad to see that you have a working version!

Like I said, mine was a quick slap together to show you the concept of the XOR logic gate method of controlling the segments. I expected you to improve upon it for your build. Glad to see that you have a working version!
Yeah, I just wanted a system I could copy later on.
[doublepost=1477656399,1477589938][/doublepost]There, found a practical use for it!
105600_20161028130345_1.png

Was just looking around the site and I keep seeing so many segmented displays.
Surely wires would overlap and make it impossible?
Currently I'm working on a design that uses a torch display... but it is overly complicated and crosswires are everywhere.

Where have you been for like the last 20 updates? XD Displays like this have been around for a very long time. Just with the 1.3.1 wiring update they got a lot smaller and easier to make.

Back
Top Bottom