PS3 Random Dashboarding and Freezing

UnchainedPower

Terrarian
The game does this very inconsistet thing where the screen goes black and I'm sent to the ps3 dashboard. Its not tied to any events as far as I can tell since I've gone through solar eclipses without an issue, yet flying off randomly just black screens me.
Then, to make matters even more frustrating, the game will sometimes just upright freeze in the middle of me fighting a boss or mobbing.
I even spent 45 minutes wiring a teleporter to my dungeon across the map only to find out the teleporters are bugged and don't work after some distance (on console apparently) and then black screened while trying to see if I messed up somewhere.
The freezes and black screens happen in both online multiplayer and offline solo. It's souring my enjoyment of this game severely.

Does this happen with any other game?

Nope. Me and friends can go hours on GTA or Dark Souls and everything is fine. But Terraria is not stable on Ps3.
Its happened to me and a few friends multiple times.

Edit: Discussed the issue with said friends, it's been occuring since the update on console that brought things like the travelling merchant and such.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add a bit to this thread, whatever info I can gather. From me and a friends time playing through multiplayer we've experienced the black screen dashboard issue at least 2 to 3 times during our sessions (which are about 4 to 5 hours).
On rare occasions he'll black screen, tell me so, then a second later the "error. Connection to host has been lost" message occurs, then I black screen as well.
It's been difficult trying to pin point the cause of this.. since it's occurred during mobbing, PvP, and even just chest organization.
I believe it may very well be tied to the amount of time played. We ruled out multiplayer as an issue since this still happens in offline.
Any info anybody else can give would be great because I'm at a bit of a loss. :(

Could be memory related? Or the RAM is being over used, do you and your friend run other programs when playing terraria? Like skype or music using psn?

Could be memory related? Or the RAM is being over used, do you and your friend run other programs when playing terraria? Like skype or music using psn?
Nope. We only run Terraria and that's it. His PS3 is the latest model and runs like a dream.
Mines a slim, but doesn't have any trouble playing more demanding games like Battlefield and GTA V.
From what we could tell, game doesn't have any issues running and performing, but suddenly just gives up.
I wish I had more to give.
Although I did restore my database today, so I'll see if that changes anything.

One more thing it could be world related, sometimes thing in worlds or big worlds with lots of items crash
Possibly, but my world is relatively new and doesn't have much. Nothing out of the basics at least. A house, arena, and a plant farm. Thats about it. And they're not grand in spectacle like some of the more artistic players' worlds.

After a night of playing and failing to force a crash, yet still having plenty occur, I did notice one small hint.

Props to user who made this thread:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-various-glitches-of-console-terraria.20336/

It does a good job of pinpointing a lot of console terrarias issue.
But the black screen of death occurs more often then just during saving and opening the map.

On several occasions the game has black screened during a variety of events, only thing linking them being that they were forced by using an item, and occasionally opening the map.
These have included: Using the Pumpkin moon Medallion, Placing a water candle, using a bucket on lava, even using a weapon.

The black screen didn't occur every time, yet would sneak up on us when we got caught up in the game. Id like to say this problem is linked to auto save, but it needs more testing.
One things for sure tho, PS3 Terraria likes to believe your multiplayer world is still open after you've crashed.

IMG_20151030_113117.jpg

Yup. Just confirmed it.
Through rigorous time on Terraria, the auto save feature + a random action causes the black screen of death on Ps3. More consistently does this happen while trying to open the map (pressing select).

Happened to me and my buddy 20 seconds apart. He pressed select, black screened. I pressed select not noticing the auto save, and black screened.

Back
Top Bottom