Game Mechanics Re-think the new Happiness/Pylon mechanic with Celestial Pillars

2mg

Terrarian
This might only be an issue in small worlds, I can't speak for larger ones.

Basically, Happiness systems and Pylons want you to spread towns.

Celestial Pillars can be semi-approximated, but if you're building towns which is now really important, you kinda don't think about the very end game Celestial Events.

So, while I'm okay that they spawn where they usually do, they should at least spawn on the side of, above, heck even below, but not right in the middle of a town:

Terraria_2020_07_12_23_34_48_107.png

I suggest a simple check for Housing Flags, or a mathematical "middle" of a town, and if one should spawn like in the image, just put it 100+ blocks higher, or to any side.

Losing an NPC, in my case the Goblin Tinkerer, means I can't get one till end of Moon Lord (whatever the outcome).

Since Pylons and Happiness are so much advertised in 1.4, it seems like this 1.3 mechanic was forgotten about, just like I have when I was building a town.
And it's disruptive, because I really need that town in that place, I've a small world, I need it right there.

I know this isn't a critical issue, but it still seems very overlooked, and would be a nice QoL improvement.

Seconding this suggestion. I absolutely do not open up a new world and think "hmm, where are my Pillars going to be at endgame?" I think about that sort of thing when I've beaten Golem and decide if I can be arsed to make an arena for them [and the answer is usually no]. On both of my Large worlds I had a Pillar spawn on top of a town. I think the game already checks a few things to see if it's safe to spawn in the Pillar in a given location, there's no reason it can't put in a check for the presence of a nearby Pylon.

Seconding this suggestion. I absolutely do not open up a new world and think "hmm, where are my Pillars going to be at endgame?" I think about that sort of thing when I've beaten Golem and decide if I can be arsed to make an arena for them [and the answer is usually no]. On both of my Large worlds I had a Pillar spawn on top of a town. I think the game already checks a few things to see if it's safe to spawn in the Pillar in a given location, there's no reason it can't put in a check for the presence of a nearby Pylon.
Exactly the point, really you don’t know where the pillars are going to end up until they happen to be there, RNG chooses where to place them randomly, meeting the requirements like xemiel said.

Back
Top Bottom