Game Mechanics Revisiting the chest limit, a petition to Re-Logic

trigger_segfault

Spazmatism
hR35dTR.png

(A player unable to place anymore chests)

Storage Methods

Terraria has almost reached 4000 items. So where are you going to put all of them? In chests. Storage is of vital importance in Terraria. For some, throwing items in random chests is fine. Finding things this way is beyond difficult. For others there needs to be a basic layout where matching items all try to fit in a single chest. This makes finding things easier but eventually you'll have to split categories into multiple chests. Then there's people who store almost every item they've ever encountered into a mass organized system for access. These people are known as hoarders.​

Hoarding

With almost 4000 unique items, Terraria is practically built for hoarders. The average hoarder pools all loot gathered after playthroughs into a single location to access. This slowly builds up overtime to the point that multiple chests are needed just for stacks of dirt! Once a collection has expanded far enough, the user will discover the frustrating chest limit.​

Sacrifices

The 1000 chest limit currently in Terraria may seem large for some people, but others know the true pain of making sacrifices just to keep the chest limit in quo. Players have to go out of their way to remove every natural chest from the world just to fit the amount of chests they need. Some players have to remove all dressers for aesthetic reasons due to their status as a storage container. Others have to make due with trapped chests, yet those have an awful glow to them that stands out like a sore thumb. But worst to come is when at the chest limit itself, the user will have to remove from their storage area just to make room for other builds in the world.

Some may think this is a recent issue, but this has been complained about for years. Bases like this one can never be finished due to this crippling setback. Of course it's very understandable why there is a chest limit in the world. Too many chests could negatively affect loading/saving time or generally cause lag in the world. But some players are willing to make the sacrifice for this.​

And Finally

The devs have created so much for this community over the years and we give our thanks. We at least want a response from the devs about the chest limit to understand either why it stays that way or if it will ever be increased in the future. With that, the matter can finally be settled.​

I'm also a hoarder when it comes to saving items from every playthrough, but I know my limits.
I think logical if I really need to save up the item or if I can easily pick it up from an easy source (example: shops, easy source, or not all too hard to obtain from a new world with an end-game character)

I never save up chests full of just dirt or stone, I'll not even get the need to use more than 4 stacks. and if I do. I'll just pick up the drill containment unit and go mine a new world.

1000 chests really sounds like a huge overkill for me already, As saving more than 5 duplicates of the same item is much more than I need.
I mean, would one ever use all of their 10+ duplicates of items they've saved? It all just sounds like overkill.

This is just my opinion about this.

Last edited:
Personally I have used more than ten duplicates of items, especially when it comes to updates bringing more accessory combinations. I often go through dirt like crazy during my terraforming sessions and there's no reason to go mining for some when I can easily store it with me.

I dunno why there is a limit, game engine limitations perhaps? But 1000 containers is a lot.
If you don't go out of your way to store every single item that you find then you should have plenty of space, so I am a bit mind-boggled how people can reach this limit.
With 4000 items you'd need 100 chests to store one of every item, so no problems there either.

I'm not against your suggestion (why would I, if they'd increase the limit it'd make no difference to me anyway), but the limit is possibly there for a reason (map corruption?) and I just wonder if you'd not be better off with doing some proper spring cleaning. :p

I think only the most extreme of builders/hoarders will care about this limit. Most people can do just fine with <100 chests when talking about practicality, even if they were saving everything they found in a normal playthrough (i.e. not gunning for some gigantic build). I still have <100 chests even when I save up to 5 copies of each accessory (one for each modifier type, and I sell the inferior ones). (In fact, my accessories only take up 3 chests, 5 if you count the ankh shield and information accessories.)

Well, if there won't be any technical issues on the devs' side, I also don't see why the limit can't be raised. It's just changing a single value after all.

I agree, I usually spend hours of my time looking for and destroying natural chests just so i can expand my collection of crap i dont need.

39.9M blocks in storage is not enough?
40k Armors /Accessories and Weapons?
Unthinkable, how many duplicates do you even have?!

Back
Top Bottom