WIP Rising Atlantis

Daleksax

Terrarian
Rising Atlantis has been an ongoing endeavor to build what may be one of the largest, most ambitious maps in Terrarian history. Started April 1, 2013, Rising Atlantis is still very much work in progress and after undergoing multiple hiatuses, work has been resumed on it. Originally started back on "Terraria Online", the project has now been transferred over to the official Terraria Forums.

Rising Atlantis Story/Design:
Before delving into the build itself, it may serve the better good for me to clarify to those of you who are new to the project the bases of Rising Atlantis (RA). Originally intended to serve as a Role-playing server, The beginning of the construction of the map was heavily influenced by the lore provided below. Since my resurrection of the map I've decided to diverge from the path of creating a Role-playing server and to simple build a well themed, yet interesting map. However I am considering turning it upon completion into an adventure map. Nevertheless despite Rising Atlantis no longer being designed for it's original purpose I do intend to stay true to the original lore. This mostly being for the sake of build consistency and driving imagination and depth into the world.
For those interested the lore is provided here:
*Please note that I am only giving a very small portion of the lore just to give those who are interested a basic understanding of what RA's story truly is. The full lore is still being written and I most likely will not show it off untill either server launch or a few days before.*

The oceans of the land once belonged to an ancient race of beings, not much is known about them, but all that can be said is that a footprint of them still exists. It is not them in their native form, but yet cursed, by the god they loved, to the oceans they reaped. The Merfolk people are strong, magic, water dwelling beings who have been cursed to an eternity forced underwater.(In the complete lore I will get more into this)

These people, the Merfolk lived in harmony, collecting knowledge, and prospering in their underwater utopia they name Sitnalta. Centuries passed undisturbed for these beings, completely ignorant to what happened upon the isles above their water.

Years after the ancestors of the Merfolk were forced to live underwater, a new race of land dwellers began to inhabit the isles above the oceans. These being referred to themselves as Simia, they often carry a beast like form that resembles an ape, yet they are far more intelligent then the average primate. Skilled in hunting and archery, the Simia cultivated the land and became one with nature.

The Merfolk came across the Simia at some undefined point between the great war (getting to that) and the arrival of the Simia in the land of the isles. It is assumed that the two races occasionally intermixed but chose to mostly ignore each other with the Simia claiming the land and the Merfolk claiming the sea. The land they shared was perfectly fit for two, alas three is a crowd...

In recent years, a new race entered the land; "Humans," they claimed the isles of the west as their colonies and quickly forced out the Simia who lived on those islands with their superior combat and technology. The Humans claimed the land they concurred under the flag of Atlantis and began to quickly take advantage of the abundance of natural resources found all along the great isles.

Tensions between the Simia and humans quickly grew out of hand as the Humans continued to try and force their way farther east into the Simia territory to gain even more resources. This in the end sparks the great war, which will last a total of one-hundred years and end in bloodshed. The Merfolk chose to ignore both sides and stick to their solitude, this in turn would anger both the Simia and Humans, but very little was done during the war against the Merfolk, but hatred towards them would be prevalent after the war.

The war ended with twelve hero's (four from each race who had agreed to work together to form piece)being killed in symbolism to the end of the war. A treaty was drawn up among the three races known as The Treaty of Pacem, yet even though the treaty declared neutrality, the lands of the sea would remain a powder keg and just one wrong move could set off the act of war once more...

Race summaries:
Merfolk:
Merfolk have a blue/green tinted skin, with either deep blue eyes like the sea or dark green. They worship the God of the Ocean, Maris. He is their main God, along with the Goddess of Magic and the Goddess of the Night. You can find various temples to their deities scattered across the ocean floor. The Merfolk are very religious and always place their trust in their Gods.

The Merfolk are a neutral race and tend to stay out of the business of the land dwellers. They are known for the peaceful nature and the aptitude for Magic. Their most prized possession is knowledge. The are the oldest race in Atlanthia and hold libraries filled with the history of the nations. Their capital is Sitnalta which is home to the Magic Shrine, the highest pinnacle of Sitnalta and a place of prayer and communication with the land dwellers.

The Merfolk race will be lead by the Church of Maris and the High Priest and his Council. The High Priest of Maris is basically the voice of god, and even though he considers the advice of his priests and Council, every decision is ultimately made by him. You are automatically added to the Council of Merfolk if you become a Priest of Maris, though you are only considered trustworthy if the High Priest approves of you.
Simia: The Simia are a ape-like race with hair covering most their body and leathery skin. They use primal weapons and technology and their aptitude for magic is almost non-existent except for the Simian witch doctors. Where they lack in technology and magic, they make up for their natural enhanced abilities. They can see in the dark and farther than humans, have uncanny hearing, and are very fast and agile.

They are not as smart as the Merfolk or as technically advanced as the Humans, but their strategical planning is excellent and wins most of their battles. They are a republic and ruled by an elected leader - the Super Vindentis. The Simia worship the Gods of Life and Day and Goddess of the Forest. They are very nature minded individuals and build their cities in the high branches in the giant trees of the jungle. They are a farming people and are self sufficient. They eat off the land and use ancient methods to purify the sea water.

Simian are mostly warriors that use swords, bows, crossbows, and spears. They rarely use magic except for the Venenarus (ven-E-nar-us) who typically is an alchemist and Seer.
Human: The Humans are the youngest of the races in the evolutionary tree. Mostly hairless and of a tall, upright posture, the humans are far advanced in technology and strong with advanced weaponry. Humans often are stubborn and continue to push towards their goals no matter what stands in their way, their arrogance often leading to their own defeat.

Originating from the lands of Azalon to the West, the Humans that settled the coasts of what are now Atlantis belonged to the Atlantian empire. The Humans that settled the coasts created a series of colonies in which they had forced Simia previously residing there out. Antlantians used these colonies for great economic benefit both through natural resources and trade, yet the never ending human thirst convinces those living in the Atlantis sea colonies to continue to push further into Simia territory.

The Humans typically worship the Gods of Life, Time, and Prosperity. They are a very inventive race and mass produce weapons such as Guns,Swords, and Flails. There is the rare human wizard that practices magic, but their magic is usually primitive compared to that of the Merfolk.

Humans rule under a puppet monarchy in which an indirect king/queen rules the entire land through secrecy while using representatives as his/her puppets, to ensure his/her safety and the safety of his/her people.
===============================================================================================================================================================
Rising Atlantis as of: 4/21/15
2h4z3na.jpg
Port Maris
2cdzv9w.jpg

Valora
kafpld.jpg

Industrial Weapons plant (Rudoboy)
factory-png.53302

Mines of Azalon
2wemmb6.jpg

Shrine to Tempus(ExplosiveSheep)
t7nx90.jpg

Shrine to Atlanthia
bhkv9g.jpg

Fort Aberdeen
2elceis.jpg

The Valorian Perch
vwu35f.jpg
The Minervana Institute
ohutj9.jpg

Shrine to Nyx
9a5lbc.jpg

Sitnalta
15gxces.jpg
Simia Capitol
200blw6.jpg
33c1zra.jpg
qxmclf.jpg
o7psuh.jpg
15s0jfl.jpg

Shrine to Juniper
1zbs0ll.jpg

Shrine to Salvus
5tyjd1.jpg

ThE ChAsM
2r4kdv6.jpg

The Siram Post
34qvlm9.jpg
Palace of Nolzana
a2gnz6.jpg
==============================================================================================================================================
Contributors:
-Wazer95 :: (Builder and Signiture Creator)
-PlatinumAce :: (Concept and Ideas)
-Rudoboy :: Builder (Industrial Plant, Submarine)
-Mr. Mystery:: (Concept, ideas, doc organizer)
-ExplosiveSheep (Vita Public Arena, made a signature, Shrine to Tempus, Shrine to Nyx, Shrine to Cassandra)
-TheMuteLibrarian: (Simia Statue, Shrine to Felix, Shrine to Salvus)
-Secrease: (Merfolk Statue Set, Sky Outposts)
-DiexSmiling: Server host
=======================================================================================================================

I am searching for contributors to the project, if your an exceptional builder and you would like to either contribute through permanent devotion or part time contributions please private message me. If interested you must be able to provide a portfolio of your terraria builds and be willing to cooperate. I am highly selective and only expect the best quality

Please remember to check back often to view progress updates and world changes, I am open to criticism and suggestions for future builds in Rising Atlantis and would love the to read your comments.

If you would like to get an early version of the map you can download it here(note that the map is very incomplete and WIP making it difficult to navigate): http://www.curse.com/maps/terraria/rising-atlantis

Last edited:
Is this going to be a server, or is this just a super big build?
As I stated, until further notice I have no intentions of opening RA as a server of any kind, however if interest in the future does persist I may reconsider. That being said, my only intention as of right now is to essentially complete the entire map as a "mega-build" from there I'll choose whether I desire to convert it into an adventure map, server, or another option.

Update: #1
f1dz81.jpg

Now that I'm getting back into the swing of things I decided why not give a small update on what I have started working on upon my return. Before I do that, however I would like to be clear in saying that I will not give a defined update schedule; just expect them when they are ready. I do not want to put to much pressure on myself to keep on top of updates, I would rather enjoy my time on the project at my own pace.That being said, I'll move onto the build!
====================================================================================================================================
15gxces.jpg

I have begun construction on "Sitnalta"; the capitol city of the Merfolk people. I am beginning with the construction of the residential sector of the city, from there I will expand into the market and government sectors. The city will be divided by large pillars such as the two seen above.
29upzj9.jpg

The challenge in building these underwater structures is making them as aesthetically pleasing as possible. What normally would prove viable out of water often does not once submerged. The mask that the water places on furniture and back walls makes it difficult to build definable structures with easy. Though I am confident that with some more time I'll be able to overcome this hurdle and push the appeal of Sitnalta over the edge.
================================================================================================================================
Whilst I am working on construction of Sitnalta I also plan to expand on the ChAsM and doing some work on the islands above. I am also searching for contributors to the project, if your an exceptional builder and you would like to either contribute through permanent devotion or part time contributions please private message me. If interested you must be able to provide a portfolio of your terraria builds and be willing to cooperate. I am highly selective and only expect the best quality.

Until next time, good day!

I think for the adventure map or big build it will be very great)
But as for the server is not much, because people come to the server to construct their buildings or with interest to spend time in the caves with friends)
Good luck to all of you! I would like to to see the final work)

Update: #2

I finally decided that I was going to get around to my last massive wave of terraforming for the map today. I had been procrastinating on doing so for a very very long time simply because sitting for multiple hours in tedit editing terrain is not the most exciting thing I could be doing with my time, though now that I am through with it I am thoroughly relieved and feel that it will make all the difference going into the future.

Below is a what the world used to look like:
f1dz81.jpg

And here is what the world looks like post today's terraforming:
2vcjadk.jpg

It is rather pleasing to see those to huge gaps on the side of the map filled in after probably about a year of ignoring them.

30rkuno.jpg

I implemented a section of crimson, hallow and mushroom biome into the chasm. A lot of what was put in are just placeholders till the ruins are properly built and placed throughout the chasm. There will be one set of ancient ruins per biome in the chasm.

23r7p0m.jpg

The caves were also implemented around the Palace of Nolzana, this however is not all that will be under azalon, I plan to construct an entire lost underground city around the palace of nolzana. This of course may be in the very distant future

2dak934.jpg

Lastly I added some more small island structures extending from the Simia capitol. As for what will be placed on them I am not entirely sure yet, but I am sure it'll come to me with some time.

Last edited:
Update #3:
2h4z3na.jpg

I've been cranking out work at a rapid pace the past couple days (at least within my standards) so why the hell not keep you guys up to date. My progress might slow back down though soon depending on how my schedule works out, but don't worry, progress will still be underway! Anyways as I've mentioned before I am still looking for exceptionally talented builders to join in on the project and assist, if you are such a person, just drop me a private message and we may negotiate from there, note that all credit is given to contributors when and where it is due.

9k2f7n.jpg

To start, I constructed a small dock off of the western side of Valora. The dock will slowly obtain more and more teleporters as I link it up to other human islands. As of right now that will be the most direct way to get between the different human islands. Originally I was planning on building boats at each doc/harbor and placing teleporters in the hulls of each boat and that being the way between islands but after some experimentation my ability to build any sort of ship has proved futile. Unless someone talented enough comes along and can contribute such boats I will leave the teleports on the docks.
vwu35f.jpg

Following that I decided to fill in one of the deserted islands that I had yet to build on directly west of Valora, I came to deem the island the Valorian Perch. Being located directly west of the city of Valora, the perch serves as a checkpoint for incoming travelers to the city. The light house serves to prevent incoming ships from coming to close to the capital city in bad weather. Again you can see a teleporter on both sides of the island; the one on the right is linked to the one in the Valorian dock, the one on the left is yet to be linked.
Working on the lighthouse was a bit different for me, because I actually messed with paints for once. I tend to try and avoid using paints in my builds because they often tend to clash with textures of neighboring blocks that aren't painted and as a result it gives a choppy look. However I feel like, while simplistic, my use of paint was optimal in the lighthouse because I wanted to use the grey brick texture through out the entire structure and my original plan of using pearlstonebricks and red bricks would not have given the same effect.

This looks fantastic! My building abilities in Terraria are still in relatively low level, but I can build small things fairly well. I shall contemplate putting forward some form of port folio for the aforementioned boat building. I Look forward to seeing more updates

Hey! It's back! Do I still have a mod role? I'm guessing no, unless you say yes.
You are still white-listed for it in case I ever plan to go down the path of becoming a server, but as I have mentioned I just want to complete the map and from there I'll plan on what I want to do with it. If the interest is heavily prevalent I will of course work on getting a role-playing server started , but I am leaning more in favor of converting the map into some sort of adventure map upon completion. (That is of course if I ever finish the map haha ~:D)

Was just snooping around terraria forums after months away and I find this? Can't believe it. It's coming together and looks great. Support +1

You should ask Khaios if he wants to help. He's made quite a lot of magnificent builds ( forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/builds-by-khaios.3303/ ) and he's really good at finding ways to decorate

Back
Top Bottom