Sending two different signal types through single wire.

pbq

Terrarian
Was fiddling around with teleporters trying to figure out a way to send command to select which npc to teleport to me, using only one wire. Gave up on teleporters because of wire mess with shifter, but got signaling working at least. Didn't recall anything similar posted here, so decided to share.
Capture 2017-07-14 20_03_22.png

Capture 2017-07-14 20_03_27.png

Top switch sends a 'double pulse' and activates top torch. Bottom switch sends regular 'single pulse', and activates bottom torch.
Not entirely sure how it works, I had a an idea, but trying to simplify it further based on it didn't work. Don't really feel like testing it further or diving into code atm, so just posting as is. Feel free to use or forget.

This works, because even if you trigger a faulty logic lamp twice in one wire iteration, the logic gate will only activate once, at the end of the iteration. By sending a double signal, you trigger the faulty lamps, but the "base" lamps get switched back to their original position.
There are actually some pretty neat things that you can do with doubled signals.
By the way, this sort of thing has been done before. https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/serializing-data-save-wire-space-and-nerves.43886/

I actually use that property quite a lot.
But i do send signals on different execution steps, to make deserialization easier.

And here some example of static memory:
nA7YL8r.jpg

I this particular example i contain information in groups of 32 bits, and i can read it whole in (under) 1 tick.
[doublepost=1500059421,1500059112][/doublepost]You also may check out my Bad Apple!! demo, it works in the same way.

But i do send signals on different execution steps, to make deserialization easier.
Well, I am quite sure you actually can't actually deserialize data sent in a single iteration. You can check if there were an even or uneven number of signals, but nothing more. You can't get logic gates to activate multiple times and hoiks won't work either.
I am currently building a life like cellular automaton simulator thing, and I experimented with using that sort of thing to count neighbors in one iteration. It didn't work out. But I am using a serial bus to push data between two memory modules.

Well, I am quite sure you actually can't actually deserialize data sent in a single iteration. You can check if there were an even or uneven number of signals, but nothing more. You can't get logic gates to activate multiple times and hoiks won't work either.
I am currently building a life like cellular automaton simulator thing, and I experimented with using that sort of thing to count neighbors in one iteration. It didn't work out. But I am using a serial bus to push data between two memory modules.
but it has been already done and proven multiple times, even in the thread you linked above...

Back
Top Bottom