Server without Port Forwarding

loganwfalk

Terrarian
I live on-campus at a university, and because of how the network is set up, my public and private IP addresses are the same. Furthermore, I have no access to the network settings, so I can't open any ports. I'm not sure I'd need to open any ports though, since my IP addresses are the same (and ports are used in tandem with private IP addresses to forward incoming data to the appropriate device when multiple devices share the same public IP address). Do ports become redundant when my public and private IP addresses are the same? When I run TerrariaServer.exe, should I not enable port forwarding? So far, my friends have not been able connect to any server I create--with or without port forwarding enabled. We have been able to play together over Steam multiplayer, but a dedicated server would be ideal.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I'm afraid it probably depends on the setup of your university network - it sounds like quite a unique one. Usually you do need to have a port opened for dedicated servers to work, and in order to do that you would need admin access to the network, which I assume you will not be able to get at university. The easiest solution is probably to get someone who does have access to their network settings to host instead as they can setup the portforwarding.

Back
Top Bottom