Weapons & Equip Shards: A True Weapon Crafting Revamp

What do you think of this idea?

• Looks great!

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Looks good, but I don't really care about the other biome variants, so those shouldn't be used.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Looks okay, but I don't like the Essence of Eternity being required for Ria.

• Looks okay, but I don't like Ria period.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Meh.

• I don't like it, because I like grinding for Broken Hero Swords better. (Tell me why.)

• I don't like it, because it's poorly balanced. (Tell me how.)

• I don't like it for a different reason. (Tell me, and I'll see what I can do.)

• I just don't like it period. (That's great, but constructive criticism would be appreciated.)

• Total voters
This suggestion is no longer relevant, as the changes to the way the Broken Hero Sword drops have basically fixed the issue.

Teeeeeeeechnically, this is largely a revamp to Solar Eclipse drops, however because it's also a complete revamp for True/Terra weapon crafting, it makes the most sense (at least to me) to put it in Equipment.

So anyway, what are these "shards" I speak of? Quite simple, really- I'm aiming to take a bit of the edge off of Broken Hero Sword grinding by tying it to a very common drop that you need lots of (thus actually tying it to the quantity of monsters killed) instead of a rare drop you need a few of. This also aims to fix the whole issue with making other varieties of True Weaponry, namely the need for extra drop types.

NOTE: This thread goes largely under the assumption that Cyber and the entirety of Tobbvald's Tinkering is taken into account. If you haven't seen those suggestions yet, I seriously recommend checking them out- they're pretty sweet.

Essence Shards are quite simple, and the very core of this suggestion. Any Solar Eclipse enemy has a 90% chance to drop 1 or 2 of these when killed, meaning you can very quickly accumulate a lot. These act as a replacement for Broken Hero Swords, which would be removed completely and replaced with another item I'll get to shortly, but come in much greater quantities. Why, you ask? Because you need a lot of them.

"The basic essence of power"
Something that occurred to me when coming up with this idea is, combining a broken sword with a non-broken one to make the non-broken one much more powerful doesn't exactly make sense, in two senses- first off, no new material is added to the True swords, just an added aura, which means it's not simply a case of forging the Hero Sword into the weapon; second, it's clearly not a case of taking the energies from the sword and imbuing the biome weapon with them to improve said weapon, as it's probably safe to say a simple anvil can't do that. As such, I came up with two solutions to this problem- the first is Essence Shards, and the second is the Arcane Essence Altar.

The Arcane Essence Altar is a crafting station that's fairly simple to craft- 20 Tier 10 Bars (Hallowed, Cybernetic, or Covert), 25 Essence Shards, a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil, and 20 of any biome's imbuement material (Crystal Shards, Beam Reactors, Cinder Sap, Cursed Flames, Ichor, or Miasma). This Altar has two primary purposes- the crafting of advanced essences, and the imbuement of objects with said essences. (Additionally, it also functions as a Tier 2 anvil, a Tier 3 furnace, and a Demon Altar all in one, crafting-wise.) It's bigger than a standard anvil (about the size of a Demon Altar), but has the bonus of allowing much more compact crafting and means you don't have to keep a Demon Altar around for the rare cases you need one. More importantly though, it enables you to craft your True and Terra weapons, as well as Ria, and anything else that might use Essence Shards.

And no, smashing it will not spawn new ores.
Next up we have 6 different types of essence you can craft straight from Essence Shards, and you can probably guess what exactly they're supposed to represent.

There's one type of Essence for each Infection- Darkness for Corruption, Light for Hallow, Order for Cyber, Chaos for Crimson, Life for Covert, and Death for Contagion. Each is made with 50 Essence Shards, 20 of their respective elemental component (souls, cores, or runes), and 2 of their respective specialty component (shards, orbs, or links). For instance, an Essence of Darkness would be made with 50 Essence Shards, 20 Souls of Night, and 2 Dark Shards, while an Essence of Life would be made with 50 Essence Shards, 20 Life Runes, and 2 Links of Life.

These special essences would replace the Broken Hero Swords in the crafting recipes for their respective True Swords- Darkness for True Night's Edge, Light for True Excalibur, etc. This has two benefits- first off, it gives another usage for a biome's specialty components, which thus far are basically useless if you're not a melee user. But there's a second advantage- it takes away the whole "Broken Hero x" trend and allows any True Weapon to use whatever Essence they warrant. (In other words, if a staff equivalent to Night's Edge was introduced, it could be made into a True Weapon using just an Essence of Darkness instead requiring the addition of a Broken Hero Staff.) This is a massive boon because it means for any given True weapon you don't have to wait for the RNG to decide to give you a specialized component, and you don't need extra broken weapon types to be added to the drop pool to add other variants of True Weapons, such as bows, staves, or tomes.

But wait, then how do you craft the Terra Weapons?

"Concentrated essence of an infectious element"
This is how you craft Terra Weapons. As I mentioned before, Broken Hero Swords would be removed completely from the Solar Eclipse drop pool, and instead any existing swords would be replaced with a different item. This is that item- Balanced Essence. It has three varieties, one for each set of Infections, and each Balanced Essence variety is used to make its corresponding Terra Blade- Hallow/Corruption for the normal Terra Blade, Cyber/Crimson for the Terra Cleaver, and Covert/Contagion for the Terra Brand. The respective version can also be applied to other Terra-style weapons, though some could also use any of the three.

Balanced Essences are crafted in a similar fashion to the previous biome essences, but using 1 evil biome essence, 1 anti-evil biomes essence, 10 more Essence Shards, and 5 of the two biomes' imbuement ingredients. For instance, an Essence of Chaos, an Essence of Order, 10 Essence Shards, 5 Ichor, and 5 Beam Reactors. The essences and imbuement ingredients must correspond; sorry, no Corruption/Covert combos.

It's important to note that while the different Balanced Essences would share the same basic info in-game, their sprites would differ based on the variety- purple and cyan for Corruption/Hallow, red and white for Crimson/Cyber, and green and orange for Contagion/Covert. Unfortunately, I don't currently have sprites handy to demonstrate this, but I should get to it eventually.

In case it wasn't clear, ultimately the Balanced Essence is here to allow any Terra-style weapon to exist without adding extra drops to the pool. That means no need for Broken Vigilante Tomes or anything like that. This also makes it very easy to add new weapons along that vein, as it means that if you got plenty of Essence Shards already, you don't have to get more Solar Eclipses to get your hands on new components.

It's also noteworthy that unlike the original setup, the cost to upgrade actually scales- you need a total of 4 biome essences to get your Terra weapons, versus the 3 swords you need normally. This trend continues into the next tier.

"Perfectly balanced essences of opposite nature"
And finally, we reach the ultimate in essences. Essence of Eternity is one additional component for crafting Ria (note that this one is completely optional, but I feel it makes sense), and the culmination of all those essences you've crafted already. As you can probably guess, Essence of Eternity is a fusion of the three varieties of Balanced Essence, and is the essence of everything.

These have two uses- one is for crafting Ria, and the other is for possibly the silliest thing a crafting component like this can be used for. I'll get to what that is later. For right now, Ria. Essence of Eternity would merely be added (only 1, as with all the other essences) to its existing recipe (as proposed by Tobbvald), and crafting it is fairly straightforward- 1 Balanced Essence of each flavor, 5 Ectoplasm, and 3 of each boss soul/core/rune. (You can use any mix of souls, cores, and runes, so long as you come out at 3 Might-variant, 3 Fright-variant, and 3 Sight-variant.)

Now, with that out of the way, let's alleviate the slightly serious tone of this thread with some silliness. You can throw Essences of Eternity! Yes, I'm serious here. When you throw an Essence of Eternity, it'll explode on contact with any block, but yet won't actually do anything. Or will it? Upon exploding, it doesn't actually damage anything, but instead randomly converts blocks within ~8 tiles into other variants- for instance, converting stone into one of the six different Infection stones, or converting dirt into other soil types (sand, mud, snow, ash), and so on. It'll also drop the 6 Biome Essences, so you only lose some Essence Shards, some souls, and some Ectoplasm. Could be very useful, or completely useless. Take your pick. (Likewise, Biome Essences and Balanced Essences will do something similar, with the former converting blocks into the biome/world's respective counterpart (basically a larger-radius Water that also works on Dungeon Brick and woods) and the latter doing the same, but randomizing between the two, and additionally randomizing ores.)

"The essence of all that exists"
BONUS CONTENT:
And here's the extra Essence types! Currently only used for keymolds.

There are four additional essences that can be crafted- Earth for the Desert, Frost for Ice, Fire for the Underworld, and Vegetation for the Jungle. Each one is made from resources from the biome they correspond to. Because of the massive variety between these biomes, naming a general recipe is next to impossible, so instead, have four separate ones:
  • Essence of Earth: 10 Essence Shards, 50 Sand, 1 Evil Mummy Drop (Dark Shard, Orb of Anarchy, or Link of Death), and 1 Anti-Evil Mummy Drop (Light Shard, Orb of Order, or Link of Life)
  • Essence of Frost: 10 Essence Shards, 1 Frost Core
  • Essense of Fire: 10 Essence Shards, 50 Living Fire Blocks
  • Essence of Vegetation: 10 Essence Shards, 3 Stingers, 3 Jungle Spores, 15 Chlorophyte Ore
Each recipe crafts one essence.

"Concentrated essence of the elements"

And that about covers it for now. As time goes on I might add new varieties of essences to this list, either to accommodate my other ideas or to change recipes for existing things to be more suitable. Suggestions, comments, and feedback in general welcome!

(Yes, you're allowed to use this idea as a base for your own ideas; in fact, I'd be very happy if you did.)

Last edited:
This looks great and so much less grindy than the current system, and opens the way for a terra spear, hammer, bow, and whatever else.

Like all the things related to Tobbvald's tinkering and the cyber, I support this fully, but am hopeful for a mod because the sheer size gives it no hope for vanilla.

This looks great and so much less grindy than the current system, and opens the way for a terra spear, hammer, bow, and whatever else.

Like all the things related to Tobbvald's tinkering and the cyber, I support this fully, but am hopeful for a mod because the sheer size gives it no hope for vanilla.
That was precisely my goal. Ultimately it's not actually that much less grindy (you still need to kill something like 100-200 Solar Eclipse monsters for the entire set), however the way it's set up makes it feel less grindy because you're actively making progress the entire time. It also takes a lot of it out of the hands of the RNG.

As for the latter half of your post, this is one of those ideas where it can be applied even if other related suggestions aren't, although for full implementation it does indeed require other suggestions to be implemented, which with the scale of some of them is sadly very unlikely.

I like this so much!

We should keep the Broken Hero Sword as an RNG from something, so we can make @Sir Cutswood's Hero Sword.
Sure, I guess, but it shouldn't be used for the Terra Blades, hence me suggesting replacing the item with a Balanced Essence (a generic variety, to be specific, which can be used for any of the Terra Blades).

This is well thought-out and makes a lot of sense. Broken Hero Sword grinding is one of the hardest things about hardmode. :/
My only issue is that you would need 3 worlds to obtain the Ria, but I understand where you are coming from on that one. I generally use multiple worlds anyway, but some people only like using one world, even if that makes it impossible to get every item. That can't be helped, though, and your method is the best way of implementing it as a true end-endgame weapon. Keep up the good work!

This is well thought-out and makes a lot of sense. Broken Hero Sword grinding is one of the hardest things about hardmode. :/
My only issue is that you would need 3 worlds to obtain the Ria, but I understand where you are coming from on that one. I generally use multiple worlds anyway, but some people only like using one world, even if that makes it impossible to get every item. That can't be helped, though, and your method is the best way of implementing it as a true end-endgame weapon. Keep up the good work!
Somebody made a World of Chaos thread, it has all of them in one.

Assuming the respective drops drop based on their respective biome instead of based on what set of biomes the world has (which is a dumb idea), it should theoretically be possible to obtain Ria in one world; Tobbvald's proposed something along these lines.

Originally I was considering just making it use a generic Balanced Essence using any of the three recipes, but that didn't really feel right because the idea I have for the sprite would be similar to a yin-yang symbol, and there's no combination of colors that will make one work for all three sets of biomes; the original coloring implies "light and dark", which works for Hallow and Corruption, but not the other combos.

To be 100% honest, as I mentioned in an earlier post, technically speaking both approaches take about the same amount of grinding (on average), it's just a case of this approach takes said grinding out of the hands of the RNG and makes it feel like you're actively accomplishing something the entire time instead of slaughtering hordes and feeling like you're getting nothing done because nothing's dropping. Keymold grinding has a similar issue, and that's part of what makes grinding for the items so frustrating. (I might look into making Keymolds require biome Essences to craft instead of them being random drops, or something to that effect; however that'll be trickier as I'd have to figure out how to handle Ice, Jungle, and in the case of other biome chests, Underworld (Actually that one's pretty easy), Desert, and a couple other varieties.)

This solves so many issues, and allows for the removal of RNG from the situation- and anything that does that, I support. Also, the concept just has that "feel" to it, the one that's hard to describe, except that it feels right in some very important way.

This solves so many issues, and allows for the removal of RNG from the situation- and anything that does that, I support. Also, the concept just has that "feel" to it, the one that's hard to describe, except that it feels right in some very important way.
Glad to know that, I try. ^w^

There is still a bit of RNG to it, as it's not a 100% chance, nor is it always 1 (which kinda cancel each other out, actually), and RNG still determines mob spawning, however that level of RNG is a lot more reasonable.

Glad to know that, I try. ^w^

There is still a bit of RNG to it, as it's not a 100% chance, nor is it always 1 (which kinda cancel each other out, actually), and RNG still determines mob spawning, however that level of RNG is a lot more reasonable.
With a 90% drop rate, RNG would have to hate you a lot for you to not eventually get enough shards.

With a 90% drop rate, RNG would have to hate you a lot for you to not eventually get enough shards.
Yes indeed. The same cannot be said of the current setup, where the RNG only has to hate you a little to make it take much, much longer. And if the RNG hates you a lot... well, sorry, no Terra Blade(s) for you.

There is a slight disadvantage to the approach I took as well, namely it eliminates the scenarios where the RNG decides to be nice and give you 10 Broken Hero Swords in the span of a single Eclipse (if not more), but in some cases that might also be better.

On a semi-related note, apparently you need 985 Essence Shards in total to make Ria. Which means roughly 730 kills (the average Essence Shard drop rate per mob is 1.35). Might want to revise this plan a bit. (Might have bosses like Plantera drop Essence Shards to ease that grinding a bit.)

EDIT: With some quick math and research, the Broken Hero Sword has a 1 in 250 chance of dropping from two specific mobs, and you need 3; that means at the most you'd need to kill 750 of those two specific mobs. Essence Shards have a 90% drop rate and drop 1-2, but they can drop from ANY enemy, not just Frankensteins and Swamp Things. The average drop rate is 1.35 per kill, so you'd need 730 kills on average.

Frankensteins and Swamp Things together make up something like 2/3 of the spawns during an Eclipse. However, there's a factor I didn't initially take into account, and this is a massive flaw in the Broken Hero Sword mechanic that I suspect even Re-Logic might fail to take into account. 1.3 is getting new Eclipse mobs. That means the spawn pool gets diluted and you get less Frankensteins and Swamp Things spawning, increasing the time it takes to get all those kills even further, whereas the time for Essence Shards will always stay relatively the same. As well, because of the tighter constraint on RNG influence, Essence Shards have much closer floors and ceilings on the number of kills, whereas the floor and ceiling for the Broken Hero Sword starts at 3 and can end up being basically infinite if you're really unlucky. (That'll almost never happen, however the ceiling can go very, very high because of how the RNG works.)

tl;dr: I actually don't need to do anything for Essence Shard drops as the theoretical killcount needed is slightly lower and applies to all Eclipse mobs, not just Frankensteins and Swamp Things. In other words, it's future-proof (completely unintentionally) and much less brutal.

I will still look into the keymolds thing, though.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. The same cannot be said of the current setup, where the RNG only has to hate you a little to make it take much, much longer. And if the RNG hates you a lot... well, sorry, no Terra Blade(s) for you.

There is a slight disadvantage to the approach I took as well, namely it eliminates the scenarios where the RNG decides to be nice and give you 10 Broken Hero Swords in the span of a single Eclipse (if not more), but in some cases that might also be better.

On a semi-related note, apparently you need 985 Essence Shards in total to make Ria. Which means roughly 730 kills (the average Essence Shard drop rate per mob is 1.35). Might want to revise this plan a bit. (Might have bosses like Plantera drop Essence Shards to ease that grinding a bit.)

EDIT: With some quick math and research, the Broken Hero Sword has a 1 in 250 chance of dropping from two specific mobs, and you need 3; that means at the most you'd need to kill 750 of those two specific mobs. Essence Shards have a 90% drop rate and drop 1-2, but they can drop from ANY enemy, not just Frankensteins and Swamp Things. The average drop rate is 1.35 per kill, so you'd need 730 kills on average.

Frankensteins and Swamp Things together make up something like 2/3 of the spawns during an Eclipse. However, there's a factor I didn't initially take into account, and this is a massive flaw in the Broken Hero Sword mechanic that I suspect even Re-Logic might fail to take into account. 1.3 is getting new Eclipse mobs. That means the spawn pool gets diluted and you get less Frankensteins and Swamp Things spawning, increasing the time it takes to get all those kills even further, whereas the time for Essence Shards will always stay relatively the same. As well, because of the tighter constraint on RNG influence, Essence Shards have much closer floors and ceilings on the number of kills, whereas the floor and ceiling for the Broken Hero Sword starts at 3 and can end up being basically infinite if you're really unlucky. (That'll almost never happen, however the ceiling can go very, very high because of how the RNG works.)

tl;dr: I actually don't need to do anything for Essence Shard drops as the theoretical killcount needed is slightly lower and applies to all Eclipse mobs, not just Frankensteins and Swamp Things. In other words, it's future-proof (completely unintentionally) and much less brutal.

I will still look into the keymolds thing, though.
I never thought of that. I was disagreeing with the Shard idea until I saw this post. I like the idea of "True" other weapons, but I don't like the complexity of the idea of the shards. I found it hard to follow. I would rather broken hero swords get replaced with shards, but instead of all the complicated crafting, have just shards required to get to the higher-tier shard. In recent updates, Re-Logic made hallowed armor simpler to craft, the abeemanation simpler to craft, and others, it would not make sense for Re-Logic to make shards so complicated. Shards shouldn't require a biome specific item to craft into a higher tier. Also, to combat the fact that people can get lucky with broken hero swords, but not with shards, some Solar Eclipse enemies should have a chance to drop higher-tier shards.

What if the True Copper Shortsword were implemented? What shards would it use then?
Admittedly I didn't think about that when I made the thread, so I'm just going to go with I said in the True Copper Shortsword thread, which would be "just use 50 Essence Shards".

Might make a dedicated Essence at some point, probably with even more copper.

Admittedly I didn't think about that when I made the thread, so I'm just going to go with I said in the True Copper Shortsword thread, which would be "just use 50 Essence Shards".

Might make a dedicated Essence at some point, probably with even more copper.
Well, do you think that sort of essence would have a tooltip like "the essence of an unsung hero"

I never thought of that. I was disagreeing with the Shard idea until I saw this post. I like the idea of "True" other weapons, but I don't like the complexity of the idea of the shards. I found it hard to follow. I would rather broken hero swords get replaced with shards, but instead of all the complicated crafting, have just shards required to get to the higher-tier shard. In recent updates, Re-Logic made hallowed armor simpler to craft, the abeemanation simpler to craft, and others, it would not make sense for Re-Logic to make shards so complicated. Shards shouldn't require a biome specific item to craft into a higher tier.
In the grand scheme of things it actually works exactly the same, at least when it comes to the actual crafting process. Ultimately it seems really complex because I'm terrible at explaining things.

Also, now that I've tied my Key Mold crafting suggestion into this, using generic essences is basically impossible because that would break the entire thing. Crafting a Crimson Key Mold using essences crafted from Jungle ingredients would just be silly.

As well, part of this is also rooted in the fact that it doesn't make much sense for adding a broken sword to grant radically different abilities, ESPECIALLY when Tobbvald's True Sword rebalance is counted. The same applies to generic essences, which is the big reason for me choosing to to separate the crafting recipes out AND have them require biome-specific ingredients. After all, True Night's Edge has nothing to do with Cursed Flames OR beam swords; adding a sword or a generic essence shouldn't automagically give it those abilities.

And finally, just shards is too easy. If anything, it makes sense to need to upgrade a sword using ingredients from its biome of origin.

Oh, and just for the record, Hallowed equipment had its recipes simplified not because the recipe was too complicated but because of two completely different factors- One, the recipes were completely idiotic, and two, because the addition of alternate ores would make those recipes hellish to code with the way the game currently handles crafting recipes... which reminds me, I should make that thread I was thinking about pertaining to revamping the crafting handler so problems like that don't arise.

Essence of Water - Can be thrown to turn Dirt into Mud, Grass into Jungle Grass, and Sand into Quicksand, which you sink into, and finally, Silt into Slush. You can also use this in the crafting of the Twin Flails (Fire and Water)

Essence of Fire - Turns Sand into Glass (and for the record, this does mean that you can turn the Sand of the deserts right into glass, if you wanted to), mud into dirt, dirt into Ash, and Slush into Silt. You can also use this in the crafting of the Twin Flails (Water and Fire)

Twin Flails - A weapon that has large potential, this potential is harnessed by making it 2 flail heads that come out, one made of Essence of Fire, and another made of Essence of Water.
Crafting Recipe - 50 Essence of Water + 50 Essence of Fire + 15 Hallowed Bars

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom