Other Shared Worlds

Do you think people should be able to share worlds with another? Do you think it is possible?

• No, but possible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's impossible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pajrc

Official Terrarian
So I was playing some gamemode with some other people, and I ended getting me and two people into a playthrough (idk their forum names, but on steam they're DogeNinja and snivyplaysgames)

I was host, so whenever I quit, everybody left. Most of the time I would want to leave (to do something else), but no one else wanted to leave, and (more DogeNinja than snivyplaysgames) were even salty if I HAD to leave. Today DogeNinja said to me:
"if i was host i wouldn't worry
just be 'ok,cya' "

What I'm suggesting is that multiple players "own" one world, and if two get on at the same time, they play together.
This means a new selection in "Multiplayer", entitled "Shared Worlds", and this would be a Steam-Only thing (UNLESS you can think of a way to put it on other things that sell Terraria).
If you create a shared world, you click "Share" next to the steam name when the overlay opens up (exactly the same as inviting people through steam)
Obviously you can share the world with more people if something goes wrong or someone wants to join you.
Furthermore, if someone just wants to do like a quick trade, they can come on, but ONLY if someone who has it shared with them invites them (temporarily) or shares it with them (which makes it so they can come on anytime).
If two people have a world shared, either both can be on at the same time, or either one. The creator does NOT need to be on for anyone else to get on. This would ultimately fix any hosting problems, because no host is needed.
Gameplay on shared worlds is the same as hosting and playing through steam.
Sorry if I'm being steam-centric, I've never tried anything else for PC gaming.
If no player is on the world, it doesn't run, just to reduce lag and battery drain.

What you're basically looking for is a 24/7 server. It'd mean that Steam would have to start hosting Terraria servers; they're not going to do that. You'd have to rent server space or set one up at home.
And if they'd allow people to download a map, change it and upload it again, what if two people download the map, play in separate sessions (because the usual host is not hosting right now) and reupload after they quit? Then the uploaded map will have the changes from whoever quit last.

I like this idea! But I think there needs to be a change in your suggestion because I don't think it would be possible to do your original idea without paying money for hosting a server. So here's the change:

If a world was shared with me the way you would enter it is through single player. Doing this would make a new selection when clicking Single Player which is "Shared Worlds". Of course when clicking Multiplayer the option "Share a World" would still be there, but anyways. If I go on the shared world, you're basically in single player mode now except any changes you make to the world happen in the multiplayer world. Of course it would only happen if the host is offline. But here's where some complicated stuff happens.
If there was a 3rd person who plays on the server with that world but the host isn't there you would think you can't play with him on the shared world but I came up with a PROBABLY complicated way to deal with that. You could download the shared world and link it with another world (of course with the owners permission) so you could host that world while playing with a friend. Doing this will still allow the shared world option with the other player you give permission to. Doing this will also make it so any changes on the downloaded world will happen to the original world.

Well we already have a cloud sharing system so it wouldn't be too hard to have shared Cloud worlds, but i believe for it too work it have only open-able in multiplayer so two players aren't in single-player on the world Because then stuff will duplicate and the world will only save the Last player to leave the worlds work

Last edited:
Allow me:

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

As @Gotcha! has said, the issues with this suggestion outweigh the benefits of having this. No support.
The thing is though, is that Steam wouldn't have to Run a server 24/7 It could just launch a Player hosted server when a player joins then when the other players try to connect they all join that persons server then once they get off Server goes down, Everything Updates in the world and Then a new player can host it with all the same Progress that was Previously made

What you're basically looking for is a 24/7 server. It'd mean that Steam would have to start hosting Terraria servers; they're not going to do that. You'd have to rent server space or set one up at home.
And if they'd allow people to download a map, change it and upload it again, what if two people download the map, play in separate sessions (because the usual host is not hosting right now) and reupload after they quit? Then the uploaded map will have the changes from whoever quit last.
I think it's more like a world saved to the cloud that multiple ppl can access. Look at Grounded's shared world system for example.

Once upon a time on xbox there was a glitch to save other people's worlds I had one before of someone else's world. I have no idea how it saved on my xbox but, it happened.

Technically it's possible to do so, but you need some knowledge of computers to find the world files and put them where they go. The ability to do it within the game client would be much nicer and more accessible.

Back
Top Bottom