Showcase [Showcase] Conway's Game Of Life | 1.3.1 Wiring Creation

idkwhoiam129

Steampunker
Hello hello! Since the release of the 1.3.1 update, I've been very busy with the new logic gates and wires. I decided to get straight to it and build Conway's Game Of Life. If you don't know what this is, I'll give a description. Here is also a link to a more in depth description: http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/

The Game Of Life is composed of an array of cells. Each cell has a state: on or off. Each cell also has 8 neighbors. A neighbor is one of the other cells surrounding that cell. At each clock pulse, the cells are updated according to certain rules. The rules are as followed:
If the cell state is on:
each cell with 0 or 1 neighbors is turned off
each cell with 2 or 3 neighbors stays on
each cell with 4 or more neighbors is turned off
If the cell state is off:
each cell with exactly 3 neighbors is turned on

Here's the vdeo!

World Download: http://bit.ly/1UemGVQ

Here are some screenshots as well:

Cell array (16x16):
5ef2a733cb.png

"Glider" shape:

96e56c0875.png

Wiring:
47971b745f.png

Individual cell (no wires):
692affea3f.png

Individual cell (with wires):
353fb46c7a.png

Dang. I noticed you had some.... odd.... item values, what mod were you using?

Great job btw, this is one of a few complete 1.3.1 creations, a lot of them, including mine, are partial things meant just for research/testing/ parts for bigger things, and you've completed yours.

Wow, it seems like only a couple days ago we were first talking about the possibility of this.... Oh, wait, it was!

I guess all there is to do with this particular project would be to aim for moar cells, faster! See if there's a better logic structure for counting the number of bits than my clunky shifter idea. (That binary operation has a technical name too, what is it?) Also looking for ways to make the cell's state changes a little more visible on the map. (I wonder if pixel boxes show - you could potentially have a complete boarder of those, as wire will route across them without turning them on.)

But anyway. Bravo! :happy:

Dang. I noticed you had some.... odd.... item values, what mod were you using?

Great job btw, this is one of a few complete 1.3.1 creations, a lot of them, including mine, are partial things meant just for research/testing/ parts for bigger things, and you've completed yours.
It's an online player editor. Here's the link: http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/
[doublepost=1464648119,1464647906][/doublepost]
Wow, it seems like only a couple days ago we were first talking about the possibility of this.... Oh, wait, it was!

I guess all there is to do with this particular project would be to aim for moar cells, faster! See if there's a better logic structure for counting the number of bits than my clunky shifter idea. (That binary operation has a technical name too, what is it?) Also looking for ways to make the cell's state changes a little more visible on the map. (I wonder if pixel boxes show - you could potentially have a complete boarder of those, as wire will route across them without turning them on.)

But anyway. Bravo! :happy:
Haha, indeed it was only a couple days ago! I know of the term "shift register". Is that what you are thinking of? I always have trouble with the map haha. I might check out pixel boxes. I could improve the speed of it by just hooking up the timer to itself (scrap the 1 sec timer). It could go maybe 3 times faster? I;d have to check.

They are like junction boxes. Need to have a horizontal and vertical connection to them to activate off the same wire trip. @DownsPath has been playing with them a lot: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-pixel-box-tutorial.44203/ and http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/pixel-box-display-0-9-with-wires-now.44237/
Thank you! That helped me figure them out. Although sadly, They don't change on the map and I don't think they would work anyways.. I honestly can't think of a better display :( But I will be sure to increase the speed of the contraption

I worked on a shorter timer and I've done some quick testing. The clock goes as fast as the machine can handle. I took a video of the clock running and slowed it down to determine how fast it works.
The video is exactly 10 seconds long, running at half the recording speed. And from that I did some calculations. I timed how many frames there are in between every time the torch toggles states. The clock went through 8 full iterations (how long the clock took to complete a full loop) and went about half way through the 9th. Apparently each loop took a different number of frames so I recorded them here:
iteration 1: 42 frames
iteration 2: 30 frames
iteration 3: 41 frames
iteration 4: 30 frames
iteration 5: 45 frames
iteration 6: 30 frames
iteration 7: 31 frames
iteration 8: 38 frames

If we take the average of that, we can see the average number of frames per iteration, which is approximately 39. The video was recorded at 30 fps, so we can conclude each frame iteration took 1.3 seconds. However, this is at half speed, so it takes twice as long per iteration. So we half the 1.3 seconds and get the real speed of the clock: 0.65 seconds. So the clock activates every 0.65 seconds... We can do 1/0.65 to see the speed of the clock.

So with all this, we can see that the fastest the machine can run is at ~1.539 updates per second, or every 0.65 seconds.

The issue though for me is that my computer can not handle all these updates and the lag drastically reduces this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom